What is the definition of a "guest suite"?

Answered!

What is the definition of a "guest suite"?

We have a floor with a separate bathroom devoted to Airbnb.

They use the same front entrance as we do to our home. I'm curious if this fits the bill for a 'guest suite,' but I am uncertain of the exact definition here.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

1 Best Answer
Ursula16
Level 5
Victoria, Australia

Interestingly, today ABB cancelled a five week booking because apparently the guest misunderstood what is ENTIRE GUEST SUITE. My space is large lounge / kitchenette, office / dining room, bedroom, large ensuite bathroom (with laundry shared with me). It has a separate entry. 

To justify the cancellation and full refund, the case manager called four rooms a Private Room.

When I was sent an email advising me to review my listing the Entire Guest Suite was described as self contained, had a private entry, but shared walls with the main property. So this is what I chose.

Since when has a four room suite been classified as a Private Room in a shared house? Guests do not share cooking facilities or living areas. 

When I rang the SuperHost hotline, the case manager had only Entire House / Apt, or Private Room categories available. I asked her to define ENTIRE GUEST SUITE for me. She said she'd call back. Has not!

A $3000 booking has been conveniently - for them - been cancelled - by erroneously reclassifying my space.  

View Best Answer in original post

26 Replies 26
Barb6
Level 10
Stevensville, MI

Our upstairs consists  of a guest area that we call a suite. Bedroom plus another area that includes small dining area, fridge, microwave and private bathroom.

Typically a bedroom plus another room for use is a suite.

We share the entrance also. 

Hope this helps.

If yours does not have another room for use besides the bedroom (not to include the bathroom) you could describe it as guest floor.

Heather188
Level 4
Juneau, AK

How would you describe an apartment in the lower level of a house that is completely self-contained and separate from the house?  There are no shared entrances or other spaces.  I do describe it in more detail in the listing and give good photographs but I don't want people to be confused or think I am not accurate.  

Did you ever find out what this would be considered?  In-law unit?

@Geraldine83, the topic of how to define these types of units can be confusing.

One of the most frustrating aspects of the issue is this: there really isn't any person or entity who evaluates the listings and gives out the correct answer.

There really isn't any way for @Heather188 to "find out what this would be considered" because there is no one to ask! (Even though we all want to know the answer.)

There is a solution though; a way to remember to think about it.

The goal of choosing a property type is to communicate to the guest what they are booking. If the guests who stay with you are happy with what they receive, then you have chosen the correct listing type.

If guests complain that what they got is not what they expected, you have chosen the wrong listing type.

Vanessa-and-Kurt0
Level 10
Farmington, CT

We have a bedroom and bathroom "Suite" at the top of the stairs in our home with a common entrance (our master suite and living area is on the first floor). With an adequate description and photos your guests should know what they are getting.

Ursula16
Level 5
Victoria, Australia

Interestingly, today ABB cancelled a five week booking because apparently the guest misunderstood what is ENTIRE GUEST SUITE. My space is large lounge / kitchenette, office / dining room, bedroom, large ensuite bathroom (with laundry shared with me). It has a separate entry. 

To justify the cancellation and full refund, the case manager called four rooms a Private Room.

When I was sent an email advising me to review my listing the Entire Guest Suite was described as self contained, had a private entry, but shared walls with the main property. So this is what I chose.

Since when has a four room suite been classified as a Private Room in a shared house? Guests do not share cooking facilities or living areas. 

When I rang the SuperHost hotline, the case manager had only Entire House / Apt, or Private Room categories available. I asked her to define ENTIRE GUEST SUITE for me. She said she'd call back. Has not!

A $3000 booking has been conveniently - for them - been cancelled - by erroneously reclassifying my space.  

@Ursula16, I looked at your listing, and I see you have provided a detailed description of the space.

While I am quite sure this incident was driven by the guest's desire to change their accommodations, your description does say:

"Shared space: 1.5m corridor linking the two halves - separated by a Japanese privacy screen. I occasionally need access to the laundry in your private bathroom space during longer stays"

That is the difference. A listing that is "Entire Place" has no shared spaces at all. Does this mean your listing has two (very minor) shared spaces?

(I am not sure what the shared corridor means though. Do you use this corridor also?)

I also think the best description of your listing is "Entire Guest Suite", but I can see the point of the shared areas being something a guest might not prefer.

Thank you for taking the time to look over my listing. The ABB drop down listings begin with the question: Which is most like your place? The operative word is MOST. A 1.5m corridor. An occasional need to wash my clothes in their bathroom (which also has my laundry) for about 50 minutes. I consider these minor provisos fit under the "most" question.

@Ursula16, I agree with you about how to classify your listing.

But apparently the difference is enough for Airbnb support to side with the guest in this instance.

I am hoping no other guests use it to take advantage of your hospitality.

I wouldn't consider that minor. I'm new to air bnb. A major consideration as I'm looking around at places for a vacation spot is whether I'll have anybody entering my space at all, even if it's only for a minute. To me, sperate is separate. I wouldn't want to stay someplace where there's just a screen separating me from a stranger. My 2 cents.

Hi Ursula - it's good to hear your experience. We have marketted our 'half-house' in the Dandenongs (Melbourne, Australia) as an apartment, and the first line of our profile says '... You are sharing half our house'.  We offer a large lounge with TV and A/C, couches, dining table for 4, breakfast bar and microwave and separate entrance directly to guest's car. Additionally there are two large bedrooms with built-in robes, and a bathroom, plus toilet, all for exclusive use of guests, and separated by removeable leadlight privacy door (so we get the house back when there are no guests). Guests are welcome to use our kitchen ( from which we are well separated).  Why would we offer this all as a 'room', but it's certainly not a 'whole house'. There is a new oddly named 'secondary unit' category, with subset of 'guest unit', but this sounds very awkward.

We feel for your situation. Despite our very clear description, we do get unhappy 'Oh, we're sharing with you' guests, but mostly happy. Losing a long term booking through no fault of your own seems very unfair.  I guess we all put up with the failure of guests to READ, and AirBnB's less than supportive attitude to hosts.  We never use Instant Book, yet still get surprised guests, sometimes.

We rented a nice place in Bordeaux a few years ago which was clearly described as and appeared to be an apartment. It was not: just a bedroom  bathroom toilet. Shared space was the  Kitchen washing machine, dining room, living room,  entrance,  TV, whirlpool spa and garden. Nice people not what we thought we were buying. We have been travelling to Europe for two months each year since 2008 only because we can afford it if we  use mainly  apartments. Parking, washing machines kitchen included make for great time and money savings and privacy is important as well. I sympathise with you as the description was clear; not for us but sounds great. 

I think you should consider yourself lucky - The guests I'm sure would have given you a poor review, which would have a bigger impact on your overall business.

Pearl6
Level 2
California, United States

I have the same issue!  This has never happened to me before covid, but customer service has declined significantly since covid.