Unduly Tax Witheld by Airbnb

Ana1674
Level 1
Lisbon, Portugal

Unduly Tax Witheld by Airbnb

I've noticed that for all payouts since November 6th 2018 significant portions of my payouts are being withheld, roughly 28% per transaction. I am a host in Europe.

In the transaction history, next to the amounts deducted to those transferred to me, it says "Tax Withholding". After reaching out to Airbnb I was told this was due to the fact that I was registered as being in the US.

I did not submit any additional documentation, they just consulted all the information I had already provided months ago and changed my location accordingly.

I am a diligent host, I have updated my information frequently and made sure it was correct on more than one occasion. I cannot accept this situation being dismissed as me not having made sure my information was correct. So much so that just from the information and documents I had already provided they fixed the issue without me needing to provide anything else.

The withheld amount is now 965,21€. I am yet to see a transaction in which amounts are being withheld despite that fact that the issue is supposedly fixed. 

All the infomation I have provided Airbnb with and all the forms I filled on the platform have been Portuguese, including:
My personal ID
My address
My company’s address
The recipient bank account is Portuguese,
VAT number is Portuguese
The listing location is in Portugal
I have no ties whatsoever with the US
Even the tourist tax Airbnb pays for me is payed to the Lisbon City Council

This is a very considerable amount which is essential for a small business such as mine, especially in peak low season.

Has anyone dealt with this issue before and gotten a resolution from Airbnb?

Thank you,
Ana

0 Replies 0