Warning-bad guest !

Warning-bad guest !

I have had Mark from Australia, his wife and two children. They accepted the circumstances of a real estate agent bringing through prospective buyers as part of their stay. In the yerms of their stay they were asked to leave it tidy and clean for the inspection.  When I went into open up and check, none of the beds had been made, no dishes done,  chocolate on walls, carpet, longue suite, dirty nappies, and let's not talk about the floors, bathroom etc. Then they arrived home early to demand they be let in as they had paid and had an argument with the real estate agent, shorty after I got a text demanding a free night.  I met with two very rude people, in which they had accepted the terms but Mark hadn't told the wife. I was also told by the wife they paid for my place and they could do whatever they liked while they were there and didn't have to keep it tidy. Be warned these people will not respect you or your property. As they are still here I can not review them as yet.

4 Replies 4
Karen-and-Brian0
Level 10
Bragg Creek, Canada

Hi @Paula188 Although I can completely understand your upset & frustration with these guests, I think it was unrealistic to expect them to agree to having real estate showings during their rental period & require them to have the place inspection ready at your convenience. The wife is right, they have paid for it, are renting it and have the right to leave it the way they like while staying there. Hopefully, they plan to straighten up a bit & do some cleaning & tidying before they check out, and if they don't THEN you have the right to complain. While they're there, not so much - unless there is damage. Yes, the husband agreed to it, who knows why, most people absolutely wouldn't. It's far too much to ask of guests. People want to relax and be on vacation while at your rental property, they don't want the stress of having the place spotless for real estate showings. Anyone who has ever sold their home knows how much work that is.

You're trying to sell your place and want to be able to have real estate showings to prospective buyers, and have it appear in the condition you expect, which is completely understandable - but you really need to snooze or delist your listing while this is happening. You really shouldn't try to do both. Since they are being subjected to this, as the husband agreed, you maybe should consider giving them a break on the price?  Your place is really lovely- all the best for a quick sale. 🙂

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Paula188

I have to say I agree with @Karen-and-Brian0 on this one.

I recently sold a house and it was really stressful having to keep it ready for prospective house buyers all the time. Would I want to do this on holiday - certianly not, or be told what time I could or couldn't be in the property.

Having said that they shouldn't argue with the estate agent or leave chocolate on your floors or dirty nappies lying around.

I agree you should snooze your listing until you have an offer on your place. Or only have the estate agent over when you don't have guests.

How much longer are they staying. Could you ask BNB if they could find the guests an alternative which would suit them better and be less stressful for you?

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Paula188

OK, lets see if I have this right!

If you Paula booked and paid 'your' money to come to the other side of the world for a holiday, it would be just fine if strangers with their own keys just wandered through your holiday destination with whoever they liked in tow, inspecting how you behave, and then have the gaul to refuse you entry to the property you had paid for!!! That would be quite ok with you, would it Paula??....Goodness gracious me, this forum gets weirder by the day, seriously!

I can absolutely understand why these 'guests' would be upset! If I were them I would flag you with Airbnb. These guests have not booked and paid $159au per night for a private room where others come and go, they have booked your advertised entire home and I think your intrusion into that is outrageous!

As a host who is proud of what I do and offer, I find your post offensive because, you can bet these guests will tell everyone what an extremely odd organisation Aibnb is.....hosts give you no level of privacy at all!!

When you let a property to someone Paula, and you accept their money, you enter an agreement to provide what you have listed! And I would lay a bet there is nowhere in your listing that says "this property is subject to intrusion of others at any time"!

I would just love to know in what context you put to this guest that other people would be roaming in and out while they were there which they felt was acceptable!

Paula, give your real estate agent access to the property when there are no guests there! That is just a common courtesy! I am sure you won't find much sympathy on this forum, most of us would look on your post and think....."Thank God we were not guests there"

You are your own worst enemy here Paula!

Rob

David-and-Fiona0
Level 10
Panglao, Philippines

I agree with everyone else. You should not be hosting with this attitude towards guests.