The Guest left dirty stains all over the light carpet during first 40 minutes of stay and sent me

Olga464
Level 10
Kyiv, Ukraine

The Guest left dirty stains all over the light carpet during first 40 minutes of stay and sent me

a message, which says:

- I noticed dirty stains on your carpet. Just to inform you, so you would not charge more for cleaning.

40 minutes before he signed the paper that the cleanness is ideal.

The guest is a student.

I immediately made the pics of the stains, street shoes with dirty soles, placed on the light carpet (forbidden by the house rules to walk in street shoes, we give home rubber slippers, 3 sizes, fully desinfected). But the guy rejected to walk in home shoes. After he signed the paper that the cleanness is ideal and so on, and I left for my things to do, he walked into the room in his dirty shoes and started to blackmail me about his own fault. What would you do? 

A student from one of the top Universities in USA.

The airbnb support is keeping silent for few days now.

What to write in a review? "Better for being placed in student's hostel"?IMG_4936.JPGIMG_4937.JPGIMG_4938.JPG

27 Replies 27
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Olga464 

guests usually blame the host for their own mistakes and expect the host to solve all the problems they created .

It's like parenting.

@Branka-and-Silvia0  Sorry, but these are adult 18+ people. They have to hold the responsibility for their behavior and agreements they are signing.

@Olga464  of course... and still, I had guests 60+ y.o. blaming me for their mistakes (didn't read the listing and expecting something else, get lost and were unreachable on arrival etc... )

@Branka-and-Silvia0  I send them the video of the apartment ( day/night format) and 11 pages of info how the apt. is functioning. I will put a new chapter in a contract, in the very beginning:

"By signing this document the LESSEE proves that location, cleanliness, complectation of the Apartment totally matches the photos and the description. And the LESSEE is completely satisfied with it. By signing this document the LESSEE also agrees to follow the house rules established by the Owner of the Apartment (the LESSOR). Before signing this document the LESSOR has made detailed inspection of the Apartment at the presence of the LESSEE and checked all technical equipment at the presence of the LESSEE.

TIME OF CONTRACT SIGNING: 

_hours _minutes (local time)"

and so on....

@Olga464 

in Croatia, the LESSEE is a long term tenant and the GUEST is a short term. Isn't this the same everywhere?

I don't think a contract is much of a help here on Airbnb because Airbnb doesn't obey it's own TOS, cancellation policies, etc... and some CS rep can decide whatever he/she wants anyway.

We have some common house rules written in our listings and our guests have to sign a registration form with their personal information and just 3 points:

1. I agree with house rules
  2. I inspected the apartment and I have no complaints
  3. I received x sets of keys and I am obligated to return them to the host at check-out or I will be charged for new locks and keys.

Long term tenants have to sign a proper, more detailed contract and it is verified and has to pay a security deposit in cash. But I don't rent long term on Airbnb.

@Branka-and-Silvia0  Well,  my ad is of 22 pages length. So, 4 pages of small letters contract is  a short version my clients sign. Long term clients sign 80 pages (not through airbnb).

@Olga464 

wow... Война и мир II. 🙂

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Olga464   Apparently you didn't need the input of all these hosts, right?  Your review seems to be on target.  

@Linda108  if the guy doesn't write a review, I will not be putting any review for him. If he does, I will.

Why?  Your review is for the hosting community especially if you feel that the guest is clueless about respecting your property.  Whether he posts a review or not, other hosts would appreciate your feedback.  Please reconsider.

@Linda108  Well, I told him face-to-face before his departure that we are the house with 150 years old rental tradition and it's very offensive for us to get blamed for dirtiness, as we invest a lot into cleanness, although that was his mistake of not putting the home shoes on. He felt embarrassed. And as he just got graduated from one of the top universities in USA and he is very young, I do not wanna kill him to the end. I think we gave him enough of european experience.

I thought you were asking for input about "what to write in a rview" but I must have been mistaken.  Sounds like you handled it.