guests

Sean375
Level 3
Jersey City, NJ

guests

There is a growing custom among younger guests who choose to sleep on the blankets,spreads etc rather than in the bed between the sheets(and then complain of the cold). Of course cleaning blankets and costly bedspreads is more difficult and expensive than cleaning sheets.

Additionally,Guests are booking one adult in one of my single rooms,(I do have a double room as well) and showing up with 2 adults. The double room is only $10 more and they either won't take it or it has been booked by another. I don't wish to turn them away,but don't like being taken advantage of nor do iI want a broken bed on my hands.

Suggestions ? thanks, Sean.

6 Replies 6
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

How odd indeed. Maybe it's a US thing.

Why not replace your top sheets and blankets with a duvet to avoid this problem @Sean375 

The guests booking for one and showing up wth two is a simple thing to fix.

Put in your house rules that your single rooms accommodate one guest only and that if guests book for one but turn up with two guests, the second guest will not be allowed to stay, so if they want a room for two please book your double room

Confirm this through messaging to all single guests.

If you don't want to be taken advantage of - you need to stop letting these guests walk all over you and act in a firm, professional manner. Point out that it says clearly in your house rules, that the room is just for one and you followed this up with a direct message to them, yet they have turned up with two and you are confused as to why they have done this. If your double is available say if they want to have two stay need to move to the double and pay for the additional guest. If they don't want to do this, then only one of them can stay.

There is no reason for you to let two guests stay in a room for one.

I do hope you have been leaving honest reviews for the guests who have been doing this to warn future hosts who they may be booking with.

Thank you Helen .

Beth80
Level 10
State of Roraima, Brazil

@Sean375  I have noticed more guests not sleeping between the sheets. For now I wrap the top sheet around the pillows in such a way that if they want a pillow they will certainly notice the top sheet. But that doesn't work every time. For a while I was pointing out how I expected them to sleep, between the sheets. But that was a bit much. Now I've ordered duvets. I give up. 

As far as the extra guests are concerned, either get stronger about not allowing it or get a stronger bed. The extra stress you are being put through isn't worth it. 

Sean375
Level 3
Jersey City, NJ

Thanks so much Beth. I was wondering if turning the bed down for each guest might work.

@Sean375    Do you think that possibly they are too ********* to turn the bed down for themselves and just fall onto the bed and sleep.  Or could be they have a germ phobia of sheets. I know there was some hoopla! about hotel sheets being unwashed that amassed a hysterical following on a site that has a young demographic.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Sean375  I've never encountered that. I did have one European guest ask for clarification as to what she was supposed to sleep on and under, as, according to European hosts here on the forum, top sheets aren't really used in Europe- just a bottom sheet and duvet. I thought it was quite cute that she asked.

Maybe these young guests who are doing this are too stoned or have had too much to drink to bother doing anything but crashing out on top of everything?

Actually, when i check in to a hotel, the first thing I do is remove the bedspread and go wash my hands, as I've read hotels only wash bedspreads a few times a year 🙂 I trust the sheets way more than the bedspreads and blankets.

The way I make the bed in the guest room is I pull the top sheet up far enough that I can fold it down over the top of the blanket. And I don't use a bedspread at all. I think that makes it fairly obvious what the program is.