self check in

Jenny188
Level 2
Northampton, MA

self check in

I'm trying to keep my listing marked as Business ready by having the check-in process meet the parameters, but the options listed seem restrictive and don't match our reality.  We live in a safe neighborhood, so the door is unlocked for guests with keys on the counter.  What option best fits this?  Can another option be added?  The current choices are Smart lock, Keypad, Lockbox, and Doorman. I don't want to create a misleading situation, but the check-in is clearly appropriate for biz friendly status as self check-in is clearly part of our operation.  It's frustrating.  Any suggestions would be welcome!

11 Replies 11
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Jenny188  I assume you have ready the Help Center article about Business Ready:  

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1185/what-makes-a-listing-business-travel-ready

My understanding is that when you meet all the criteria, the system automatically provides the business ready badge.  What I noticed on your listing is that your check in is not 24 hours and that is a requirement.  So if your process of leaving the door unlocked and keys inside cannot be used 24/7, then you would not be qualified.  Make sense?

Hi Linda, 

Thanks for taking the time to respond!  I've read the article you linked to, but it didn't say anywhere in there anything about 24 hour check-in.  Where did you get that information?  

It does say that one must offer a "self check-in" option, which is what I was asking about.  Which of the four options do you think we ought to choose in order to offer self check-in?  Personally, I think Airbnb ought to offer a fifth option, something like "Other" for situations that don't fit into their little boxes.  

Looking forward to your reply!

@Jenny188  Perhaps flexible check in is needed since that is an option not 24 hour check in.  I read more of the discussion threads on this site about check in and the self check in is meant to alleviate the business traveler from having to coordinate with the host about arrival time.  Rather than leaving the keys on the counter and the door unlocked, perhaps your best option is the lockbox.  That way, when you are dealing with non-business travelers, you can continue your usual check in system.

@Jenny188 to allow for "24/7" or "flexible" check-in time, I bought a lockbox from Amazon for about $25.  I attached it to the siding, and I leave the key in there, and then send the guest the code to get in to the key in their "check-in details" email.  Super simple and cheap!

The one thing that bugs me about "business traveler ready" is that I cannot have animals on my property.  I have a dog and a cat, but my apartment I rent is completely separate from the Airbnb apartment...so the animal would never bother the "business traveler"...that irks me!

@Zoe34, if the animals are not in the apartment or any common areas the guests occupy, I think you are justified in saying there are no animals on site.

Would you have to say you have animals on site if the neighbor had a dog that sometimes crosses into your yard?

Hi Linda, thanks for your ideas.  Does Airbnb let hosts know when the traveler is booking as a business customer?  If so, what you say makes a lot of sense!

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Jenny188 Maybe I've lived in the city too long but I wouldn't like showing up to a "hey, we just leave it unlocked for you" listing... 

just a different take

I'm in the same boat with you Jenny! We have a guest house in our backyard. We typically leave the door unlocked right before our guests arrive. It eliminates worry of the lock not working, etc. But the house is safely in our backyard. We are wondering about the self-check in option as well which is how I happned upon your question. Not sure if you found a suitable solution yet?

Hi Angilla & Jonathan, 

Unfortunately, no, we've not found a perfect solution.  I think we'll have to just pick one of the options and fudge the details.  Perhaps we'll just say that we have a lock box, and then just leave the key inside anyway and tell them where the key is (just like we do now). 

Let us know if you think of something different!

Jenny 

Jasmin40
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Hi guys! I don't know if my experience can help but I found the self check-in quite useful.. especially when guests are arriving at 2am and their planes are delayed. I currently use Vikey- basically the guest can get in an out of the apartment with an app. I also found I got more customers with the self check-in functionality. But maybe its just a case. I have to say a few seemed like they would have preferred a face-to-face contact for the check-in but it seems to me like my life is so much easier this way and a lot of people like it! Good luck!

Vincenzo-S1
Level 1
New Jersey, United States

The listing of self checkin with a doorman is deceptive. I can't believe airbnb allows this to be listed as self check in. Self implies SELF