Really interesting podcast on creating accomodating spaces

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

Really interesting podcast on creating accomodating spaces

I was listening to the CBC last night on the way home, and I heard a very interesting piece about how to make spaces accomodating. It was focused on hotels, but it made points that could be applied to Airbnb spaces as well. A really good listen, and I hope some of you fellow hosts will enjoy it:

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/podcasts/documentaries/the-best-of-ideas/

It's the second one down, entitled:

The Accommodating Space: A Hotel Check-In

5 Replies 5
Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

Just starting my cleaning, so I’m taking this in the bathroom with me 😉 

Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

@Alexandra316 A very  interesting take on hotels including The Shining 😉  it made my cleaning go so much faster...I should listen to more podcasts.

One thing that really surprised me was the injuries that the staff received from doing all those ‘cleaning and preparation tasks’  Have to say I’ve felt a few twinges when down on my knees  in the shower getting into those corners .

Look after yourselves people! 

@Ria16Yeah, I feel the same way: I should make more of an effort to download them and listen. I really like Ideas in particular: it's often good. 

I totally see how people could get injuries like repetitive strain injuries from cleaning rooms. They only get 15 minutes per room to clean, which is crazy to me. Those mattresses are also super heavy. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Alexandra316  There is also a super interesting book that was written in the seventies by a group of young architects from Berkeley. They spent years studying what makes homes and communities "livable", gleaning information from around the world, from mud hut villages to world class cities. What they put together is a very unusual book- it has really short, sometimes half-page information. Every page has a numbered heading, and at the bottom of the page are links to other numbers of pages that talk more about similar things. So there is a page on balconies- it states that balconies that are less than 6' wide seldom get used. It will talk a bit more about this, then link to other pages that talk about balconies and terraces, maybe seating areas. 

There's things there that seem counterintuitive- like they spoke about windows and said that when you have a stunning view, that it's actually better to put in various interestingly shaped windows on that wall, at varying heights, rather than a huge picture window. That the view will be much more interesting seen from different angles and different heights, and that one big window tends to be something people get used to and don't even pay attention to the view anymore. And that if you want to "bring the outside in", that is better achieved with long windows which start 12 inches off the floor, rather than a big horizontal window at eye height.

I used that book a lot for ideas when I was designing my house here in Mexico.

It's called "A Pattern Language". Don't know if still in print, but you could probably order from the library or find on Amazon.

@Sarah977That sounds really interesting: I'll check it out. I'm interested in architechture too, and it sounds like there might be some intersections.