What if a guest moves in and does not vacate or leave the house at due date or doe not for months?

Moe19
Level 2
Phoenix, AZ

What if a guest moves in and does not vacate or leave the house at due date or doe not for months?

I have a house and rented  it without airbnb for long terms. The tenants filed bankcrptcy and did not pay rent for 3 months. I had to go to  2 courts to evict them. They took fixtures and some appliances. What it it happens again through airbnb.  Please share your expeirnce. 

6 Replies 6
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

@Moe19 If the guest has a reservation for less than 28 days, you can call the cops to have them removed. If their reservation is for greater than 28 days, this establishes a tenancy in most states, whereby you will need to go through the court system for an eviction.  

Rene-and-Zac0
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Moe19 When you set up your Airbnb listing, don’t accept reservations for longer than 28 days. In this state,  after 28 they are a tenant and not a guest. 

A guest can be bounced out of your house with just a simple call to the police. A tenant must be evicted. 

Also, determine what type of listing do you have? A simple cottage, casita, three level townhouse or a chill party house with pool? That will tell you your amount of risk in renting. 

Airbnb also has two mechanisms to protect your property against damage. 

1. Airbnb allows the host to set a security deposit cash amount to cover damages. 

2. Airbnb offers a 1 million dollar host guarantee that covers your property as an insurance against damage. 

Ive hosted more than 50 groups on Airbnb in 2017 and I have only had two guest break things and Airbnb paid me both times. 

Good Luck!

’You know it’s hard out here for a Host’

Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Moe19 My listing is in California where tenancy rights vastly favor the tenant.  For that reason I limit the nightly stays to 21 nights so if they are not out of the premises by the 22nd, they have not established any rights and I can call the cops. 

I would not rent for more than 21 nights on Airbnb, not because of any fault of Airbnb's part, but they really have no leverage on the renter.  Ultimately it is up to you to evict with all the hassles, costs, etc. associated with evictions.  

If I were to contemplate long term reservations, I would do it privately where I would have a formal contract and would be able to collect first and last month's rent as well as a cash deposit for damages.  

Airbnb recognizes the pit falls of renting long term as described in this link: 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/805/what-are-some-things-i-should-consider-before-hosting-long-t...

There are scam artists out there that know full well that once they have established tenancy rights they stay for free for many months, as you have experienced.  I'm very sorry you had this experience.  

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Legally, you are still the owner and all resposibility of protecting your asset is upon you.

Airbnb changes nothing. You have to evict people, if it every comes to that.

This is what Airbnb does provide you:

1. A platform to air your grievence.  (Review system)

2. A third party intermidiary with whom you can confer.  

3. A World Wide marketing system, so you have better selection

4. They can reduce your long term risk, by filling your month with short-term stays.

5. Even if you want to stay a longterm landlord, they can bring you income during that awful time between long-term tenants. 

I have been very happy having Airbnb supporting me as a landlord. I hope I never go back to long term landlording through Craigslist. I shudder thinking it...

So far (knock on wood) , the quality of guest is a million times better than the dark old days when I was a longterm landlord with no marketing system.

Good luck

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Moe19 

Plese excuse my callous curiosity.It really is none of my business, but....

I have always been jealous of Airzona's landlord friendly laws. Why did you have to go to 2 court dates?

Did the tenant's bankruptcy complicate the eviction? 

Sorry you went through this awful process. I hate evicting people, it shakes my belief in human decency

1. Tenants disclosed about bankcruptcy on eviction hearing before Judge. Judge told us to go to bankcruptcy to ask to lift bankcruptcy stay.
  2. We hired attornay for it. He filled petition to list stay. Wo won after 45 days.
  3. We again issue 5 days notice and opted the regular process.
  4. During this time they took washer dryer and fixture.