Tips for filing a claim

Steve2743
Level 10
Calgary, Canada

Tips for filing a claim

Sigh. Last week I was dealing with my worst guest ever. Now my girlfriend is too. 

It started yesterday, when co-host went to clean the suite, only to find the guest in the middle of a shower, hours after check-out. The guest seemed shocked, saying "What!!?? He was supposed to extend the stay". 

Assured that they'd immediately book the second night, our co-host left. She's out of town for the Thanksgiving weekend, so today I went to quickly clean the suite, only to find the place a disaster. The front door was unlocked, with the keys on the kitchen table. Cigarette butts in both the kitchen & bathroom sinks, as well as littered all over the neighbours patio below. Food and dirty dishes everywhere. Cigarette burns in the nearly new duvet. Shampoo bottles laying open on the bottom of the bathtub, lids off, contents pouring out, and half dried. The place reeks if incense. And there were two disks of tinfoil in the garbage cans, with a black charred residue burned to the bottom, which I assume was either used to burn the incense, or for drugs. 

Four hours later, I finally have the place cleaned for the next guest who arrives in two hours (thank God they were already planning on a late check-in), but we need to bring in a professional cleaner to ensure nothing was missed, we think it wise to change the locks, and I've purchased a Starbucks gift card for the next guest, as an apology for the incense smells. (Which is still strong, but diminishing)

Everything was thoroughly documented with photographs, and a claim had already been started earlier in the day for the unpaid night. 

But neither of us have ever had to submit a claim before. Especially for this much. What kinds of things are important, but commonly missed by first timers? Can you adjust the original claim amount once the full amount of the damage has been tallied?

Thanks!

Steve
3 Replies 3
Steve2743
Level 10
Calgary, Canada

So it appears that what was originally filed this morning was a request for money for the cost of the second night (this is before I had gone into the suite for cleaning. It appears you cannot file a second request for money until the first one is resolved. As there is a guest checking in tonight, this will put us beyond the deadline of filing a claim before the next guest checks in, and you can't modify the existing unresolved claim. So frustrating. She's going to be contacting Airbnb directly, as soon as her flight lands. 

Steve
Lisa658
Level 10
Hervey Bay, Australia

@Steve2743

Contact AirBnB right away before the guest checks in and at least get it on record that you are opening a case.  Canada, +1-855-424-7262 (toll-free)

I read on the forum previously where a host was able to do this so it should be possible.  Would be best if you could stick to their rules of getting it done before the next guest checks in or at least have it documented that you tried.

I would ask them for a follow up email summarizing your phone call and ask them to make a note on your account that a claim is pending.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide-UPDATED/m-p/413245

Lisa

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

@Steve2743

Firstly do not raise your hopes too high.

Hopefully the extra night will be paid.

Extra cleaning is much less likely, damage needs to be documented, invoices etc.

Please let us know how you get on.

David