Security deposit

Stephanie26
Level 2
Seattle, WA

Security deposit

I just received the below email from airbnb telling me I was getting it as I had a security deposit in my listing.  However, I do not have a security deposit in my listing.   I used the link provided to read up on the new policy, and it seems to indicate even if you do not have a deposit, airbnb will require one, choose a value, and make it prominent in your listing.  Does anybody know what is going on here?

Please review your security deposit settings

22 Replies 22
Brian899
Level 1
Maryland, United States

Just got this notification as well. +1 on looking for clarification as to what exactly Airbnb is or is not instituting as mandatory.

Jaysa0
Level 2
San Francisco, CA

I also got the notification. I already have security deposits on all my properties. However, if I am understanding correctly, it seems they may want to add security deposits for some guests. Maybe guests who have been problematic, have low score reviews, larger groups, younger or some other factor that Airbnb feels an extra measure of security is warrented.

"we may independently require a security deposit for certain reservations"

This makes me really nervous. I wouldn't want that reservation if Airbnb thinks there is something concerning enough to force a security deposit when the host themself hasn't chosen to have one.

Ah, ok, I now can read it the way you are explaining it, Jaysa.  Thank you!   I just don't understand why they told me I was receiving notification since I have a security deposit, when I don't.  Also, It would seem this notification should go to everyone, not just people with security deposits.  In fact, for those group of people, nothing is different?

I understand being nervous, but I guess before the new policy it would not have been any different - meaning, you still would have received a reservation from the problematic guest.  For me, since I don't have a security deposit, it seems it would give me extra protection.

Thanks again!

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

I would love clarification on this as well. I did not see this wording anywhere in my email @Jaysa0 

"we may independently require a security deposit for certain reservations"

Was that in your email? It wasn't in mine.

As my email reads, they are testing holding an ACTUAL security deposit 48 hours prior to check-in for all reservations, as opposed to the "request money after the fact and only collect if the guest agrees" policy they currently have. Meaning, a guest's card will be charged for that deposit and it will only be released after check-out, you know, like 99% of other booking sites/hotels already do!

My email also said at the bottom that if the security deposit hold can't be authorized, the reservation will be subject to cancellation up to 36 hours before check-in.

If this is correct, this is great news for hosts. However, I would assume we still have to depend on CS to authorize release of those funds to hosts if damage claims are made.

There is nothing about this under the "Airbnb Updates" tab.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Stephanie26 

Don't let it concern you Stephanie.....every host in the world got this email.....

Security deposit3.png

I do not set a security deposit.....never have! It is just another company generic mail-out!

Ignore it and get back to hosting......hey!

Cheers......Rob

True! Its a new way for airbnb to made money!!! 

Ivan562
Level 1
Novi Sad, Serbia

The way I understood it is that you can select an amount for a deposit, that does not get charged but is a pretext in case there is a damage done on our properties.  If I understand this right, it does not affect us or the guests, but what I am concerned about is will the amount of deopsit or the absence of one affect the positioning of the listing. Does anybody have an idea regarding the way the algoritam will see this action or inaction ?

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

If they will start actually holding the deposit, it is definitely a step in the right direction

Pablo557
Level 1
Jacksonville Beach, FL

I also received the message as apparently everyone did.

The way I read it is that Airbnb can ask for a security deposit if they think it is needed for whatever reason (bad reviews of the guest, special or expensive features in the listing, etc.). In the case where the host requires a security deposit AND Airbnb deems necessary a security deposit, the deposit does not increase, but stays as selected by the host. In this case, the deposit would be shown more prominently.

The part that I am more hesitant is about the deposit needing "to be authorized on each guest’s payment method 48 hours before check-in." Does this mean that a guest cannot book less than 48 hours before check in? 

Any thoughts? Thanks!

I have this question too.  We occasionally get last minute bookings so I would be interested to know if this new policy means that listings that require a security deposit cannot be booked less than 48 hours before check in.

Dear hosts,

obviously, I have opposite “problem “ . I didn’t set security deposit and I don’t wanna do it. Because I am renting the cheap room, nothing value and I don’t want that guest decide not booking my place because of deposit.  Am I wrong?

Beside that, if I don’t set up, Airbnb will do it, so what I supposed to do?

its not clearly, is this new rule effective for every host?

Thanks for answer! 🤗

@Anna2118 Just set a low security deposit level. Every other host will be needing to, so thats a fair policy.

Also, a reservation for one night would require the same level of deposit as a stay for many nights. This might encourage longer stays?

I've just checked out what AirBnb consider to be my local competition. All accomodate 4-6 whereas we accommodate 8, one has no security deposit, three others have £150. Ours is £200. We set our SD at £200 only recently believing (from forum discussions) that access to these deposits would be easier in the case that they were needed. I don't believe that would entirely be the case now, but the Security Deposit should serve as a detterent to breaking House Rules and random damage. This will work fine on a Single Guest/SD level but once you get into the Booking Guest with Multiple Guests scenario none other than the Booking Guest knows many of the booking details so the existance of the Security Deposit as a detterent would be rather ineffective.

Can AirBnB provide a statement to guests along the lines of; "Your Security Deposit is retained to recompense the host in the event of the Booking Guest or any member of their party breaking House Rules, incurring penalties outlined in the House Rules or causing damage at the accommodation and is not the full extent of the claim against the guest in the event of further damage"  Certainly some clarification would be beneficial (if it doesn't already exist).

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Stephanie26 @Anna2118   I also got the email- I don't charge a security deposit either and don't want to. The email was sent to all hosts by the computer bot, whether they have a deposit or not.

I contacted support about this. They said it does not apply to those who don't charge a security deposit- it won't affect our guests. For those who do have a security deposit listed, Airbnb may put a credit card hold on some guest's cards for the security deposit, as opposed to how they have been doing it, which is just the threat of a charge, rather than actually making sure the funds are held.

I suspect it may be applied to bad guests who have a history of causing damages (although they should delist them from the platform instead), but maybe it's also applied on listings where the host has a history of claiming damages? 

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Sarah977 Whether you want to or not AirBnb might do it for you.

If you don't do it, its worse. If you do it, its better.

According to the Help Centre, if AirBnb decide they want a deposit, then the guests payment method is charged as an authorisation hold 2 days before check-in (actually credit card limit is reduced by the deposit amount). If the Host has a deposit amount stipulated then no authorisation hold is made and the guests credit limit is not affected.

Host having a security deposit is better for the guest as no credit reduction or money is transferred. 

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/140/how-does-airbnb-handle-security-deposits

If AirBnb make a security deposit mandatory, then one can only assume that even AirBnb don't trust the guest, because why otherwise would they be wanting to affirm their own financial position? (Your point about Hosts regularly claiming deposits for damages being excepted).