SUSPECTED ADDT GUESTS FOR UPCOMING RESERVATION

Jayne34
Level 4
Deltona, FL

SUSPECTED ADDT GUESTS FOR UPCOMING RESERVATION

I get a lot of spring breakers in my area and its that time again.  I charge a flat rate for 4 guests but allow up to 6 for $25.00 per person, per night over 4.  I state since there are only 2 beds to request in advance for a roll away if needed.  I just had my reservation for next week of 4 college students request a roll away so I asked to verify that their were only 4.  She responded yes BUT they have friends renting in the area, was it ok for them to come over and "hang out".  I replied  that was fine but there was a fee for any staying overnight and I needed to know asap if this would be the case as I only had a small twin rollaway and would need to get a bigger one if more than 1..  She then asked how much "just to be safe".  After I told her the addt guest charges Ive heard nothing further.  It is pretty obvious by requesting the the rollaway and the amount after learning it was just a twin that more than 4 are coming. Ive had groups of 8 or more show up. It sounds like they are going to be pretty sneaky and I cant camp outside to see how many stay. How am I supposed to know how many guests there really are, if some really are just hanging out or staying, then collect without flatout calling her a liar?

Jayne Rocco
4 Replies 4
Julie143
Level 10
Princeton, NJ

Short answer:  Ring doorbell camera

edit: cameras need to be disclosed to guests

Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

@Jayne34  If it were me I would mention in the listing and houserules that only registred guests are allowed on the premises because of insurance reasons - any guest (if you are okay with guests) must be registred before check-in with names and there will be added 25 dollars/person no matter if they stay overnight or not. 

Put up one of those cameras as Julie mentions and write that there will be a fine of 1000 dollars if not followed. 

I don't think you can put up a camera for this group if it wasn't mentioned in the listing when she booked.

Is there a friendly neighbor who can alert you if they see more than 4 guests there?  And I'd say definitely no to the "friends hanging out". They can hang out at a cafe, bar, park, whatever, they don't need to come into your home. Even if they're not staying the night, they're going to be using up hot water, toilet paper, soap and other amenities, not to mention the security risk for you having unregistered people there, and young ones to boot.

Linda-And-Richard0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

@Jayne34Spring Break means extra people sleeping on the floor, in sleeping bags, air mattresses or on the front porch.  I would tell this guest NO to any visitors wanting to hang out.  Set your occupany limit and stick to your guns.  Install a camera at the front door to monitor who is coming and going.  I have a family member that thinks nothing of renting a condo that sleeps 8 and then arriving with 14 people.  I told him/her they are cheating the host and should be ashamed of themselves.   Personally, I would never rent to college students during spring break or any other time.