hosting bad guests for a long time

Lucilla14
Level 3
Genoa, Italy

hosting bad guests for a long time

Hi everyone!

I live in the house that I put on airbnb. I have two spare rooms with their own bathroom, so the guests have to share the bathroom. 

I now have one guest in one room and 3 guests in the other. 

I'm having a hard time with the 3 guests. They arrived more than 1 hour late without telling me or saying sorry for the delay. The first night they stood up until 11 p.m. Making a lot of noise in the kitchen (which is next to the other guest's room). The following day they woke up early and made so much noise that they woke up the other guest at 5 a.m.. Tonight they came back at 11 p.m., I asked them politely to keep it down (they wouldn't even close the kitchen door while making all sorts of noise there). They kept being very loud until 12.30 a.m., I am still awake because my room is next to the guests' bathroom and they kept going and flushing the toilet more than 10 times, and now I think one of them is in the bathtub (which I never thought of saying that the guests aren't allowed to use, it's kind of obvious since the amount of water and heat and the fact that the stopper is hidden away from the bathtub!), and it's 12.40 p.m! They are staying another 5 days, and my other guest is really pissed. What should I do? 

6 Replies 6
Rowena29
Level 10
Australia

Hi @Lucilla14 

Sorry to hear you are having a bad experience.

This was posted a few days ago so I'm not sure if you have sorted it out.

I'm not all that experienced and have not had this happen to me, but from reading other threads, I would suggest that you contact customer service.

You are a superhost so you should get good attention.

If you explain that the guests are making you feel uncomfortable, I believe you have the right to cancel the booking.

I imagine airbnb will reach out to them and make contact first  - give them the option to improve their behaviour, but I think you CAN insist you just want them gone. It's your house - you do not have to put up with behaviour that you find unacceptable.

YOu will have to refund them the unstayed nights. They may leave a bad review  - but at least it won't be 2 bad reviews - which you might get if your other guest continues to be inconvenienced.   If they do leave a bad review you can add a comment beneath qualifying what happened - bearing in mind it will be read by future guests 

In your review of them make sure you let other hosts know about their behaviour, in clear factual statements (eg they ignored the quiet time rules, made a great deal of noise, disturbing myself and the other guests even when politely requested not to. I would not recommend these guests... and a thumbs down).  

Hope that's os some help

cheers

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

What sort of house rules do you have around use of the kitchen and bathroom @Lucilla14 and what are your listed quiet hours?

Please follow up your requests to your guests on Airbnb messaging,  reiterate that it is a shared space and their late night/early morning noise is affecting your other guests and yourself and that they need to respect your house rules (and then add these into the message) and that if it continues you will need to ask Airbnb to cancel their booking.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Lucilla14  When guests are behaving inappropriately, you need to talk to them about it right away and set them straight about what is expected in shared accomodations. If you can't do this, trying to host this kind of shared situation is going to be problematic for you. I don't agree that when guests are behaving disrespectfully, that a host should be contacting Airbnb and expecting them to deal with it. The first line of defense is to message the guests letting them know they are disturbing the entire household. Only if they ignore this and continue to act this way, do you involve Airbnb.

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

Hi @Lucilla14 

Without expressively stating what guests can and cannot do unfortunately this is one of those situations where you need to 'wing' it as much as possible. The 3 probably don't feel they're being disruptive or any problem.

You do need to state your concerns to the party of 3. As @Helen3 says "follow up your requests to your guests on Airbnb messaging" too

If your House Rules don't already accomodate these transgressions, you have learned that you might need to update them, having two sets of guests in one accomodation can cause issues.

Your bathtub. Do you state that guest can't use it? "I never thought of saying that the guests aren't allowed to use, it's kind of obvious since the amount of water and heat and the fact that the stopper is hidden away from the bathtub!" OBVIOUS ??! Why and how do guests ever care how much water and heat they use? If they can't find the stopper - it will be in the review "...and the bath didn't even have a stopper."

How friendly are you with your single guest? I might suggest 'popping out' together for a shared meal and make lightly of the other 3 guests, this only to protect your review from that one guest which could be disparaging because of the events you mentioned.

Good luck.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Lucilla14  I would definitely try to make this up to the single guest who has been impacted. A nice "So sorry" card, along with a bottle of wine, or like @Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 suggested, invite him/her out for dinner. I think it's always better to be honest with a guest, rather than just hope that they won't review badly- saying how you're fairly new to this, that you've never had disrespectful guests like this before and were uncertain how to handle it, but realize in retrospect that you should have nipped it in the bud, could go a long way towards understanding on the part of the nice guest who also has had to put up with these self-absorbed guests.

And here's the message I would have sent to the noisy guests " I don't understand why you completely ignored my polite request at 11PM for you to keep the noise level down. It is now 12:40AM and neither I nor my other guest have been able to sleep due to your noisy behavior. If you can't show respect for the late hour and a shared home situation, I will be forced to contact Airbnb first thing in the morning to cancel the remainder of your booking, although I would, of course, prefer that you complied with house rules and basic manners than inconvenience you with having to find another place to stay on short notice."

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Lucilla14 

Ask Your single guest to call airbnb and complain about the party of 3.

Give Your single guest the bookin number of the party guests.