Special Offer

Manuel621
Level 2
Sydney, Australia

Special Offer

Hi,

I have recently started using Airbnb and have  query when it comes to the special offer. I had come to an agreement of a $1261 for 10 nights stay including service fees. So when i went to put in my special offer i put in $1116 for 10 nights stay as this price does not include the airbnb service fees. I sent the offer to the guest and it stated the guest will pay $1261. This morning when i checked the special offer has changed to $1275, I have not changed anything since last night. Bellow is what it has now been changed to.

Is the special offer not a fixed offer once sent to the guest? 

Subtotal
$
Enter a subtotal that includes any cleaning or extra guest fees. This won’t include service fees or applicable taxes.
$111.60 AUD x 10 nights
$1116.00 AUD
Service fee
$158.80 AUD
Your guest will pay
$1274.80 AUD

$111.60 AUD x 10 nights
$1116.00 AUD
Service fee
-$36.83 AUD
You will earn
$1079.17 AUD

2 Replies 2
Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

@Manuel621  is your guest, by any chance, from a country other than Australia?  i.e. their Airbnb app will be displaying a currency other than AUD?

If so, I wonder if the special price is shown to a guest at a fixed price in their currency, which will then change by the day for you in AUD, until they accept.. Airbnb probably don't take currency exchange risk, they likely pass it on to hosts (up or down).  Your guest shouldn't see the effect of this though, only you would.  It should stay a fixed amount in 'their' currency.

Cor3
Level 10
Langerak, South Holland, Netherlands

Hi @Ben551,

No, it works the other way around.

A host can send a special offer, but a host can only manipulate the host part of the deal. I.e.: Airbnb will automatically calculate the guest service fees, on basis of the amount entered by the host.

Obviously a host can manipulate the host part, in such a way. So it matches the total agreed cost for the trip. I also think, this particular guest paid in a different currency. So, different currency exchange rates will be applied daily.

In other words: The guest will have pick up the bill for currency exchange rate differences. But it can both go down or up. A special offer is only valid for 24 hours.

When I offer a deal (in words), I will always refer to the gross host price (not the guest price, as in essence: we have no control over this).