security deposit dose not have your back

Mike225
Level 2
Alexandria, VA

security deposit dose not have your back

So had a guest who said he was coming in with one guest. He showed up with multiple guests, i explained he must pay for each guest. he told me he would , after i let him into the house he said he would not. I called airbnb and open a ticket to explain what was going on. His extra charge was 180, they told me they would call him and take care of it. Two days later nothing. He checks out. I assumed the deposit would cover me on this. As i got into the house it was a total mess, he smoked weed, old smoked joints all over, place was a mess, i looked his his profile closer he had a one star, why dose airbnb even let a one star person into my home. Very pissed now i call support, i find out the deposit only coveres damages, he did damage stuff all things i can fix, pain messed up on wall and scratch my coffee table, after hours wasted on this i just did not want to deal with this. I told them i should be able to get the 180 more for the guest and be done with it. They told me no. 

No my warning to all host, the deposit will not protect you much, only damaged, not a guest who says they will pay for something even if they do it in writing like he did , they will not honor this with the deposit. Very disappointing. 

2 Replies 2

@Mike225

Ensure you do an accurate,honest review for the guest. 

There is no desposit. Airbnb does not actually take any deposit. Airbnb just uses that figures in discussion with a guest to see if they can reclaim anything after discussion with the guests. In other words they only take any money from the guests once they have the guest authorization.

Your guests had no intention of giving that. They knew the system and worked it to their benefit. 

"i looked his his profile closer he had a one star, why does airbnb even let a one star person into my home."

Aibnb seems to think guests will improve .....always check the guest reviews first and look for alarm bells....dont assume Airbnb will research what guest behaviour is going to be...

Ask for full names of all adult guests...even ask for ID copies before you let them in if necessary.

Dont let anyone in before they have paid....no pay..no stay...

and be careful for anyone who wants an extra night ...they often dont pay for it...

Claudiu-Nicolae0
Level 10
Barcelona, Spain

Unfortunately, many guests try to cheat the hosts in this way. And Airbnb can do nothing about it,  if the guests are not willing to pay (and there is no deposit, that covers such situations).

What any host can do without help from AirBnb support:

1) Never allow unpaid guests enter your home until the payment issue is resolved. Of course, the number of people, who paid their stay, can enter.

2) Send money request to the guests through AirBnb and wait until it is accepted. Don't forget to mention in AirBnb messages the concept of the money request.

3) If the guests are aggressive, call the police.

Of course, you should report the problem to Airbnb anyway, just in case.