an extra guest arrived and I could not accommodate them

Sasay0
Level 2
Alexandria, Australia

an extra guest arrived and I could not accommodate them

I've been hosting for a while now and no problems, in fact I enjoy it. I had a guest book one room for two people but then they showed up with three and I could not accomodate them. My listing is up to four people but I had already informed the guest that my children were arriving on the same day and hoped that would be OK. They arrived at my house with an extra (unnancounced) guest and I apologised but said I had no space for the extra person. They were very upset, saying that I had listed space for four but only had space for two. I informed them that it is my home and as they booked for two, I accomodated two, not three. I stood firm and suggested some places close by where their friend could stay. they have given me a terrible review. Was I wrong?

23 Replies 23
Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

@Sasay0

Looking at your listing you are advertising a private space - but with two bedrooms available and a bed in each room.

I see you changed the goalposts before these particular guests arrived, to allow access to only one of the two bedrooms they expected to have. I think it depends on the communication in advance - if you clearly explained to the guests beforehand that they wouldn't have full access to the space, or given them an opportunity to allow you cancel the booking or perhaps renegotiate the fees.

If they understood fully and agreed in advance, then all is well.

So if you personally think you communicated this as well as you could - and the guest confirmed they were prepared to continue with one room, it should have been the end of the matter.  However in the review the guest quotes 'What the owner should have done was to tell me that she sold the other room to other guests too since she decided to do it'.

From the guests review, he mentions 'some miscommunications' - critically he must shoulder some responsibilty for this is he said in the review ; 'I thought it would be okay to pay for the extra person when I arrived with only 3 people'

To me it looks like the guest had a surprise when he arrived and you had a surprise with having to deal with a trio instead of duet.

The end result was the guest writing a review where he starred as the poor indignant victim highlighted with capital letters, egregious adjectives,  faux multiple question marks and a few other minor quibbles thrown in for good measure.

Anyway, I guess the lesson here is all about prior communications regarding future changes. 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Wrong no, but was it wise is the real question? It is easy for people to forget the little details and exceptions about where they are staying. A lot depends on the particular people's past communication, their attitude, reasons and situation, which only you can determine. Perhaps in this specific situation it would have been wiser (not a matter of right or wrong, legality or even fairness) to accomodate them, for obvious reasons; they were traveling as three (3) and they may write a bad review.

Nancy244
Level 2
Westhampton Beach, NY

I have a hard time getting details from my guests...I may be dumb but I'm also new and rely on Airbnbn to give me exceptional guests.  So far so good!  

They do the best they can, but we (and them) are dealing with the full spectrum of human nature which ranges from angels to devils.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I disagree a little with the other hosts that have responded.

Your guests booked for two people in one room. They didn't book for three people in two rooms.

They brought an unanncounced guest who they had neither booked nor paid for and expected you to accommodate them, know your other room was going to be occupied by your children.

They had no reason for them to be upset, you could have equally had that room occupied by other paying guests.

Where did they expect the third person to stay exactly?

In your situation, the only thing I would have done differently is to contact Airbnb and explain your guests had turned up with three guests, you couldn't accommodate the group and ask Airbnb to cancel the booking and find them somewhere where they could all be together.

I wouldn't have wanted these guests in my house.

@Helen3 But the listing advertises a private space consisting of not one room but two rooms - sleeping arrangements are listed as two double beds and two couches. Perhaps @Sasay0 needs to revisit her listing and refine the offering. 

The guest seems to have booked two people for those two rooms advertised as the private space, maybe they even expected to sleep in separate beds. 

It seems to me the host should have nailed it down in advance that there is a fundamental change in the listing - they wouldn't get these two rooms but access to one room. Was it communicated clearly and in a timely manner? 

The guest is pulling a fast one by turning up with one extra person without doubt, he failed to communicate. That's when it all fell down.

Mala0
Level 7
Torquay, United Kingdom

Sasay... hi.

I dont actually agree with Fred as you state it was impossible to have 3 staying in one room if you where not equipped for this or had told them only one room was available.  

Bottom line This guest did not tell you 3 where arriving at any point. He says he thought he could just come as 3 and pay the extra!.. bull!.

He obviously only put 2 guests down on booking and paid accordingly. I would bet he did not digest you said that you had your children coming and just assummed he would get both rooms at for the price of 2 and did not fully read or comprehend the message about your children staying. Maybe he didnt understand that meant only 1 room available. 

If he really wanted 3 people he would have tried to book both rooms upfront not land on your doorstep with an extra and try to barter away from Airbnb for a cheap rate for 3rd!..

Communication is paramount and i am O.T.T with this regard as i know there are a huge element of guests who do not read listings or skim through emails to them etc, then they blame you for them not having read your listing. They do expect Airbnb to be uniform and like small hotels and do not understand every Airbnb is unique in listing requirements and what is on offer.

I always strongly urge my guests to read the entire listing and ask them to let me know anything they require or wish before they arrive.

I am a superhost and not as hard as I am sounding but i have learnt that clarification and communication is vital.  I Ask for all guests names before they arrive. 

You are not wrong and well done for sticking to your guns, i find those guests who try it on at the beginning end up being nightmare and demanding guests all the way through often.  Why should we continuallly be held ransom the the stars and reviews when we know we are compromizing ourselves to many times in many ways over the impact of low reviews/stars!..

Its annoying I know.. Sorry this happened to you.

Mala x

This is what I wrote: "A lot depends on the particular people's past communication, their attitude, *reasons* and situation, which only you can determine."

~IF~ the person acknowleged and then ignore the unavailability of up to 4 guests staying, OR expected not to pay for the extra room, etc. then all bets are off, of course. I don't think any of those pertinent facts were included in the OP's post.

Addendum: Just read the guest's review, and it appears it is a classic case of miscommunication and nothing more, it happens. This is a good example of never to assume anything.

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Sasay0

I believe there is something wrong in the description of your "bright, airy room" - it shows 3 bedrooms and 3 beds when in fact it is only one room with one bed in it.  Very confusing and can lead to misunderstandings.

Monica4
Level 10
Ormstown, Canada

The Bottom Line

The guests booked for 2 people and paid for two people. Ony two people are allowed.

I would write exactly that and nothing more in the response to their review.

Cathy172
Level 10
Dennis, MA

@Sasay0 if it's any consolation I think your response to the review was very good and prospective guests reading your reviews will see that this guest made a stupid assumption that he could just show up with another person.

Roberta2
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

HI

I agree that the guests should not have arrived with 3 people if they booked for 2.

I checked your listing, and you have 2 listings.

Private, light-filled rooms with AC - clearly shows that it is for 2 peple.

bright, airy room, seminyak villa, shared pool - says it accomodates 3 people.

If that is not the case, I would amend that listing.

I would add, in both listings, that you have 2 rooms to rent out independently, but they could be booked together by a group/ 2 couples / a family.

Sasay0
Level 2
Alexandria, Australia

Hi, 

I have tried to communicate that but not very well. I also wanted to turn off instant booking but I get a heavy message from airbnb about that. Time to have another look I think. Thanks.

Georgette8
Level 1
Washington, DC

NO!  You were right to stand firm.  How could they think it was Ok to book for two and show up with three.  Even if you can usually accommodate four, they should have cleared the third person with you.