difficult guest

Marlowe0
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

difficult guest

hello there!

ok so i have an older guest (in her 50s or 60s) staying during this long weekend and from the beginning it's been difficult. she told me she would check in at 2:30pm on friday and then called me at noon saying she was already in the area and if i could meet her earlier. I was at work and tried to get out of there early to get there for 2pm. i proceeded to help bring her bags into my apartment, show her around and then also put the wifi password into her phone. i tried to make sure everything was ok before i left, and then she texts me saying she's disappointed because there isn't enough space for her to put her clothes (i left about 12 free hangers in my closet as well as 3 empty drawers in my dresser), that my shower curtain is too thin, and that my bed is too low her for. she then calls me 3 times and i talk with her trying to appease her but also letting her know that my apartment is as it says in the listing and i live there, not like some airbnbs that are primarily for renting out. she seems shocked that i live there, asks why is my lamp so far away from the bed, how there aren't enough towels (i left 4 clean towels in the dresser), the fact i don't have a bath mat is a liability and she might slip? i tell her if she's uncomfortable i can see if there are any other listings that are in the same area that are free, i sent her a list of spots. she then calls me to say my internet is too slow so she can't check my message to her. she texts me at midnight, and then again at 7am this morning saying she's had an uncomfortable sleep and my bed is too low and the sun is coming in. i'm coming into the apartment today to put up a curtain and bring her a bath mat but HONESTLY THIS IS TOO MUCH. i worry about the review, but mostly it's just that this is taking up so much of my time and i've made the effort to go beyond being hospitable. this is literally a situation where she doesn't like my apartment at all because it doesn't suit her. do i just wait for her to go and brave the review? should i offer a discount? i honestly don't know what else to do for this person. also most of our messages were sent via text, if things went to airbnb. 

8 Replies 8
Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

Text messages are not going to be your friend. I would copy and paste ALL of the text messages that the two of you have sent each other into an AirBNB message with an introduction such as, "Just so we have all our messages confirmed in the AirBNB system, I am sending you a synopsis of our conversations." End with a friendly, "I will be by the apartment at xx:xx time to bring you a curtain and bathmat." Some people will never be happy.

Cherie12
Level 1
Anchorage, AK

In my opinion, she's making ridiculous complaints so you will be threatened by a bad review. Offering her a discount is not necessary. She sounds like the kind of person that would take the discount and still give a bad review. We hosts should do everything, including being professional and courteous, with our guests and if we've been clear in our ad, that's enough! If a low standing bed is a real issue for a guest, I believe it's incumbent on them to ask those kind of questions prior to renting. We are not mind readers.
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

All else aside, a rubber bathmat is an excellent thing to have and I would not be without it. Minimum safety, and now you will have one! I didn't until I had my parents stay and they were clinging to the walls and curtain rail in fear of slipping. Once they mentioned it I ran out and got one straight away so nobody would break their hip on my watch. Or bring down the rail... Esp hair conditioner rinsing down the floor makes for a slip hazard.

James182
Level 1
Petaluma, CA

I would leave an honest review. In fact you might check to see if she has already had similar honest reviews. AND if she gives you a bad review make sure to post a response to it. You might also AIRBnb for guidance.
Rehan-and-Maria0
Level 2
Stockholm, Sweden

Hey,

We had similar issues with around 2-3 guests at different times as we hosted more than 100 trips. I don't think one or two bad reviews will affect things much. Many people are new to AIRBNB and they think that hosts are just free to help us with hosting. We had very demanding guests and few left bad review too although we always try our best to help every guest. I believe few bad reviews is not a big deal. Just try your best.

Regards

Rehan

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Too bad you are experiencing this with the guest.  Possibly a large glass of wine will help...just kidding.  I agree with the other hosts that, except for the bath mat, you just smile and nod your head.  She will be gone soon and be replaced by a lovely person.  Under no circumstance give any idea of a refund and please be sure to do an accurate review.  BTW, these type of tales are great to share later on down the road over dinner with friends. LOL

Eloise0
Level 10
Winslow, AZ

Dear Marlowe,

If I were you I would only correspond with her through the airbnb platform and then you will have a record of her complaints and concerns  and she will  end up doing the ugly work for you as she is probably not aware of how the email platform works and that should take some of the stress away.  I would definitely not give her a discount as that is what she wants you to do.  Don't let her bully you.  Don't break your own rules or airbnb's and it will all work out.  As one of the other  very wise Hosts(Linda) said that not too far in the future it will make a great story.  Sorry you have to put up with it, but the more Hosts stick to their guns the faster Guests of her ilk will start to get the message that they can't get away with their little scams through airbnb.

Eloise

Nancy67
Level 10
Charleston, SC

Do not be disheartend. Stay your course, trust the process--  potential guests believe what is consistant when reading reviews. E.g: Clean; Freindly; Welcoming; Comfortable; Beautiful. They might read, but will see through a shallow guests nit-piks. 

If you must respond to a foolish, whiny guests bad reviews, do it breifly and without appolgy:

"It is unfortunate (guest name) did not find the accomodations to be on par, or consistant with the reviews of past guests. We wish (guest name) well in her travels, and hope when she finds that perfect place to stay, she will let us know, so we can reccomend it and perhaps visit there ourselves."