Resolution - Guest Damage

Pippi1
Level 3
Auckland, New Zealand

Resolution - Guest Damage

We had a guest leave tattoo ink all over our linen. Our claim has been accepted by Air BnB but they are giving me no answer or evasive responses when I ask when we will actually be paid. I have contacted them many times and am feeling very frustrated. I am a Super Host but I don't know if  doing Air BnB is worth it given the run around.

I haven't yet placed a review on the guest because  they could retaliate. How do you deal with this issue?

5 Replies 5
Noel102
Level 10
Houston, TX

The last time I had to deal with AirBnB with a damage claim, it was pretty quick and painless.  Once the payment was approved we had the money in our account in one business day.  This seems like a really easy claim, as long as you can show proof of the cost.

Have you actually reached out to the guest about the issue?  You might be able to get them to pay you for it directly.  The last time I had serious damage, the guest just sent me money to cover repairs via the AirBnB app and I never had to submit a claim.  I suggest sending the guest a message saying something like, "I hope you enjoyed your stay.  It was a pleasure to host you, but we did have an issue with the linens.  There appears to be some sort of ink or dye on them that I've been unable to remove using tried and true stain-removing methods.  I was hoping you might be able to tell me what it is so I can try to find a way to avoid having to replace them."  If they don't get the hint or don't respond, be more direct about telling them how much they cost and ask if they are willing to cover the cost of replacement.  If they agree, you can use the "Request Money" feature.

Realistically, linens are consumables - You're going to have to replace them more often than you want.  As for the review, if there was nothing else worng with the guests, I would probably not give them a really negative review.  I would give a very generic, neutral review and provide private feedback about the linens.  If they were all-around bad guests, then I would be negative, but professional about it.

Pippi1
Level 3
Auckland, New Zealand

@Noel102 - I did ask them directly to pay for the damage but they did not respond. I got AirBnB involved and they approved my claim  but won't respond to me and tell me when it will be paid. 

@Pippi1 If you don't get the money within one or two business days, you should definitely escalate it to a case manager.

Pippi1
Level 3
Auckland, New Zealand

They are still being evasive and unhelpful in their responses and the case manager has not got back to me for several days. How do I escalate this?

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Pippi1 Airbnb doesn’t actually collect the security deposit ahead of time.  They are supposed to be able to get the money when there’s a claim.  Sounds like they’re having a hard time getting the funds from the guest.