What happens when a guest does not turn up?

Martin-and-Suzanne0
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

What happens when a guest does not turn up?

I had a guest book a couple of months ago for a 4 day stay this week.  She never turned up..  I contacted her on the second day to see if everything was ok - and nothing, no reponse.  The orange juice is still outside her door, the key safe has not been touched.  I have been paid, however, what happens to reviews?

Tonight is the last night she may or may not turn up...

I have never been in this situation before...

17 Replies 17
Nakayama0
Level 8
Oyabe, Japan

Strange situation.. how about pop into house to have reasons such as to change towels, checking amenities or emergency house repair, or restore electrical braker after cut off it?

@Nakayama0are you serious??? this idea that it is ok to enter peoples space is just not cool. It is a violation to a persons right to privacy.

@Nakayama0 wrote:

Strange situation.. how about pop into house to have reasons such as to change towels, checking amenities or emergency house repair, or restore electrical braker after cut off it?

Like all hotels clean your room and collect garbage, re-supply amenities every afternoon while you stay.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Martin-and-Suzanne0  As she’s probably the victim of foul play, I don’t think you need to worry about a review.

Just kidding - I listen to way too many crime podcasts.

Guests who cancel stays upon arrival can write reviews even though they’ve never set foot in the place.  So I’m pretty sure she’ll be able to write a review.  

But do you really think she will?  (If she’s even alive? :))  And since you got paid, you’re not planning to review her, are you?  I would keep the dough and let her run free with her fully paid no-shows.  And please give her a link to my place.  No-show paying guests really keep the wear-and-tear to a minimum.

Martin-and-Suzanne0
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

I watch too many horror movies too - Maybe she is in trouble?  Single girl travelled from the US to the UK, planned to stay 4 nights.....  On the other hand, maybe she had a better offer?

I might contact Airbnb to see if she is ok...

On her profile, she has 6 reviews, 5 positive and 1 negative....

I won't write a review, just hope she won't write one either....

@Martin-and-Suzanne0    Did you contact her by phone?  I have so many guests who never read their messages on Airbnb, or say they don't receive notifications.  If it were me I would call or text her,  her phone number should be on the reservation. Possibly she is just irreponsible,  fingers crossed there is not a darker reason.

@Martin-and-Suzanne0  If you get to the bottom of this, please let us know, because it’s turning into a bona fide mystery.

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

I had a guest never show up. They were renting their entire house to some guests who missed their flight.

The best part is that there's no cleaning to do. Easy money.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Martin-and-Suzanne0  there is nothing you can or should do. You are not her mother and it is not your problem where she is and why she didn't come or cancel.

Marie82
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

@Martin-and-Suzanne0 

when guests do not show up it always worried me, I will call Airbnb to get in touch with them as to make sure they are ok, some traveller can be very naive and if I can assist/help anyone I will do. 

When heard about a serious accident involving tourists and i have those nationality staying in my flats i always send a message to make sure they are ok, I think sometime is our moral duty to look after each other.

Linda-And-Richard0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

@Martin-and-Suzanne0  I remember reading a host story regarding a guest that never arrived and then wanted a full refund because the guest claimed they booked for a later date.  You should let Airbnb know this guest was a no show. 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Martin-and-Suzanne0 

Aw I can understand you concern. Did you ever hear from them? 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Gisèle6
Level 1
Port Glaud, Seychelles

I am at the moment in the same situation. The guests who were booked to stay for 13 nights did not turn up and the driver who had been sent to pick them upon arrival was left waiting for long hours. it appears that he may have used a false name. What should I do? will I get paid for this booking? my messages remain unanswered.

Gisèle

Until the guest hits "cancel" or calls Airbnb to do so on their behalf, the reservation is still active.

Your payment should be released as normal, 24 hours after check-in. If you don't get an e-mail that it's been released, or you don't see it in your transaction history at that time, then give Airbnb a call to check on things.