guest profile photo no image

Valerie283
Level 3
Katoomba, Australia

guest profile photo no image

We understand a verified person would have a photo of their image on the profile.  A recent request came through.  We wanted to look at the profile and photo before we accept or reject.  However the profile photo of our prospective guest showed only some flowers.

If they are verified person, why wouldn't a photo of their image is shown?

20 Replies 20
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Valerie283

It is fully possible to have any kind of photo on your profile.  Add to your house rules that ID must match profile photo, then ask guest to upload.  Make sure you accept or decline within the given time frame or your response rate will take a hit and your calendar may be blocked for the dates in question.

Anyone can send a request - they do not even have to be verified.  If you have Instant Book enabled and receive a request, it can be an indication that they do not meet your booking requirements.  It is then up to you in communication with your prospective guest to get the party going.  If they are unwilling to co-operate, I would decline. 

I have a recent booking gone through from a verified guest where there is no photo whatsoever - their location is wrong too - they are Germans.

https://www.airbnb.com/users/show/167192451

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

Jackie1
Level 3
Freeport, The Bahamas

This is more of a comment: but I really wish that airbnb can fix the set up process, so that a customer cannot complete their sign up until a profile picture is uploaded. I have received two bookings in the last two days (instant book) without a profile photo. One customer complied right away I am waiting on the next one. I understand that the quality or subject of the profile photo is one thing, but I strongly feel that a profile photo should be MANDATORY upon sign up. We rent a room within our home and feel very strongly about this seemingly large loop hole.

Larisa4
Level 9
Washington, DC

Honest question: what in someone's appearance in a photo would be considered disqualifying if it were present? I've always thought that the Airbnb focus on a portrait photo was a bit odd for an inclusive platform in a market that has very strict laws concerning housing fairness.

I think the issue is more security..people ising fake accounts and other people's profiles thus limiting accountability.

I've told this story many times but I will tell it again. Had a guest book on my boat that I live on. Airbnb cancelled them out of the blue and kicked them off the website citing security reasons/background check. Her boyfriend rebooked it a day or so later and since there was a festival going on I didnt think anything of it. They showed up at my place, my dog ran to greet them and I stopped cold. I only recognized HER because of a profile.photo. I called airbnb and they told me.not to let them.in. I didnt but didnt get much sleep.that night. 

Flowers, an aviatar and a dog dont cut it.

Valerie283
Level 3
Katoomba, Australia

It is difficult for airbnb we suppose.  They can't even be sure if the photo put up is a portrait or a portrait of the person intended.  Some even put up a photo of scenery or a plant.  They could always replace the photo later with something else of which there is no control from airbnb.

We always make sure a reasonably clear portrait photo is on their profile before we consider accepting their bookings for we don't take instant booking though it might slow down potential bookings.  Having done this doesn't guarantee much but we try our best to minimize the risk.

Airbnb can only identify probably unwelcome guests if the guests have already done something not appropriate.  They wouldn't be able to detect those who are going to commit something not nice the first time.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Valerie283   You do realize that your own profile photo does nothing as far as making you recognizable, yes?

It might as well be a photo of flowers. Seems like if you expect to see a clear photo of a guest's face, they should be able to expect the same of the host.

We don't mind at all if the prospective guests are not interested in our offer because of our profile photo. Both parties have to be agreeable in order to achieve a deal.

Having said that we had accepted booking of a guest whose profile photo was only a silhouette. We usually have our gut feeling and make "informed" decision based on what the potential guests tell us about themselves as well. Sometimes a chat over the phone is justifiable before acceptance of booking.

We need to be sure of anyone at the door before we would open and let them in.  They have our address and they would certainly come to the right place.

@Valerie283how can You have a chat over the phone with a potential guest when airbnb ist blocking phonenumbers through their messaging system?

When they request to book, their phone number is available on their profile I suppose.

We don't remember for sure if they called or we called in that instance.

Stephanie365
Level 10
Fredericksburg, VA

I have it in my listing that profiles must match Gov't IDs and that selfies must be a current photo of the guest.

I had a couple who were new to AirBNB send a request and they had a photo of a baby for their selfie. I politely reminded them that AirBNB requires a current selfie for our mutual safety and to please fix this so I could accept their reservation request. They quickly complied.  

Try asking them to upload a selfie and nicely state it is per AirBNB rules for everyone's safety yadda yadda.  If they don't comply or respond, cancel the reservation because of safety concerns.

Thanks @Stephanie365 for the input.

So far we've found genuine guests would cooperate and upload their photos when we asked. We told them we needed to be sure of anyone at the door before we would open and let them in.

If they refuse we definitely would not proceed with the booking. There shouldn't be problem of doing so if they are genuine.

Larisa4
Level 9
Washington, DC

Personally I don't care about a photo since it's useless as verification.  But it incenses me that Airbnb will not require that the account name match the ID that they "verified". I had a recent guest that used the name of his pets as first and last name (and yes, he was "Airbnb verified"). I can see it now, I call the police to report that my apartment has been cleared out and when they ask for the name of the guest I say "I dunno, but I know what his cats' names are."

I do have in my listing that I require full name, home address, and email address before I will provide access to the property.

Hi @Larisa4,

We are sorry to hear that your apartment had been cleared out.

Actually we can't imagine how airbnb can verify the ID for sure without sighting the document in person apart from verifying the phone number. They want to run the business only on the Internet to minimize the cost. We can never be sure if the situation changes after verification either.

How can one be sure they give you the real name and real address even if they purportedly do so? Have you had any luck with this?