The difference between 4 and 5* in the new avg rating system

Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

The difference between 4 and 5* in the new avg rating system

Since Airbnb is moving from the 80% 5* to over 4.8 avg rating over a year, it might be time to think about how to explain the cliff between 5 and 4* the rating system imposes

Uber drivers have a number of ideas worth exploring - anyone have anything better for hosts ?

image.jpeg

https://www.buzzfeed.com/carolineodonovan/the-fault-in-five-stars?utm_term=.ysk65Pom5#.flqW92or9

16 Replies 16
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

So maybe it's time Airbnb started educating guests on the rating?

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

Until they do @Marzena4, maybe the hosts should, just to be on the safe side.

I have a 'No Tan Line' zone sign, perhaps should be replaced with a 'This is a 5-start Review Zone'.  😄

Indeed @Fred126 😉 

Some jpg files are on my to-do-list: how the reviews work, how to use shared space... And it all should have been on Airbnb's hands...

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

I feel worse for the uber drivers since many rent cars from uber as well, but it is the same problem. They get fired if they get too many 4* reviews.

Nathanael3
Level 2
Apeldoorn, Netherlands

I find it rather frustrating and unfair that the rating system can be 5 stars on every category, yet the guest can still post an overall rating lower than 5 stars as a purely subjective impulse (probably not aware of the negative compund effect this has on a property's rating progress).

For example, i recently had a guest rate my property 5 stars for Accuracy, Check-in, Cleanliness, Communication, Location and Value, yet the overall rating was 4 stars! How can this be considered a fair reflection of the property? Surely the overall rating ought to be derived from the individually rated categories?

Same exact thing just happened to my husband and I. 42 5-Star reviews now overshadowed by one person who thought that 5-stars in EVERY CATEGROY shouldn’t result in 5-stars overall. I’m so annoyed. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Nathanael3 exactly! there is no sense in that.

And I become not interested in ratings lately bc people complain about unbelivable things.

One thing I noticed though... there are those wonderfull, relaxed happy people and they are happy wherever they are... and there are those unhappy people who will allways complain 

Some you not going to please no matter what you do . We all get them !

I feel the same way you do.  I disagree with the rating system as it is not helpfull to the host, I can get a very good rating from one guest and the next one is not happy.

But @Branka-and-Silvia0 (can't seem to tag you), I have also had wonderful, relaxed happy people who left glowing reviews, 5 stars in every category, no negative feedback whatsoever, and still 4 stars overall.

The problem is that for many people 4 stars is a very good rating. The poor guests have no idea the damage they do when they leave you 4.

Either Airbnb needs to properly educate the guests about this (they say they will, but still no evidence of it so far), or stop this silly penalisation for 4 star reviews, which would be more realistic. Penalise for 3 stars and below. Full stop.

Amber129
Level 2
Mississauga, Canada

I just started airbnb almost 4 months ago now and have never had a day not booked. Was going to go back to regular tenant, to a Doctor, that wants a 7 month lease but decided if he doesn't want to cough up the large income we earn for airbnb than we will continue hosting.

Anyways above is to show that I'm not a pro but have read all the google links for a guide to great hosting. Some of them mention writing a message to the guest after departure, but before they write a review, and ask them for their honest opinion if there is anything that could be better and solved prior to them writing less than 5 star review. More wording involved but you catch my drift. A lot say they solved the issue and the friendliness lead them to do a 5 star review! Others do it during stay, like myself, to make sure you're not invading privacy and they can reply if they want, just to see how things are if need anything or if something is not satisfactory. Being friendly I think is key and making a friend they would never give u anything but perfect!! 

Yea. You go girl..wish I could say the same ... Booked every night .. Awesome 

Ned-And-Laura0
Level 10
Simi Valley, CA

I have been thinking about leaving a paper card, like a post card, for hand written notes asking them if anything could be done better and what else can we do to earn that 5* review.  This also give us the opportunity to briefly explain the importance of a 5* review.  We could even save them up and make some kind of scrap book.

please report back how this works out.