TERRIBLE apartment - TERRIBLE host - LOL Why is my post rejected?

Misty33
Level 2
Mondovi, WI

TERRIBLE apartment - TERRIBLE host - LOL Why is my post rejected?

(This was our first time using Airbnb-we had no idea that we needed to take pictures of the blood on the pull out couch and the dirty bed)  Apartment in Miami reads "Oceanfront, MODERN Apt in South Beach w/Pool" , M&M Motel, Hosted by Leon.  We arrived a bit early and went in to the apartment:  the elevator was out of order, there was garbage in the hallway at the doorway next to his apartment, the stairwell smelled of alcohol/urine smell outside; the apartment bed was dirty on the top, we pulled out the pull out sofa and there was BLOOD on it.  First, I would not stay here - it was not clean and was not what were expected from the "description", but our daughter had an open wound and we needed to be extremely careful.  She had a procedure completed that week we left and it was open/draining - we could not risk her getting some kind of infection.  Immediately we started calling for a hotel to stay at and jumped in an Uber to go look at it prior to reserving it.  We ended up being able to reseve a beautiful hotel room for not much more than the cost of this Airbnb apartment.  WARNING - I communicated with the host after we left and found a place to stay and cancelled our reservation.  The host told me I should have contacted him and refused to refund us our full cost.  He proceeded to tell me that he accepted a last minute reservation and he basically made double what he should have made for that dump.  He came out smelling like a rose and we are out our $$ because we had not idea that we needed to take pictures to prove to the Airbnb what the condition of the apartment was.  He told me that he went in looked at the apartment after I cancelled and told him the issues (which of course he cleaned the blood and bedding I am sure before the next people arrived) - Airbnb will not back us because we do not have pictures.  WE will never recommend or use Airbnb again.

8 Replies 8
Ellie49
Level 2
Orlando, FL

Airbnb's new policy of not showing  guest photographs before confirmed reservations is not a good one.

I had a booking confirmed and the photograph that came through later was of a dog!! Some ill-mannered adult thought it was cute to have a dog as their profile photo. I promptly called Airbnb and asked them to cancel the booking because I dont rent to dogs! They explained that  while they request a photo, the guest does not have to comply and can place a photo of anything on their profile. What kind of nonsense is that?  WHY IS MY PHOTO AVAILABLE TO THE GUEST AND NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND? They did offer to not penalize me for the cancellation! Really???

Airbnb is not doing enough to minimize the risk to their hosts. This guest had the nerve to be upset because I told them I would not accept a booking from anyone whose facial identity is unrecognizable.  And when I do have a facial photo, that is the face I expect to show up on the day of check in, else I  will call the police to minimize potential trouble.

Alice595
Level 10
Concord, CA

@Misty33 It seems that you are new to Airbnb. If you found out the issue, the first thing would be to contact Airbnb and host about the issue.

Normally Airbnb will help you to find a hotel to stay if there are any issue as you mentioned.

We were new to Airbnb.  We did not know any of that and were worried about where we were going to stay.  It's not like we could just give home.  And we will NEVER use Airbnb again because of our experience.  Live and learn, but the condition of that apartment was not ok for anyone, much less someone with an open wound.  

@Misty33 Airbnb listings are provided by each individual hosts. Hosts vary a lot. You might be just unlucky to get a bad apple out of an apple tree.

As @Sean433 mentioned, there are quite a few great hosts with wonderful listings out there in Airbnb sites. Make sure that you do good research before you book to choose a trustworthy host's property for your stay.

I'm really sorry you had this bad experience.

I hope you leave an honest review of the host. It sounds unacceptable. 

The majority of us bend over backwards to provide accommodation that we would be happy to pay for to stay in ourselves.

Hope your daughter is OK.

Sean433
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

@Misty33 

I  once stayed in a very ritzy 5 star resort in Costa Rica. $300 was stolen out of our room. This ruined a lot of my good memories of the vacation. Another time, another resort I stayed at had no running water for 2 days. But those experiences did not make me say to myself that I am never going to a hotel or resort again. Bad things happen anywhere.

Every airbnb I have stayed at was great and memorable, far more memorable than a boring hotel. But like with any accomodation whether it be with a hotel, resort or private home, there is always potential for a downside. I am sure if you stayed at any one of my listings, you would definitely use airbnb again. You just have to find a professional host who has good reviews and a high cleaning rating. 4.8/5 or above

Yea. We have some real crappers here. Travelodge in the UK is Russian roulette.  Might be 5 stars in one, and tramp city in the next.

Marie82
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

@Misty33  sorry to hear about your bad experience, I am little curious when u said u arrive early? and decide to check in did the cleaning was over already or the flat was not cleaned yet? I have 1 rule i never guest even leave their luggage after another guest departure, without my cleaner being there to take only the suitcase i even asked guests if they want to drop luggage during cleaning process usually 1 hour after cleaner arrive. As 1st impression is very important is the guest mind.

I found out now far too many guests are overly pushy when he comes to check-in. They want a host to bend over just to accommodate their early flight arrival without taking in consideration other guests and cleaning staff schedule. 

Only last week i told a guest he could not check in till 12.3pm instead of 3 pm as I wanted to drop some shopping inside the apartment and check few things. I arrive at the apartment and the guests were already in the flat sleeping. So when i open the door he jumps out of the bed.