What will it take to get AirBnB to add "optional services" menu to our listings?

Geoff22
Level 10
Bellevue, WA

What will it take to get AirBnB to add "optional services" menu to our listings?

I cannot understand why after all this time AirBnB has not given hosts the ability to list "optional services" with fixed charges that guests can just tic off and pay for when they book?  Give hosts a blank page of up to 4 (or more) things they can fill in with prices; "pet fee" or "breakfast items"  "roll away bed" or any number of other things that hosts could offer.

As it stands now,  it's quite awkward to have a guest book, and then have to say "Oh, I see you are bringing a dog.  As stated in our listing, there is a $20 pet fee, which will be collected via the resolution center."  - Now I have to hope they READ the listing and are OK with that.  

It would be so much simpler and easier for everyone if the options were presented at booking time.

Please - tell me - what do we have to do to get AirBnB to make this possible?

36 Replies 36
Steven65
Level 10
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

@Geoff22Good idea. I was thinking if same could apply to late checkout, early check in, or bag drop fees - but on second thoughts - require careful logistics and confirmations.  

some things could be complicated to DO but you dont need to do them if you dont want to. The idea is to have a blank grid for each host who decides what they want to offer. You offer breakfast, I offer airport pickup. 

I like the optional services idea.  If you don't spell it out with a fee attached you end up doing it for free.  

I have been concerned of late regarding cancellation policy.  After a little research I learned that Airbnb had an extenuating circumstances policy for guests and hosts.  Hosts can cancel without penalty for extenuating circumstances as can guests.  I operate in a remote area of BC Canada and host guests who have planned their trip months prior to staying with us.  They are involved in high risk sports in the back country and could very easily find themselves with extenuating circumstances.  In which case airbnb would cancel the reservation an the host does not get paid.  Your cancellation policy is nul and void in these extenuating circumstances.  I have been asking for Airbnb to put an optional trip insurance package on the site so that they can put the responsibility of underwriting the guests booking in the hands of an insurance underwriter and the guest and not rely on the hosts to pick up the tab when something goes wrong with the guests, friends, family, health or any other event that is considered extenuating circumstances.  I have made request on the help page for optional trip insurance so that guests and airbnb can protect themselves and not put that responsibilty on hosts.  I urge everyone to do the same.  Pass it on.  

Nash-and-Audrey0
Level 2
Cloverdale, CA

I just had the same experience with a customer who didn't see the pet fee charge. He then disputed it as if it were an optimal payment that was up to him to negotiate. I like your idea of how to set it up. People skim the info and then change there mind when surprised by a new fee. I don't think it's the fee that bothers then so much as the change in their planning. I  also would like to see it with the rest of the fees . It would help everyone.

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

I think this is a great idea. It also gives you notice of what extras they intend to opt into:

We offer a few extras but all require notice to setup:

1. Personal Airport pickup and drop off service;
  2. Light meal or snacks for anyone arriving late, tired and hungry;
  3. Daily towel change and bed making service;
  4. Various wall art and hand crafts made of hand polished NZ Paua shell;

It’s not a long list, but certainly it would be easier if guests could order the first 3 things up front with their booking. We get a lot of travellers from Asia in our part of the world, particularly from China, and we read from the tourism advisory guide that they specifically prefer (and look for) places that offer extras like item 3 of the above.

So if these were things we could offer at the time of booking, through an Airbnb Optional Services menu, it would most likely set us apart and help secure more bookings in the high season.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

Yes, what will it take? Not hosts' persistent requests, obviously.

Nathan230
Level 1
Austin, TX

If you manage 6 or more properties you can do that.

Hi Nathan, 

Are you saying that Airbnb gives you an option to pay for additional services if you have 6 + listings? 

Nathan, is there an "extra services" menu avaialble for hosts with 6 or more properties? I would love to see a screenshot.

Absolutely. Kind of runs counter to the virtue signalling purpose of the platform - and also might make some city ordinances unhappy too!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Contact AirBNB

Where is the setting if you have 6 or more properties? I've not seen it. I have seven listings.

Donna3
Level 3
Los Angeles, CA

ABB has this community forum for hosts, but do they participate?  I doubt it.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Donna3,

Lovely to meet you and welcome to the Community Center, my name is Lizzie and I am the Community Manager here. 

I read all the discussions here in the CC and highlight feedback and ideas back to the team on behalf of the community. So, your voices are being heard. 

I hope to speak with you more.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Dear Lizzie,

Thank you for responding.  

I have been on this site for a few years and many ask for a field for the TOT, but Airbnb has yet to add it.  The suggestions do not work.  Asking for money after booking doesn't set well with the guests.