What will it take to get AirBnB to add "optional services" menu to our listings?

Geoff22
Level 10
Bellevue, WA

What will it take to get AirBnB to add "optional services" menu to our listings?

I cannot understand why after all this time AirBnB has not given hosts the ability to list "optional services" with fixed charges that guests can just tic off and pay for when they book?  Give hosts a blank page of up to 4 (or more) things they can fill in with prices; "pet fee" or "breakfast items"  "roll away bed" or any number of other things that hosts could offer.

As it stands now,  it's quite awkward to have a guest book, and then have to say "Oh, I see you are bringing a dog.  As stated in our listing, there is a $20 pet fee, which will be collected via the resolution center."  - Now I have to hope they READ the listing and are OK with that.  

It would be so much simpler and easier for everyone if the options were presented at booking time.

Please - tell me - what do we have to do to get AirBnB to make this possible?

36 Replies 36

Donna, you know exactly the situation.  I hate asking for "more money" after booking, it seems so cheesy.  I'm wracking my brain to figure out why airbnb hasn't implemented it yet, it would be so simple to do.. Perhaps they are afraid of guests complaining that the "optional service I paid for was [ not given | poor quality | not worth what I paid ] "

Lizzy, as the originator of this thread, please put me on your "contact soon" list.   I've tried to suggest it at various times, and I'd be shocked if any airbnb host said "that's a horrible idea".  I'm sure there are reasons why airbnb has not implemented it yet, but I doubt they are technical.  

It would sure help the hosts out, and it fits right in with optional "experiences" as a way for hosts to offer more services to their guests.

Please keep me posted as to progress on getting this implemented.

Casita-By-The-Texas-Bay0
Level 10
Texas, United States

It would be great! 

Extra fee for bycicles, beach equipment or a kayak for example.

Or if the guest are staying longer and want to have additional cleaning service.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

It seems like a no brainer, it gives both hosts and guests more options, and would be much easier and efficient than having to add any extras through the resolution center after the fact.  So, it will probably never happen, LOL.

Kathy139
Level 2
Mesa, AZ

It would be great if we could have the option on the website to charge extra for pets. 

In my opinion, it may not be a good idea. So many guests didn't read the description, and if they ever got something for FREE from other hosts (light snacks or daily change of towels), then it creates chaos of chasing them to pay up the extra services.

It also put even higher standards for all hosts, which many of us are already hands-full for all operating maintenance. We are not hotels, and many AB guests are just looking for less expansive alternatives, I am not able to be a personal concierge for different requests.

@Helen and Mario

I think @Geoff22's idea is that is an optional tool that hosts can use if they so wish and the host decides which chargeable extras they want to include or not. If you don't want to offer snacks or daily towels, you don't have to, but if you do, you are able to offer this as a paid service when the guest books. The guest can choose which extras they want and the cost is added to their booking, so @Geoff22's idea is designed to cut out the "chaos of chasing them to pay up the extra services".

The only problem I see with this is that certain guests will choose not to tick and pay for extra services but will mentally register that the service is available and expect it for free. I have hosted those kinds of guests, so I can see this happening.

What do you do then? You are back to square one and having to send them a request for the money, which I have recently found out, they have no obligation to pay. If the guest ignores the request, Airbnb will not charge them any money still owed to the host, even if the message thread clearly shows they had asked for the service and been informed of the cost.

the guests get email confirmations of their visit.  Those confirmations would also include extra services they have ordered.  If they're not on the 'receipt', they didn't order them.

"chasing them to pay up" is what I am trying to avoid.  The idea is each host has a menu of services with prices and guests select and pay at the time of BOOKING.  Airbnb collects and passes on the money, and you are done.  As it is now, if you have any extras, you have to "ask" for payment after the guest books. 

And airbnb already DOES this when it comes to extra guests.  So please let's get this 'extras' menu going!

Paula790
Level 2
Temple, TX

I totally agree. I have guests for 28 days and I only clean the room after check out. I would like to offer extra cleaning for fee for long stays but have no options for that on Abnb. Also we should as host be able to charge fees for extras and have them listed on the listing.

Annelies24
Level 2
Kimbolton, New Zealand

That would be awesome... I offer meals, haven't had a pet yet but I am pet friendly.. 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

One thing we have thought of doing is offering guests a welcome meal, which we would love to do, but without a simple way to offer it where guests can check yes or no, it's too cumbersome at this point.

Virge1
Level 1
Peetri, Estonia

I've thought about the same thing. Early check-in, late check-out, airport pick-up ... to name the first things in my mind...

Tony-And-Una0
Level 10
Belfast, United Kingdom

Hello,

I think this would be a great idea.  Espcially for early and late check-in/out and additional cleaning and towels etc.

Just be aware that if you charge for airport transfers, you may be invalidating your car  insurance policy as your car is being used for commercial purposes. This could be quite a serious issue if an accident happened.

Tony

Good call on the transfers.    It was just an idea of one thing a host COULD offer.