What next? Part of damages denied by guest, involve Airbnb in resolution center, guest emailed me

Allison307
Level 2
Denver, CO

What next? Part of damages denied by guest, involve Airbnb in resolution center, guest emailed me

Guidance respectfully requested from experienced hosts regarding resolution center and guest denying damage claims:

A recent guest caused damage to the inside and outside of our property. I only requested part of the damages ($276) and other things I resolved myself with repair and extra cleaning time, hoping they would accept the charges and be reasonable. 

I requested money in the resolution center with pictures of the damage prior to the next guests arrival and within 48 hours of the "damaging" guests departure. 

The guest did not reply in 72 hours so I elected last night to "Involve Airbnb" in the resolution. 

This morning, the guest messaged me in the Airbnb system saying they will cover the cost of part of the damages (the broken lamp they texted me about during their stay) if I provide screen shots of the new product I am purchasing. 

They claimed "being in the house every day they would have noticed the stains" (tomato sauce) all over the carpet during their stay and are neither denying or admitting fault.

They also claimed that the retaining wall, which was partly torn down during their stay and left as a mess of broken bricks in our yard, was damaged when they checked in and "they replaced blocks so the children wouldn't injure themselves."

Question is: 

- Now that the claim is in the stage of Involve Airbnb in the resolution center and the guest is emailing me outside the resolution center, what action should I take? 

- I don't have pictures of the property IMMEDIATELY before the guests checked in. However, I cleaned and inspected the entire property myself immediately before they checked in. There was only a very short, two hour window between when I left and they arrived in which no one else would have had access to the house and given where we live a 0.0001% chance of anyone on our back patio. What are my chances of Airbnb helping me? 

Thanks in advance for your advice as I appreciate learning from y'alls experience and expertise. Best, Allison 

2 Replies 2
Kimberlee2
Level 2
San Antonio, TX

Hi @Allison307 , I'm sorry that you are dealing with this.  I wish I could give you a detailed answer, but the truth is -- after hosting over 1,650 reservations -- and submitting only three total resolution claims, I have only been reimbursed for one. 

The first one was a lot of damage, when a guest actually broke into a tiny home listing we had in the backyard of the property, took items from the tiny home into the listing they paid for, spread illegal drugs all over the tiny home, then proceeded to do donuts in two cars on the newly landscaped driveway (140-ft x 40-ft) which cost over $40k.  Despite police reports and photos, Airbnb declared the driveway, which was actually crushed granite that had been compacted down and included with the landscaping contract, Airbnb determined that the driveway was not included in the Host Guarantee Policy because it was considered "land," not landscaping.  Had the driveway been paved, it would have been covered.

The next one involved a broken historic glass window.  I noticed that the window was broken on checkout day, and the guests had just left.  I immediately messaged and called them, and they didn't take my calls. So, since we only have until the next guest checks in to make a resolution center claim, I had to call specialty contractors to source the glass, and find someone who could come asap to do the repair, since the next guest was checking in that same day.  The guest claimed that she wasn't responsible, and that she worked at a short term rental management company and that I should have the extra money set aside for such things.  So, basically, she knew the rules, and denied my claim, as did Airbnb, despite an invoice, photos, etc.  Airbnb determined that since the guest had dogs that were staying in the listing, the dogs could have been responsible, and the Airbnb Host Guarantee doesn't cover damages from pets -- "EVEN IF YOU HAVE A DEPOSIT IN YOUR LISTING!"  They also harshly disallowed further conversations about this situation, including any appeals, and that they reserve the right to make the final decision.

Finally, the last one was actually paid for by Airbnb.  Guest washed comforter in my front-loading high efficiency washer.  Apparently the comforter ripped open, and all of the stuffing became lodged inside the filter and the washtub.  I was unable to launder linens that day, and of course, had a checkin in a few hours. 

There was water standing in the washtub, and the contractor couldn't make it out to the home until the next day, but I was left to figure out how much to charge without knowing exactly what was wrong.  So, I spent an hour troubleshooting with LG (manufacturer), while watching YouTube videos, and scouring Home Advisor for possible costs.  I then had to generate an estimate, include tons of photos, and screenshots of the conversation between the guest and myself, and after a little more than a month, I was finally reimbursed.  

The entire process was confusing, and took an inordinate amount of time, leaving me to think that the trust and safety department is just another way of describing a department designed to protect Airbnb legally, and to keep them out of host/guest disputes as much as possible.

Given my experiences, I can only offer the following information regarding this process:

1. Organize your claim, and create a simple reminder system for following up every few days to determine the status of your claim and whether or not you need to submit more evidence/supporting documentation

2.Read the Host Guarantee thoroughly and look for any loopholes that you can avoid or prepare for.

3. Do anything and everything to prove your case and be certain it is entirely based on "Airbnb's Host Guarantee's Policies."

Perhaps one of your neighbors has a RING or other type of video doorbell and may have video evidence available?

Additionally, are there any real estate photos on Realtor.com or Zillow or Redfin that show your home prior or even Google?

I hope that helps to set your expectations and give you a bit of insight as to my own experiences.

I hope this helps! 

~ Kimberlee

Thanks so much @Kimberlee2 , very helpful. How frustrating for you. Other hosting sites are much more host friendly when it comes to damages. 

I do have photos of the home and specific areas that were damaged from prior to this guest - just not immediately prior (as in that day). 

I haven't heard back from anyone at Airbnb yet so I just rang them. They said they are escalating my claim but I fear from what I have read on these forums; I shouldn't take this as a sign of progress. 😞