What guests liked about this place

Justin34
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

What guests liked about this place

Hi,

AirBNB has recently added a section at the top of listings called: What guests liked about this place.

There have been a number of tags added to my listing and I don't like it as they are inaccurate.  One states my place is "lively" which I do not appreciate and I cannot see how AirBNB has come up with this, as none of my guests describe the place as "lively".  Surely I am the one who should be marketing and describing my place not AirBNB.  Does anyone know how I get this tag removed?

Kind regards and happy hosting,

Justin

7 Replies 7
Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Justin34

Yeah, another really silly and and absolutely mis-guided idea  that has happily disappeared, at least on my Chrome browser.

Looks like Airbnb got too much negative feedback. Now to get rid of their mandatory Instanb Book setting for some or most newly signed up hosts...

Amaris0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Yes, thankfully my tags disappeared as well!

Linda0
Level 10
Spring, TX

Hello Justin --

I haven't seen the tags as yet, and from the comments above, it will be a good thing if I don't get any of the tags.  Where did you find the tags, was it on the app, were you looking incognito as listings or the dashboard?

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I think Air is looking at ways to make the searches better now that the site is so enormous. If they incorporated those tickboxes in their searches it would make the listings appear in a different order to how they normally arrange themselves, which will make a lot of hosts happy. Hence, if a guest was looking for a well-equipped kitchen in a lively location, that's what they would get. I think it is a good idea in theory, but will only work when you have had a crucial amount of reviews as guests see things differently abd you need quite a few to get a good picture.

Amaris0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi Sandra, it wasn't the type of tag you mention where you get tick boxes to choose it was more of a signpost. So mine tags were along the lines - guest liked this place because it had free parking, wifi, kitchen, easy to commute etc.; there were a few more some of which I can't remember now. Most of these options already existed in the filter box and could be used as a search option, so it was more like emphasising them with a statement above the initial basic description of the listing.

Most of mine were fine because it was already what I had included in my description/ amenities but there were some like, it's a hip area or tourist area. Whilst tourist area might be OK I don't want a hip area as might attract the wrong guests for my accommodation. I would imagine tags such as ‘HIP’ although not a specific quality, would appeal more to younger travellers and/ guests who like a ‘happening area’ perhaps some parting, late nigh bars so more of a drinking culture, lots of hang out areas. This is totally fine but I've made the effort to dissuade guests with specific interests as such from my accommodation and have a preference for a more laid back type of guest, so such a tag does not help.

I read about this somewhere on Airbnb a few months back. I believe that in addition to Airbnb’s research, guests would be presented with a few tags to confirm what they liked about the property / area and this would be combined to provide a representation of the area to assist future guest chose locations they prefer to stay in.

Some of my queries regarding this approach of tagging would be –

• That these are not compulsory but based on guests voluntary choice to provide such information, if I had 10 guests and only one completed this additional section it is not a fair representation. I appreciate Airbnb might collate a group of such feedbacks but how do you define the boundaries of such location also, most guests are just that, guests, and don’t really know the area as well as the host does so to be given control of definition of location based on a short stay if a bit questionable.

• Since Airbnb put these tags on hosts listings, if a guest choses a listing on the basis of such a tag and on arrival, it does not meet the expectation of such an area i.e. ‘HIP’ , the guest will be understandably disappointed and most likely reflect it in their review rating – an unfair penalty on a host who had no choice in promoting the tag.

• Also what is 'hip' to one person isn't to the other person especially when you have a huge diversity with multiple interests.

There are a number of tags, some reasonable but some like the example I have picked on ‘Hip’ which I feel are not quite accurate so not facts, therefore should be left to the host to provide such information or each guests to discover for themselves.

I feel this particular brainchild was/is  a combination of feedback and some random probably no associated Airbnb or sub-contractor’s view of the locality. Anyway, mine have disappeared, hopefully long term or maybe a bug, but a good bug this time 🙂

Ama

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Hi @Amaris0, at least they are trying! Mine are gone too, just recently, but there will be something else coming soon I am sure. I feel they are working on improving searchability as the listings are so numerous.

@Amaris0, Forgot to say, those are the tickboxes guests fill in. Doesn't show as tickboxes on the listing, just when they post reviews. I was a guest myself recently and that's when I found out how it works.