Refund for Cancellations due to Covid19

Jordan478
Level 2
Copenhagen, Denmark

Refund for Cancellations due to Covid19

Hi,

Just like everyone here I have had all the bookings on my calendar cancelled by guests due to Covid-19.

Although I have a strict refund policy, the guests have been refunded the full amount. I saw on the 30th of March, that Airbnb will give us hosts 25% of each cancelled reservation because of Covid. When is that going to happen  and do I need to apply for it somehow, as I have not received any more information on this?

Thanks a lot!

13 Replies 13

I posted roughly the same thing this morning. I called up Airbnb (got through surprisingly quick) and asked them, where I was put on hold for 5 mins because she had no idea herself. Apparently it's being processed in dribs and drabs,  so not all at once. However they should all be processed with the next couple of weeks. I don't know whether they're guessing at this or not, all I know is it says on their website that hosts who qualify will receive an email at the start of April, which clearly isnt happening.  Plus I'm still waiting for an email regarding their superhost grant programme, which I am qualified for.  After reading on this forum that some hosts already have their email they all seem to be from the US, some worldwide community eh? I guess we just have to be patient as they seem to be looking after their home country first, unless someone can prove otherwise. 

I notice I had not received a notification email when I had guests cancel. I only knew when I went through the cancellation section and saw. I had always received notice of any change on my bookings. Also do we have to ask if they are cancelling due to covid? Is that our responsibility? Or do they note that when they cancel? This is very confusing. 

David3267
Level 10
Torquay, United Kingdom

I won't hold my breath as Airbnb seem to do whatever they please, when they please!

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

>>I saw on the 30th of March, that Airbnb will give us hosts 25% of each cancelled reservation because of Covid<<

That's not quite right, @Jordan478. You actually get 25% of what you'd have received per your cancellation policy. So if you'd normally get 50% if cancelled seven days out, you'd actually get 25% of that 50%. You'll only get the full 25% if cancelations come in during the 'no 
refund' period, ie. -7 days.

Natalie781
Level 1
Oban, United Kingdom

I was just about to post a very similar question. Some clarity from Airbnb re how any refunds/support (50%, 25% etc)  from cancellations would be much appreciated.  I can't find anywhere on official Help/Info pages.

Some of my cancellations due to Covid are showing as part payouts due and some as £0, even though on same timescale/leadtime to cancel.  Will we be paid out according to the original reservation date?  Or is a different process being followed for Covid cancellations i.e.  payout will come through as and when Airbnb get round to processing?

For many people (like myself) I'm sure they are reliant on Airbnb as a main source of income, with little support from the UK government for self employed in this industry.  As I say, some clarity re how / when payout will happen would be much appreciated right now!

Norene1
Level 4
Bar Harbor, ME

I have not had any guests cancel. I have a no cancellation policy. All my reservations are from the end of June till mid October. As I read it all of my guests will receive 100% refund if they cancel but as I read it this is only for reservations up till May 31st. Am I reading this wrong? It sounds to me like I won't be eligible for at 25% refund. Can anyone clarify this for me? I'd like to request that my guests cancel and be able to give them the correct information. I intend to cancel 2020 entirely.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Norene1 

In theory, only the guests with reservations up to 31st May will receive full refunds and you should be entitled to 25% of your cancellation fee for those bookings. Right now, guests with reservations 1st June onwards would pay as per your normal cancellation terms, unless they can provide some evidence under the normal extenuating circumstances policy. If you are asking guests to cancel bookings after 31st May, then really you should be the one cancelling and refunding, but that's not the wisest move considering the penalties.

However, all this could change as Airbnb could extend the COVID-19 policy dates. Even if they don't, there have been many cases reported where Airbnb are fully refunding guests whose dates fall outside of that policy. Whether the host then gests anything in the way of compensation is anyone's guess...

@Norene1 

My understanding is that if your guests cancel they will be refunded per your policy BUT they will lose the Airbnb 15% service fee (or whatever its called)

If you cancel then you will be fined by Airbnb.

Rock and hard place come to mind

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Jordan478 

When my last guest cancelled I got an email saying they had cancelled a part of which is shown below

I didn't do anything to either cancel or approve the cancellation. The guest is working on getting their money back - They will let me know how they get on.

Hope this helps

Your guest Helen can’t travel due to the COVID-19 pandemic and they’ve cancelled their stay at your place.
Airbnb will share in the costs of COVID-19 cancellations
Even though your guest cancelled under the extenuating circumstances policy, we want to support you in these tough times with a payment from our coronavirus emergency support fund – it should arrive in your account within 4 weeks.

Sam397
Level 10
Reno, NV

This was my last cancellation notice, I didnt have to request anything.
 Your guest        can’t travel due to the COVID-19 pandemic and they’ve canceled their stay at your place.
Airbnb will share in the costs of COVID-19 cancellations
Even though your guest canceled under the extenuating circumstances policy, we want to support you in these tough times with a payment from our coronavirus emergency support fund—it should arrive in your account within 4 weeks.
Your listing can help the COVID-19 relief effort
Join Airbnb hosts around the world in providing a safe and convenient place for healthcare providers, relief workers, and first responders to stay. We’re waiving all fees for this program.
Get started by updating your listing and committing to disinfection cleanings in between stays.
Thanks for being a host.
The Airbnb Team

Audrey455
Level 4
Colorado Springs, CO

At this point, I think Airbnb is doing whatever they want.  They keep changing who gets a refund or not.  So basically everyone gets nothing.  Has anyone out there even gotten a $1 yet????

Noel624
Level 1
Moira, United Kingdom

I see most of the posts here, if not all are from hosts, but it is no clearer or accommodating for the guest either.

I had to cancel my travel arrangements because the UK Government has restricted non-essential travel due to risk of COVID. I also considered personally irresponsible to put myself at risk by travelling in the current health situation.

My host was kind enough to accept this and agreed to a full refund of the 50% deposit I had paid, however Airbnb has been fobbing me off for two months now. They are wanting to deduct a 25% fee, which they state is going to the host, however the host assures me they have received no monies form Airbnb at all.

I have spent hours and hours being pushed between Airbnb resolution centre and the host. Airbnb is a nightmare to communicate with. Even if i accept the cancellation fee, on one screen is states the refund will be less one amount and when I try to process the refund request the refund value is less again.

I will avoid using Airbnb again if I possible can...

@Noel624 

In France, the law forbids to repay travellers for covid reasons.

Not to loose money, travellers must change there dates and the host must offer a similar service without increasing the price.

My guest could not come in June 2020 and she changed her dates to come in July 2021.

When guest and host respect the law, nobody loose.