Remote Key Access

Remote Key Access

Hello fellow hosters.  I'm looking for recommendations for the best and least expensive remote key access so that I don't have to pay someone to let my guests in every time.  Would love to know what tool or hardware you use.

Thanks!

7 Replies 7
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

We use the Schlage Sense and love it. 

Susie5
Level 10
Boston, MA

@Lori145, probably more low-tech than you want, but I use a key lockbox on the door handle and I send them the code via Airbnb text about a week in advance. I've recently put an extra key in an extra lockbox in another part of the property for emergency use (if they lost the key for example).

It works well and only cost about $25.  They don't have to have a smart phone - some of my visitors from abroad have phones which don't work in the US, and they are yet not inside to get access to my wifi info.... They can check in any time, and I haven't had a problem in about 150 groups. So far so good!  Susie

Josie-and-Paul0
Level 2
Sydney, Australia

We have a Lockwood Assa Abloy electronic keypad. It doesn’t need to connect to wifi. Just needs to be set. You have a master pin and you can set and delete multiple user pins. Very convenient. There is also a keyhole and can be used for emergencies. Guests don’t seem to have an issue with you. I send very clear instructions on how to use it 1-2 days before check in as agreed with the guest when the booking is confirmed.

Rene-and-Zac0
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Lori145 We recently put in the Schlage with Zwave WiFi interface. You can remotely lock and unlock the door. It holds like 30 active codes at a time,  Has an alarm if someone tampers with the door and it automatically locks after 30 seconds. You don’t have to connect it to the internet and I use an old school lock box with a key as a back up in case the battery dies. Well worth the $150 and I installed it myself. It also doesn’t have a monthly subscription fee like other smart locks. 

Nia0
Level 3
California, United States

eRentalLock.com has the best solution.

I have used it since 2013.

It doesn't use Wi-Fi.  

You buy it online and install.

After the initial purchase there are no other fees.

They also have great tech support.

HOW IT WORKS:

This company from Canada buys Schlage Locks and modifies them to work with their software.

Guests get a 10 digit code that they can reset to a 3 or 4 digit code for their stay.  No Keys Needed.

The lock has a battery and knows its serial number and date/time.  

From that it can look at the 10 digit code and determin the start and stop times.

The lock will only open between those times.

The lock comes with regular keys so I have one and the bulding manager has one.

HOW I USE IT:

When someone books I ask for their personal email so I can send them a 10-digit code for the front door.

I log on to the web site or on my downloaded phone app.

I enter the Name and arrival and departure dates and times.

A document is created with the 10-digit code and pre-written Lock instructions that I have modified with my own comments.

At the top of the document is an "email" button.  I put in the persons email and it is sent to them.

On the software I can also see a listing of every person who has had a code.  

This is a great way for me to keep track of my guests and also my cleaning crew or workers.

I make a 2 year code for myself so my family never needs a key.

ADDED SECURITY:

There is a USB thumb drive in the lock that records every time the door is opened and closed and with which codes.

You can open the lock (like when you change the battery every year or so) put the thumb drive into your pc and look at the data.

If you had an incident and needed to prove who was going in and out then this would be hard proof.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and leads!  Happy hosting. 

Madhura0
Level 3
United States

You may want to check out Rboy Apps, they have an app called Rental Lock Automater (RLA) which I've been using for years and am thoroughly impressed with it as it automates the entire process. Once a renter makes a reservation on airbnb, RLA picks it up, generates a guest lock code based on the last 4 digits of the phone numbers and sends a personalized text message to the renter. It automatically enables the code when it's time for them to check in and then disables it once the check out. There's a lot more that RLA does for us including handing our HVAC system when renters arrive/leave which saves us a bunch on the electricity bills and much more, but those are features which require additional hardware like a Z-Wave thermostat. You don't have to but if already have a smartthings hub it's pretty easy to add them.

You can check out more details about RLA on their website, www.rboyapps.com

All you need is a SmartThings hub, a Z-Wave lock (like a Schlage, Yale or Kwikset - personally I prefer Schlage and Yale) and RLA.

I've written a more detailed review of our experience here: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Electronic-Door-Locks/m-p/697961/highlight/true#M159188