What the heck??? Why is there not a pet fee button?

Rene1
Level 2
Monroe, WA

What the heck??? Why is there not a pet fee button?

Our rentals are very pet friendly.  I can add a cleaning fee...  an extra person fee.... a sucurity deposit.....where is the pet fee?  If there is none please tell me the reason for this.  I handle irritation much better if I know why:)  Rene

34 Replies 34
Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Rene1,

I cannot answer why there is not a pet fee button but you could put in your listing that you are very pet friendly and advertise the pet fee there.  When people enquire and have a pet, you can "send a special offer" or if the book, you can send a request for payment of additional services and collect the pet fee that way.  I think it would be pretty easy for Airbnb to add a section for this and maybe it is something they will do in the future.

I am sure I did not settle down your "irritation" but hopefully this will give you some options until they choose to add one.

Happy hosting!

Dave

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Empathy and suggestions always help! Thanks!  It is strange to me that there is not a pet button:(  I will use you suggestions until then.  Rene

Probably because they haven't thought of it yet.

If you raise it as an issue, maybe they'll make room for it.

There are so many good reasons to allow pets and, I think an equal number of good reasons not to allow them. We can't really get a pet because we like to travel and we don't want to leave a pet alone or with a sitter all the time. If we ever did get a pet, I would always be looking for pet friendly listings, as I know many people do.

On the other hand, dog and cat dander are serious and common allergies and no amount of cleaning will completely eliminate them so, for the sake of those with allergies, we keep our listings pet free.

Talk about it - tell Airbnb you want it. They have a facebook page. I'm sure they'd be open to adding a button for that.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Rene1,

Lovely to meet you, thanks for starting this thread. Just to introduce myself I am the Online Community Manager for the English speaking area of the Community Center and I am happy to pass over any particular features to the Airbnb Team which the Community would like to see as an enhancement to the site. Do keep them coming! 

Thanks so much 🙂

It would be great to hear if any other host have any thoughts on implementing this button? 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Katie6
Level 1
Barnstaple, United Kingdom

Hi - I think a pet fee button would be good but so far my dog owners have the left the cottage absolutely immaculate but previously you can charge an extra £10 or something if you have a pet.  It could be an option but shouldn't be compulsory so maybe difficult to implement. I wouldn't want to put people with pets off. 

I think this would be really easy for Airbnb to implement.  I would just make it the same way the cleaning fee works.  You would click the check box next to "Pet Fee" and then it would give a box to put in the amount.

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

I think a pet fee button that was attached to the segment of the amenities that states whether or not you allow pets would be excellent for people who want to generally open their rental to pets. However, I do not want to advertise it, but will sometime allow it. There should be an "Additional Fees" button that can be used along with a description to acommodate out-of-the-ordinary requests by customers.

Hi We are new to AirBnb but have rented out our house/condo for short term rentals for over 15 years.  We have dogs and consider them part of our family and so for the most part they come with us when we travel.  Too often "dog rooms" in hotels are smoking rooms, Yuk. or are the last rooms to be renoavated in complex.  Most of the time Hotels charge a modest fee, why? becasue they can and I will pay it.  Our unit is pet friendly (no carpets).  We have never had a problem pet yet (knock on wood).  I think it is hard for travellers to find decent accomadation for them that allows pets.  I do not wish to disourage non-pet owners from staying in our suite by charging more nor do I want to surprise guests (or bury it deep in the listing) that there is an extra charge for cleaning and a modest bump in nightly price for pets.  In our area there are few options for pet friendly AirBnb accomodation, so to us this makes us stand out.  If we can make it simple and up front as well as be able to boast about the closeness of the off leash park and other trails very close to our location that would follow the trust and quality that is promoted here. We are loving the ease and safety of AirBnb, and this would definatley make it better for all, and perhaps eliminate the surprise dog visit to those that do not allow pets.

Thanlk you

Gary & Lila

Fernie BC

I would love to have a button for a pet fee! I just had a nice young man who stayed for about two weeks and unfortunately his dog ripped up a two inch by ten inch section of the wall to wall carpet right in the middle of the living room! He texted me immediately and offered to help fix it but has since checked out and I am now using the resolutution section of Airbnb. The carpet has to be totally replaced.... If I had a pet fee for each guest that came with a pet, I could use that money to pay for a situation like this - unless he steps up and makes the payment he should make.....

I too would like a pet fee button. I am happy to allow dogs, but renters often allow them on the beds and couches. My housekeeper understandably charges me more when there is dog hair all over the couches and blankets, and I would like to be able to pass this cost along.

I absolultey encourage Air B&B to create a pet fee button. I love dogs and have allowed people to bring them..however there have been a few times where it has ended up costing me money. It costs me extra with a house cleaner or when Im doing the cleaning it takes double the time because dog hair is very hard to get rid of. Although I ask people to bring dog pillows to prevent them from getting on my couch and day bed there are still instances where they are covered with fur and a couple times my sheets have been ruined by mud stains etc that required fresh linens to be purchased. Then there is also the risk of fleas. It require alot more work to allow pets and I want to be able to provide a nice place for people traveling with pets but there is also the risk of losing customers that are allergic. Often times people leave their dogs home when they go out to dinner and sometimes they bark and bark and chew and carry on. there have to be guidelines set for this to protect the community who are kind enough to allow pets. We should be able to have that built in cost and protection in our fees. 

A pet fee option would be a GREAT idea! On this thread now because I'm trying to figure out how to charge one myself, without being in violation of the Terms of Service.

I agree.  Where you have an option for an extra charge for extra people, put an option for a fee for pets.

Another vote for a pet fee button, I do not currently and have noticed I am getting a lot of dogs which I do not mind but it is extra work.

David