children

Tiare-and-Alfi0
Level 2
Saint Augustine, FL

children

I had guest who showed up with 2 kids instead of the claimed one. Guest claimed they were sure they said two but that was not he case.  Two separate messages claiming "MY CHILD" and"MY KID",  plus childern were extremly rambuntions in my lovely, perfectly decorated and very clean childhood home.  They jumped on every piece of furniture in the first five min and jumped on a couch on the edge of a 2nd story deck.  Have had three converstations with guest too include when I found the children playing sword fights with my bamboo placemats rolled up all while standing on the same couch on the edge!   I asked them to get mom and they told me she was in the bedroom ( no where near the deck).  I explained againg about unattneded children ( posted in rules) and she hopefully took it to heart.  Help, after a year of 98% positive hosting, I am in fear of two weeks of hell and damage from these children. FYI- I sumbitted this to Airbnb to document what is occuring and to have them verify he said ONE child.

Any guidance would be much appreciated!

Tiare

7 Replies 7
Luis-and-Tati0
Level 10
New York, NY

Hi @Tiare-and-Alfi0

Not all guests, specially kids, will be well behaved and respectful with you and your belongings... One day you may host the best guest ever and the next day you may get this kids...

Try to keep valuable and sentimental items away from all guests AT ALL TIMES... They are not covered by the host guarantee...

If your guests are not exceeding your maximum allowed of 4 people you have no grounds to complain... as you do not charge extra $$ for extra guests, 1 or 4 is the same price...

After they leave check to see if there are damages and submit the claim if you find anything bad, damages with more than $300 requires a police report...

If they are exceeding more than 4 guests you may be able to evict them from your house or demand more money... In Florida there is a maximum of 1 guest for every 150sq/ft ("All units must comply with the requirements of NFPA 101, the Life Safety Code".)

Usually we leave our guests at easy when they are at our house... If there's any problem we file a claim with airbnb after their check-out...

Luis

I have once had a couple turn up with unexpected 18 month TWINS who thought kids didn't count.  It seems parents think they should always stay free.  And, once again today the expected guests have just informed me there is a 4 year old coming... I feel mean amending the booking so will just let it pass.  I have since priced the apartment as $x for first person and $x per person after that, but I had to put in the blurb that only children >5yrs are free.

I think AirBnb should clarify the pricing option so we can say how many adults and how many children.  THIS would clean up this situatioin.  How can we ask them to do this? Do they read these?  It would be better to have some place to make suggestions like this (or is there already?)

Jan

You think children under 5 should be free? I would let babies be free say 2 and under. But if they can walk about smearing everything with their little hands then they are actually more wear and tear on my home. I also have a pool and there will be considerable "doings" in there I'm sure.

I agree that there should be a place for prospective guests to identify adults and children.  I am constantly finding guests do not mention their children and assume that they are free?  Why? Children use beds, water, power, linen etc the same as adults and often cause much more mess. How can I make it clear that they are part of the number of guests?  I put it in my blurb but it is not read thoroughly.

Please do not let guests take advantage of bringing additonal guests. Children or otherwise. If they stay in your home they need to be included in the payment of full guests count!  It sets a bad precedent and now they will try it again with the next host.

Totallyt agree !

Airbnb has made a decision on our behalf that children 2 and under are free.  This now causes an instant problem, should you state that they too must pay.  Let us decide if kids are free or not.  Put the algorithm back to all must pay, Host can then decide if child is free or not.  I'm livid.  Just had a 5 and 2 yr old stay, (lovely kids) but the 2 yr old made the mess, every glass door, every table, etc etc.......  aaaggghhh

Lois-and-Darryl0
Level 10
Rochester, WA

Our listing is a 3 bdrm, 2 bath home that is PERFECT for families.  We also spent $2000 installing a chain link fence around our huge back yard to accept two medium dogs.  Our house is perfect for families with dogs.  We started listing this last June, and our third booking brought one dog that ended THAT allowance for us.  We were appalled that people would disrespect our beautiful and very clean home so much.  So, no dogs.  Over the course of the next several bookings we had three families with kids, no more than two kids was what we allowed.  And aftr three listings, that did it.  Now, no kids.  We are an older couple and while we can fix the broken things ourselves, it was just WAY TOO UPSETTING to come back to our home and see things broken that were totally avoidable, things filthy or items just all pulled out and just not care about, and just our home in disarray because kids weren't being supervised.  We agreed that those items that made our listing more competitive in the market of our area which is a great destination place (near Mt. Rainier & Mt. St. Helens) - that it wasn't worth having our house taken apart bit by bit, and having us be pissed off, just to accept kids and dogs.  And now we have much more piece of mind, and have had not one issue since!  We love hosting - I especially love it.  I love our country and love helping people make great memories; and having kids and dogs was ruining the positive aspect of this great Airbnb experience for us.  Good Luck with your Airbnb experience.  It sounds to me like you should re-think who you allow in your home - for your own piece of mind, and the protection of your beautiful things.