The "new" host review form for guests to rate hosts

Answered!
Timothy19
Level 8
Bryn Mawr, PA

The "new" host review form for guests to rate hosts

I just saw this on a FB hosting group and was shocked at how tedious this process has gotten for guests. I have several comments and questions.

1. Is this standard for ALL guests of ALL properties, or is this just aimed at select guests of select listings in order to verify the listing amenities, etc? This is literally 10 pages of questions (on mobile at least). 10 pages!

2. If this is standard practice now, well, wow. Does ABB expect guests to go through this whole thing every stay? ABB is pushing owners to get reviews get reviews get reviews....and then makes the get review process this cumbersome? I wouldn't be surprised if guests stop leaving reviews.

3. The entire "compares to your expectations" part seems like it will actually make the rating system WORSE than it was before. Guests already had trouble with ABB's interpretation of what 5 stars meant. We had owners pushing for 5* because ABB treated 4* like a bad rating. Now this new system looks even MORE geared to getting low ratings. Imagine you have a listing that just looks stunning....all the amenities in the world....picture perfect. The guest stays there with HIGH expectations and the owner delivers. "About the same as expected". That looks like a 3* rating equivalent. Even "better than expected" would only get this incredible listing a 4* equivalent rating.

----------- I think AirBnB just made their rating system WORSE!

rev1.gif

rev2.gif

rev3.gif

1 Best Answer
Cor3
Level 10
Langerak, South Holland, Netherlands

Hi @Emily352,

You are entirely right. Having said that though, there is a mathematical law, called: “Wisdom of the crowd”. So, when Airbnb can acquire enough answers from “semi”-experts (guests), the truth will slowly, but definitely bubble to the surface. Even better than what is actually listed by the owner (the expert). And still even better, when the individual answers may be of a somewhat poor quality.

Small example: In order to enter a property, one may have to enter 2 small doorsteps. An owner may consider this to be a flat entry. Whereas some guests may consider these as stairs. Maybe at best as a non-flat entry.

At Airbnb it is all about numbers. And they are aware of probability rates, influence of larger numbers, etc. They know, when to say: It is too close to call.

So don’t be surprised, when certain amenities will automatically be added or removed from a listing in due time.

A lot of hosts hate the location rating (hosts can’t move their property. Usually the location is also clearly listed or mentioned too). But for guests (so also pricewise), this is invaluable information! Even a distance of about 50 meters can make a huge difference! The view from one apartment may be marvelous, whereas the view from the adjacent apartment may be a bit cluttered. Another apartment may be at main street, whereas the adjacent apartment, is just around the corner.

All they are trying to achieve, is to capture basic human emotions in a mathematical model.

Don’t worry: All this data is not just meant to look at the hosts, they will also use this data to look at guests as well!

I.e.: When Airbnb notices that a particular area/accommodation in ‘general’ is rewarded lower by middle-aged guests from France. But being rewarded higher by younger guests from the UK. They can and will use this information in the provision of search results to potential guests.

End goal: As many bums on beds as possible, at a sustainable price. I would love to see that 1-page KPI report, which BC finds on his desk, every morning!

View Best Answer in original post

163 Replies 163

@Letti0 @Lyndsey Cooking for guests also means you are offering 'special services', which means in the United States you have to file a Schedule C, instead of a Schedule E (business) when declaring Airbnb / rental income.

Oh NO!  Now I will be afoul of the IRS? Double yikes! I do make scones for our guests, I enjoy doing it and it keeps up the skill-set. I certainly don't think it should be an expectation, the true charm of airbnb ought to be the diverse options offered,  right? I am at heart a goody two shoes & I am as scrupulous about food safety as only a retired infant toddler teacher  can be but jeez, I love having guests straggle up the stairs & give a sniff of rapture before sitting down to a lovely light breakfast of scones hot from the oven, fresh fruit and great coffee (or tea), Sally the possible scoff-law

Sally- " double yikes" 

Hahaha make me just laugh out loud!! Thanks

Cor3
Level 10

Hi All,

As said before, I’ve asked recent guests. Whether they would be willing to inform us about the review process on their side. And so they did!

Furthermore and maybe a bit of a coincidence, I noticed that since today: I can see ‘compliments’ left by previous guests in the App (Not on a PC)!

It looks like it, that the new review process is in place, since about October 2017 already!

Although we also did notice a sudden decrease in the amount of reviews left, since May 2018.

And I have to send review reminders to previous guests, more often since then.

The recent guests also send me App screenshots from their mobile phone. The whole process is divided in sections/steps (I will share the App screenshots below).

These screenshots are partially in Dutch, but since the majority of you is a Level 10 Community Member and/or a Superhost. So, I suppose this will not be a problem as all of you did most likely obediently attend your Dutch lessons in Primary School 🙂

Step 1: Star-Rating for Overall Experience (On a scale of 1 to 5 stars).

Step 2: Compliments (7 choices, which act like a checkbox; This step can be skipped).

Step 3: Under-/Over-Delivery (Comparison to expectations, 5-radiobutton choice. What will Airbnb be doing with this information?)

Step 4: Star-Rating for the other 6 sub-categories (On a scale of 1 to 5 stars).

Step 5: Basic amenity checklist/confirmation (Maybe the other amenity confirmation options are available below, but at least not visible in the screenshots, I have).

Step 6: Private message to the host (This step can be skipped).

Step 7: Public review

And that’s it!

Step 1:

Step 1.jpg

Step 2:

Step 2.jpg

Step 3:

Step 3.jpg

Step 4:

Step 4.jpg

Step 5:

Step 5.jpg

Step 6:

Step 6.jpg

Step 7:

And that is about it.And that is about it.

@ Cor, thanks for this!
Your step 1 shows what was left out of the original post's screenshots, showing the much more sane plain star rating for our most important "Overall", where other posts wrongly guessed the crazy making - comparison to expectations - made the "Overall" result. Whew, what a relief!

Cor3
Level 10

Hi @Elly0,

Yes, Indeed.

But what is Airbnb going to do with the information gathered, from Step 3?

Will they start telling you – in due time, you will have to work on your listing, because you are rated: “Much better than expected” over and over again?

😆

@Elly0

Its step # 3 that's going to lower your overall score. His has only 3 questions the one I saw here in US has 5 questions. Equals  1-5 star rating depending on the answer given. That's how I understand it to be. Here's how it looks:airbnb-review-step-3.png
This is what I saw today. I've heard this translates into a 1-5 stars that's factored into your overall score. To get 5 stars you will have to get a much better than expected! That means if this is true 3 star's would be "About the same as I expected" Scary! Can someone else confirm if this equals 1-5 stars? Since there are several versions rolled out.

At one point (that I have not been able to find), Airbnb clarified that only the single Overall star rating in the review form is what counts to make the Overall stat. I hope this will get clarified again in the upcoming Host Q & A.

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

@Cor3 As has been mentioned, guests often do not even read our listings beyond the initial summary, if that. So now Airbnb expects guests to go through a review system that appears to be striving to replicate the expansive proportions of Tolstoy's 'War and Peace'? If it weren't so semi-tragic I would find this whole thing terribly amusing. But now, I gotta run - Need to install that elevator and find a place for an oven/range in my small but serviceable kitchenette!!!

Cor3
Level 10

Hi @Rebecca,

On the other side. I had a guest lately reviewing me. And it took this guest less than 4 minutes to review me. I.e.: There was a 4 minute interval, between me receiving the request to review the guest. And me receiving the message, that we were reviewed by this guest.

Oh, and yes, you better run to get your kitchenette, like it should be!

@Cor0, just saw this, no notification that you tagged me, and I cannot tag you here. Yet another Community Center mystery, never to be solved...

Cor3
Level 10

Hi @Rebecca181,

Sometimes, when I can’t tag someone. I just copy the link to this person (in the hope it will work the same). But it suppose it was just a little ‘techie’ from me, to think it may work the same way.

So that could explain, why you weren’t notified. So I will stop that practice.

It seems you can only tag someone, out of a list of max 5 persons or so.

It's been like this for a while already.

@Rebecca0  I love Tolstoys 'War and Peace'.

When people ask me questions already well explain in my listing, i ask them again to please read my listing very carefully prior to booking. Usually they don't book after. Because they finally read it. I don't need hassles and I don't want them to be uncomfortable either. 

My constant requests are "coming with their car", even if I don't have private parking spaces.

I don't have that magic wand to create a private parking space......its inner city where space is sacred. Most apartments have zero parking. One can't have it all.....!

I am a guest as well as a host..........I! I don't mind quality control.

@Syl11, just saw this, was never notified of your tag. Only way I can see people's responses to my comments is to go back and read the entire thread - Which I rarely have time to do. Oh well.