Two issues with my search.

Tim213
Level 2
British Columbia, Canada

Two issues with my search.

As a potential guest, I would like to see a very definative meaning for the words "1 bathroom."

Ads should be required to clearly state, in the heading, if a bathroom is shared. 

I would also like to see stale ads removed, suspended or declared stale, after a certain period.

It is annoying to find a suitable space, with availability, only to discover it was last updated several months ago.

I find both these issues to be time wasting frustrations, in an otherwise reasonably good system.

19 Replies 19
Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

As a host, I agree with clarifying the bathroom definition. There should be a filter for "private bath."

All things being equal with a listing I would think a private bathroom would trump a shared bathroom when deciding where to book.

@Tim213

Have you ever been a host as well? I like your questions, although I have never been a guest - I am only a host.

What I think - is that shared bathrooms should not be permitted altogether. But as many might desagree - I think the rooms with shared baths must be put automatically by the system as rooms with a shared bath - and not to bother the guest to filter!

As for stale ads, I think the problem is very big, and I hope the new algoryth to solve this problem. Hosts who really take care of their guests suffer not less then guests by them. And you are right - otherwise it is a reasonably good system.

Tim213
Level 2
British Columbia, Canada

Lilly; no, I have not been and likely will not be, a host. Although I did see a 7 bedroom 4 bath house for sale near Sligo, Ireland. 🙂

I do not have an issue with the concept of a shared bath, just the element of mystery around the sharing or not. For myself, ensuite isn't even necessary as long as there is ready access to an exclusive use bathroom. Otherwise the rental is in the hostel category. 

Tim213
Level 2
British Columbia, Canada

Absolutely, Suzanne.
I will not staywhere a batroom is shared and it annoys me that I should hav to message a host to ask.

Tim213
Level 2
British Columbia, Canada

Good grief...
I should know better than to do postings with my phone. Here, let me try again:

Absolutely, Suzanne.
I will not stay where a bathroom is shared and it annoys me, that I should have to message a host to ask

@Tim213 Yeah, that "bat room" sounds like a cool feature. LOL! 🙂

@Tim213

I hope the ones inventing the new algorythm are going to read this discussion! Because the ultimate customers are the guests! Unfortunatlely much more discussions are going on conserning  hosts complaining...

There must be ready made filters - room ensuite, rooms with a shared bathroom, whole house, private flat, other - castle, bungalow, part of a house etc. 

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Tim0,

I do think it would be great to filter by private bathroom. It would be very useful.

However, most hosts realize that a private bath commands a premium so they trumpet the fact in the headline. It makes the listing more marketable (and expensive).

My headline says "Master Bedroom with Private Bath"

You should assume if the listing is a "Private Bedroom" it has a shared bath.

Tim213
Level 2
British Columbia, Canada

@Paul154 ,

Assumptions can lead to misuderstanding. How difficult can it be to state clearly?
After all, "private" and "shared" take th same number of keystrokes.
🙂

@Tim213  @Paul154  I know, as a host I want that as well. I have 2 bathrooms in my house, 1 of them is a private bathroom for the guest room. I do state in my listing that the bathroom is private. My options are to list 2 bathrooms, but then the guest could assume both are available for their use, or to list 1 bathroom, but unless a guest reads my listing description to see that it is private for their use only, they could easily assume that the 1 bathroom is shared.

Willow3
Level 10
Coupeville, WA

It never occurred to me to put "private bath" in the title.  I did have it in the first description sentence, but I've ammended my listing to have it now in the title.  Funny you say that private bath = premium... I JUST got dinged on value because my private bath is not en suite.  Guest said my short hallway separated by a curtain was "spooky" and recommended a sliding door.  Funny thing... the supplies to make said sliding door are stacked in my dining room - I just haven't finalized my design.  As for value - I'm the cheapest private room (except the one that is in a league of it's own) in my town.  One of the Inns, has shared bathrooms with toilet stalls and a row of sinks - like summer camp - for twice my nightly rate.  Sigh.  

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Tim213   I just looked at my listing for another reason, but I noticed that it does say "Private Bath" right under my listing title- 1 guest, 1 private room, 1 bed, 1 private bath. Now I remember that some months ago when editing my listing that distinction was made available and I added that. So maybe the hosts who don't have that on the listing but who do offer a private bathroom, just haven't updated it on their listing.

Roberta2
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi, yes, it clearly states.

Mine also says: Shared Bath - under the tile.

Hosts just need to upldate the listing.

Screen Shot 2018-05-22 at 10.13.30.png

Tim213
Level 2
British Columbia, Canada

@Sarah977 @Roberta2;

Ah yes, you two are on top of your game, using all available tools to help yourselves and prospective guests. Good job.

On the other hand, having those buttons and not using them is, to me, not being a serious business owner. People who have the abillity to earn in excess of 20,000 Euros a year should at least be up to date; my second complaint.