Surveillance camera

Huyen14
Level 2
Moreno Valley, CA

Surveillance camera

Do I have to show the guests where the surveillance cameras are even though they are only in the common rooms? I did notice them that we have surveillance cameras outdoor and indoor but in common places only.
Like the kitchen, the door and office. I'm afraid if I show them, the guest would use some technical or physical ways to remove the cameras.

11 Replies 11
Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

Yes, you should tell. It’s the only way you won’t get sued, delisted or both. Interior cameras are a sensitive proposition. Tread lightly 

Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

I believe Airbnb has taken a very dim view of video cameras - one local host was delisted for having an undocumented camera. Beware !

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Huyen14

ABB terms of service require you to disclose the locations of any cameras on the property.

Tracey207
Level 4
San Diego, CA

Yes. You are required to inform the guests exactly where the cameras are. If you choose not to, you are risking being delisted by Airbnb and possibly being sued civilly.

Huyen14
Level 2
Moreno Valley, CA

Thanks all!
I asked Airbnb and yes, I need to disclose the locations of cameras. I think I need to prevent any unnecessary issues, that's why I also asked if I can have a house rule as a contractor and have them signed, they said I can.
And I even have them initial that I did disclose the camera for guest and they acknowledge the cameras' location.

@Huyen7

Thanks for reminding us that we are contractors. We can do anything we wish. Of course Airbnb may delist us, but I'm glad that they agreed that you can keep your indoor cameras with  a signed disclosure.

I am curious about your need for cameras in the common areas. I respect your right to do so, but I really can't understand why. Do you have a lot of valuables in your common areas? Do you have experience of guests do damage in the common areas? Have you considered the loss of revenue because of many guests will not choose this well - policed listing?

I do enjoy the ability of  spying on my guests through my Nest thermostat.  It helps me keep my guests honest. 

Michael-and-Beth0
Level 3
Mount Holly, NC

We have cameras at our home in the downstairs area only. We also have one outside on the porch. They are mentioned and listed in our “house rules”, which the guest is suppose to read and agree to before booking. They all became very relevant just last night. We had a couple book with us that only had four reviews, and  with two of them not very good. One of the reviews stated that they were noisy and stayed up all night slamming doors etc. while we have instant book and took the the booking, we also voiced our concerns and asked for their respect while staying with us. Long story short, we heard them moving around the house at midnight and turned the cameras on. Then noticed the guy snooping around the downstairs area like he was looking for something. I came down shorty after and was downstairs for about 10 minutes when he came into the house from our garage. We asked them to leave, and they did. We have since noticed items taken from the garage and in our computer area. An item that was taken was found in the driveway after they left. So for us cameras really work. Especially when you have guests like these. 

Michael-and-Beth0
Level 3
Mount Holly, NC

I might add that our cameras were originally put in place for security reasons along with our security system in the even of a break in. But they play a secondary role as well. Especially in cases like the one I mentioned. 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I think it needs to be very clear that you have CCTV on common areas. I wouldn't stay in a property with CCTV like this, mentioning it in your listing would make sure I didn't book. 

We've been hosting almost 3 years, and it hasn't seemed to hurt us as of yet. We consistantly stay at 97% occupancy, or close to it. 

Glad to hear it, @Michael-and-Beth0, and good for you. It strikes me as a bit creepy, but there's clearly plenty out there who don't agree. Would be dull if we were all the same!