Reviewing a guest

Ashley2
Level 2
Minneapolis, MN

Reviewing a guest

Hi!

We recently had our third booking this past weekend. Our first two went really well - respected the house rules and didn't do any minor damage. Our third guests, however, did some minor things that were a bit irritating, but I'm not sure if it should be mentioned in their visibile review or just mention it to them in the private review section. Since our listing is our full time home, we asked that people respect our personal belongings. The guests had a few items of furniture moved around, a plant used as my table centerpiece was set onto a different plant stand, which broke one of the stalks, candle wax droppings are scattered on the floor around the table, they used some sort of tape on our basement floor which caused the paint on the floor to lift off in a 9 foot x 3 foot outline, and when they left the house, the temp was set at 80 degrees when we returned home (house rules ask that when leaving the home, please set back to our regular 68 degrees).

As a host, are these just expected irritations or would you note these in a review of the guest?

Thanks for any help!

Ashley

4 Replies 4
Deborah0
Level 10
California, United States

@Ashley2

No, these are not the kinds of things we as hosts would expect any guest to do, or which we should just have to sit back and endure politely.  THese are all indications of a thoughtless or inconsiderate guest,  a disrespectful guest. They violated house rules, and damaged your property.  When doing a review of any guest, it is helpful to think -- wouldn't you like to have been warned about these guests, by a previous host that they had stayed with?  Your review of these guests is your opportunity to warn future hosts about what they are like, so that future hosts have the opportunity to make an informed decision about whether to accept these individuals.  It is irresponsible (both to the host, and to the environment, in terms of the waste of energy/natural resources) to set a thermostat at 80 degrees at any time, let alone leave it that way after leaving a place.  Guests should not expect that hosts would permit their home to be used as a sauna.  

Your review might go something like this, "Jenny and Jim were pleasant people and communicated well, but did not show adequate respect for our property.   Candle wax was was spilled on the floor and not removed,  a large section of paint was damaged on another floor, and  the thermostat was left at 80 degrees upon departure.  We hope that  Jenny and Jim would be more considerate in the future when staying in other's homes."  Sometimes hosts will also add, "I would not recommend Jenny and Jim to other hosts" or "Jenny and Jim are more suited to stay in a hotel", if that is how they feel. 

IN other words, do express the ways that they were good guests, but also make sure to briefly discuss the problems you had.  Reviews are best when they are concise, you use a calm, neutral, professional tone, and stay focused on the facts.  

I suggest you (and all hosts) have a house rule prohibiting use of candles -- particularly if guests are simply setting candles right onto the floor, this could result in a fire and a tragic loss of your home.  

@Deborah0

I apprecaite your expertise very much! I'm not one to tolerate those types of inconsiderate actions. Tough easy to communicate with, the guest did leave me a bit upset, and I just wanted to confirm with someone that I'm not far off on feeling that way. I do charge a cleaning fee and expect to change the sheets and clean the bathroom and floors, etc. but not to have to repaint sections of my basement floor and scrape candle wax off of the hardwood! And the 80 degree temps left me a bit miffed. The thermostat is very self explanitory - up arrow for higher desired temp, down arrow for lower desired temp.

I will be sure to mention these items in the review for future hosts sake and be sure to add a no candle rule!

Thanks very much again!

Ashley

@Deborah0

I also JUST realized our hair dryer we leave for our Airbnb guests is missing...

How do you handle stolen items?

Deborah0
Level 10
California, United States

For damages done by guests, or anything stolen by gueats. the process is the same ---you submit a claim on the guest's security deposit which should be done within 48 hours of their departure go to

Www.airbnb.com/resolutions

To fill out claim form