Renting to first timers

Rod44
Level 1
Kailua-Kona, HI

Renting to first timers

So, been hosting for a number of years and all my experiences have been great.  I just wonder when my/our luck is due to change....paranoid???  What sort of chance am I taking when I accept the reservation for someone who has just joined Airbnb?  No references....if I am really that worried, should I only consider those who have a guest reference.....no first timers??  

Would appreciate opinions on this.  Other than getting driver's license information and e-mails, what sort of "look up" has Airbnb done????

Thanks

4 Replies 4
Laylee0
Level 6
Gateshead, United Kingdom

@Rod44  I’m glad to hear all your experiences have been great if you’ve been hosting that long!

I don’t think Airbnb does any extra checks but what I do is just go by instinct. So I look at how they sound in their message. Does anything make me feel uncomfortable? Then I’ll make sure they’ve read and understood the house rules (I know they’re told by Airbnb to do this when booking but I don’t think many people bother). If they’re staying longer than a week I’d make it clear that it’s not a room in a shared house (as most first timers seem to think it is, in my experience) therefore it’s not ok to leave your stuff in shared spaces, sleep on the sofa, take long phone calls in shared spaces, leave your dirty dishes,  etc etc (all stuff that’s happened at mine with first-timers). (I do have this written in my large room listing though so hopefully wouldn’t need to say it.) 

If I feel uncomfortable I’ll just say something like, “Thanks for your interest. Sorry I don’t accept guests with no reviews anymore. This is to ensure the comfort and safety of other guests.” I’ve only had to do that once or twice and they were fine about it as plenty other people will take first timers too. 

But some of my first timers have been some of my favourite guests and repeat guests! So ultimately it’s your call! 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Rod44  I don't think Airbnb does any kind of check on guests, even though they claim they do. We can't rely on Airbnb for that.  There have been reports on this forum from hosts who found out that their terrible guests had warrants out for their arrest. That said, I don't think it's particularly likely, as the majority of the population aren't criminals.

Same as Laylee, I've accepted many guests with no reviews, and communication is key- the tone and content of their messages. All have turned out to be lovely guests. If they don't send an informative initial message accompanying their Request (I don't use IB), I'll ask a few questions and make sure they've thoroughly read the listing description. 

However, unlike Laylee, I don't have a big list of rules or feel I need to warn them beforehand about not taking over shared spaces, washing their dirty dishes, etc, partly because I only host one guest at a time and partly because I've been lucky enough to get respectful guests who don't do things like that.

If I had a first-timer who seemed clueless, I'd have no problem asking them to do things differently when in my home if need be.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Rod44 

We all had to start from somewhere Rod...once upon a time we are all first timers!

Tell me Rod, how would you look at a booking request like this?......

I have inset the booking request into what was an entirely blank profile so you can see how this request came to me.

Cleanskin.png

Well I accepted that request, on the basis of the nice way she worded her request.

She turned out to be a great guest and this is the review I had pleasure in giving for her.

Cleanskin 2.png

I have learned over the years Rod, it's the way they come to you that is important, not whether they have a bunch of fine reviews and verification's behind them.

If I were you Rod, I would take the risk. I have hosted a few cleanskins and they have all turned out to be fine. In fact they try extra hard to get their Airbnb career off on a good footing!

Cheers.....Rob

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Rod44 

It's not the booking guest you need to worry about it's the other guests they bring with them who are totally anonymous.

As a family group you might be OK, but a mixed/friends group could be an issue.

5 friends could check-in at 5 different places as first time users, wreck the places, get bad reviews and the next friend books next time...

For this reason, I state in my booking requirements that the booking guest needs to have a fully verified Airbnb account with some form of official government ID and that all the other guests over 16 are listed on the itinerary. The booking guest does this by inviting the other guests to the booking and Airbnb just registers them. Their names and email address is all they need but its surprising that the emails are not known by the booking guest, so additionally, and if the itinerary is not complete, I register guests at check-in checking their ID if required. My terms and House Rules are on the check-in form exactly as they are on the Airbnb booking terms, if I have problems, I have their addresses - if needed.