Questionable Guest Profile

Bryan87
Level 1
Halifax, Canada

Questionable Guest Profile

I received an infomation request from someone today who indicated they are coming to Halifax for a karate tournament with two other friends. The dates work for me and on the surface it seems like it would be a good rental. That said, her profile says she is from the US, she indicated to me she is from Montreal and her rentals are in Equador. It just makes me a bit nervous. Please advise...

6 Replies 6
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Maybe she came from Montreal and now lives in the US, @Bryan87.  Perhaps there is something else that is raising a question for you.  I have seen that the communication, good or bad, will influence my judgement of the profile.

@Bryan87, if the strangeness of the geography worries you, the best person to ask is the prospective guest.

Just say what you noticed:

"Hello! I noticed your profile lists the USA, you have told me about being from Montreal, and you stay in AirBnBs in Ecuador. Is there an interesting story behind this?"

Rene-and-Zac0
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Bryan87 I’m not too positive the geographic details of guest profiles are always correct on Airbnb through no fault of the guest. Over Thanksgiving, we had some guest stay with us for a few days. Their information said they were from Canada first. Then it changed to Taiwan. Well on Thanksgiving holiday, I sent them a quick message telling them how stores and attractions will be closed anD how normally we enjoy a large meal with family and friends blah blah blah. They send a note back ‘Happy Turkey day! We’re from Santa Clara’. 

So thought they were from Taiwan because it was on their profile.anyway, trust but verify.

’You know it’s hard out here for a host’

Shahana1
Level 2
Colombo, Sri Lanka

Hi, I have a request for a booking which I don't feel too comfortable as there is no Guest Profile,photo, place from where the booking has originated  nor reviews on Airbnb.

Can someone please assist me how to handle such a request.

Appreciate your feedback

Thank you.

Shahana

@Shahana1, if this is just a request, then immediately send a message to the guest and tell them that you only rent to guests that have a full AirBnB profile (including clear photo, and verified information). Tell them that as a host you have to Approve or Decline them within 24 hours, so to please complete their profile immediately.

Tell them if the profile is not completed quickly, you will have to Decline their request.

Hi Mathew, thank you for this valuable piece of advise. Highly appreciate your prompt reponse, as I'm a new host and need some community support as well.

Thanks again and have a great day!