There's cleaning... and then there's cleaning

Patricia55
Level 10
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

There's cleaning... and then there's cleaning

I read on a thread recently – sorry, can't remember where – about some guest saying that if they were paying a cleaning fee that meant they didn't have to lift a finger...

Whut?!

OK, full disclosure: cleaning isn't my forte or my joy! But since we started hosting we realised we'd have to raise our standards, given that we're sharing our home with others. I figure the same applies to guests.

To my mind, someone using the cleaning fee as an excuse for not doing ANY house-keeping is probably a lazy slob.

I reckon there's slow muck and quick muck; I WOULD'NT expect a (short term) guest to do any dusting, vacuuming, shower-cleaning, (window-cleaning!) etc. I WOULD expect any guest to clean up after any sudden, accidental spillages... (or at least let me know so I could help!).. cos, otherwise they're just wallowing in their own filth, if they're staying for any length of time!!

Jeebus, it's just common sense.

30 Replies 30

Can you ask airbnb for refunds or part of the security deposit if long term guests left the place so unclean  that it resembles a pigsty in some areas?