The question about using Security Cameras

Michael-and-Beth0
Level 3
Mount Holly, NC

The question about using Security Cameras

We look at it this way, it's protection for you and your guests. We list our cameras on our page, and in the. "house rules" which our guests agree to before booking. We have one on the porch, and two inside the common area downstairs only. They do not infring on our guests expectations of privacy in the lving area upstairs. One would only be concerened if they're doing something that's questionable, like last night. We had a couple that stayed with us that had two not so savery reveiws. One host said that they stayed up all night making noise and moving around the house. We also heard them moving around the house around midnight, opening doors to areas they should not be in.

So we turned our cameras on. We witnessed the male snooping around downstairs as though he was looking for something. So I got up and went downstairs to get a drink. He was nowhere to be seen. I was downstairs about 10 minutes when the garage door opened. He was in our garage for whatever reason. My wife and I felt uncomfortable and asked them to leave. They left without an issue. This morning we found items missing, and a small drill, part of a combo that was in the garage, laying out in the driveway where their car had been parked. They have since been reported to AirBnB and action taken. So yes, cameras can be very helpful in situations such as this.

I might add, we originally installed the cameras along with our security system in the event of a break in. But now they paly another important role for us. 

28 Replies 28
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Michael-and-Beth0

Thats not good - in addition you need to give a negative review but don’t accuse them of stealing unless you have absolute proof. Be factual- just say: Guests were asked to leave due to breaking house rules.

why did you accept a booking from a guest with two bad reviews?

Akso, if you have proof of theft then report it to the police

There will be a negative review given for sure. They had 4 reveiws, with 2 that were not so good. We always give people a chance to prove themselves. I even sent a message before they arrived saying:

"We were just reading your reviews. I’ll have to say they aren’t gleaming and positive to say the least. Beth and I expect our guests to follow our house rules and show respect while staying with us. The AirBnB community, hosts and guests, depend on the reviews we leave each other. With this being said, If you guys can  be respectful, we don’t mind you staying at all. I hope you understand."

I said it again when they arrived. We felt that they took advantage of our good will. It won't happen again. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Michael-and-Beth0

I could be flippant and say that good has come from bad but, the reality for me guys, I would never book a listing where surveliance cameras are operable, and if I entered a listing and found undisclosed cameras I would leave immediately and expect a full refund.

I am a good host (a Superhost) and a good guest, I have never broken the law...apart from the odd auto speeding fine, I am a full time carer for a disabled wife and I am the kitchen coordinator for a voluntary meals preparation and delivery service.

I don't like my credentials being queried, being doubted, never knowing when my movements may be surupticiously observed from afar by others.

I give my guests total privacy and I expect nothing less from others.

I am afraid you would have to do without my booking....I wouldn't consider your listing in a heartbeat!!

Cheers.....Rob

Settle down mate...

They are sharing a personal hosting experience...which is what this forum is for 🙂

They’re not asking you to book from them...

Nor did they ask you how good you have been in your life up to date...

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Wow @Tracey0

That's rather harsh.

This is a forum, we all have various view points to express. 

It is a valid point to say that you wouldn't book an Airbnb with inside CCCTV. Many guests wouldn't.

I  am a superhost and have CCTV in the common areas of my house and most of my guests say they love ❤️ it especially in my shared apartment. It helps keep potential bad people from coming. My CCTV is listed all over the my description and rules. 

Can I ask you how do you disclose it?

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Tracey........ @Michael-and-Beth0 came here to tell us what a salvation security cameras have been for them and I have no problem with that. Good on them, their cameras have saved them from being ripped off.

Where the issue comes in, Michael and Beth have come to the Airbnb Community forum where we give each other advice and make comments on various hosting styles as they relate to our own experiences. I made a comment, nothing more.

Tracey, my wife Adrienne is in the latter stages of MS, her legs have given out on her....she requires a lot of help to do basic things! She hates the thought of me seeing her physical struggles let alone total strangers! Please accept that when we travel we do really require a certain level of privacy, not for any other reason than personal dignity!

Cheers.....Rob 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

I probably wouldn't book a place that had any internal cameras even just in the common spaces, but I don't judge hosts who do, since the forum is chock full of horror stories of guests breaking the rules and getting away with things, even when there is irrefutable evidence.  We will probably eventually get one of those doorbell cameras just because we live in an urban environment and it increases, even marginally, a bit the safety profile.

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

@Mark116  Hey I was considering a video doorbell too (want one for my own front door). I had a look at a few, but will have to import whatever we choose from China or the US. Interested in which one you have in mind?

@Ben551 Havent' done a ton of research yet, but looked at the Ring and the Nest versions.  

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

@Mark116 Ah ok let me know how you get on. I was checking out Skybell but the reviews on Amazon aren’t too great, which is at odds with the professional reviews online... Ring is sold in NZ so maybe I should just give that a whirl for easier warranty...

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Ben551 I have a Ring doorbell and it is fantastic! 

It has got me out of a couple of scrapes with guests who couldn't quite get the front door open- so I could talk them through it even though I am not at home, it is also handy for knowing when self-check-in guests arrive- I ask them to let me know but they often don't because they are tired or too excited to be in London.

It was easy to set-up and install- the only issue was a had to buy a wifi range extender as the signal strength wasn't enough for it to operate correctly, even though my router and front door aren't that far apart- the walls are rather thick.

Paul 🙂

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

Oh brilliant, that's good to know. Thats interesting too because, although we offer self check-in we have so far always been there to help. I will take a look at this one in that case. I think it will be a good backup option.