Airbnb tells guests that are cancelling that the host can choose to give them a full refund

Answered!
Julie732
Level 5
St Paul, MN

Airbnb tells guests that are cancelling that the host can choose to give them a full refund

Recently I ran into an issue with Airbnb support telling a guest that was cancelling the same day that they were supposed to be checking in, that they couldn’t give them a full refund, but that I could if I wanted to. There were no extenuating circumstances, they just found a free place to stay. I found this incredibly inappropriate and off-putting.

In my view, Airbnb has three cancellation policies that hosts can choose from and if a guest cancels, Airbnb support should not be doing anything more than reiterating the designated policy to the guest. When they say things like, “well, I can’t but if you reach out to your host maybe they will be understanding and let you cancel without a penalty,” it just puts the host in a bad position. After checking with my local community it seems that Airbnb is doing this as a common practice which is really deplorable.

Airbnb keeps the booking fee so it’s no skin off their back if a guest gets a full refund from the host since if just leads to a happy guest at the host’s expense. I am not so sure I like being a host much anymore. 

Top Answer

Hiya @Helen427 ,

Thanks so much for reaching out. Because you have chosen the Flexible cancellation policy, this is in line with the parameters laid out.

You could move to a different policy if you want to avoid this type of situation (although of course stricter policies might decrease your bookings).

I know this topic is a hot one amongst hosts, so I'm sure there are many hosts here that can share their experiences with the different policies available! Please refer to our documentation about the parameters of the different options here, too: Cancellation Policies

Thanks,

Laura

--------------------

Lead, Airbnb Core Hosts & Community

Here's my Community Spotlight!

What are your favorite notes from your guests?

View Top Answer in original post

82 Replies 82
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Airbnb are not allowed to do this without speaking to you first @Nico0

I would contact them publicly on their social media and say they refunded a guest who chose not to stay with you, who submitted photos of a building that wasn't yours, and that they never checked with you before choosing to issue the refund.

I can understanding you completely.  Though I did NOT have the same problem, but the VERY POOR customer service is very typical responses I get.  You have to call again for a more knowledgeable or better English speaker agent to help you.   You have to speak very slow & annunciate each word clear & some time they don't understand you.

Lisa391
Level 3
Asheville, NC

I've had similar over the course of several years.  I've also had other issues in which I was put in the middle.  I've also had a situation where they gave the guest a full refund and paid me..... and though that was good for me to get paid, it appeared to the guest as if Airbnb took the fall for my inflexibility and I again looked bad.  They canceled because the twisted my wording in my listing and talked Airbnb into letting them book another space. 

I feel like a lone fish in the lake b/c other hosts just feel as if we as hosts should "just let it go" and take the damaged property or cancellation issue and pocket the loss and not make waves.  I feel that may keep the peace now, it creates the massive issue we have now where hosts are expected to bend backward. 

Lots of work Airbnb has to do before they are host friendly.... and not just working for the guest's benefits.  I've spoken to Airbnb about this.... it will only help if other hosts speak up also.  Thanks for being brave enough to post this. 

Beth80
Level 10
State of Roraima, Brazil

The customer service being provided just keeps getting worse and worse. 

Any questions concerning cancellations and money I tell the guests that they have to handle it and I don't actually deal with money, it's all virtual, their card to Airbnb to my bank eventually, but that it takes several days.

It's very unfair that abnb keeps their fees and continually throws the host under the bus.

I like @Anonymous  response of reminding them they agreed upon a contract.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Julie732 @Lisa391  It's unconscionable that Airbnb doesn't support the cancellation policy chosen by the host.  How awful that they would unilaterally refund the guest without your permission.

Many hosts stand up to them on this issue.  I made a recent post about it and you'll see lots of superhosts absolutely in agreement with us.  https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Those-pesky-cancellation-policies/td-p/1032262

Alice595
Level 10
Concord, CA

@Julie732I encountered the same. A guest canceled her booking because one of the people in her group wanted to stay in hotel instead. She canceled more than one week after she booked. She wanted the full refund while I have a strict cancellation policy. Airbnb called me representing her and asked me to provide full refund. I told Airbnb CS that I adopted cancellation policy set up by Airbnb and please do not break your own rules.

Nico163
Level 2
Buenos Aires, Argentina

Customer service keeps getting Worse... thats my conclusion really. 

The agent that took my case still couln't close it casue i am not allowing it. 

Asked for a supervisor... this happened week and 1/2 ago.. still waiting for a call.

We, hosts, need to talk with people that can make decisions... I feel we know more about this company than the people behind the phone that are suppossed to help. They are just making things worse. 

I am very dissappointed and wish I could just call this "Resolution Center" department.. They just leave you hanging.

Thomas1033
Level 10
North Tonawanda, NY

@Nico163  Someone posted about their success with arbitration since Airbnb agreed to pay the costs and it starts at $1000.  Certainly worth a shot.  Btw had a similar experience see my post “happening right now”.  The conclusion to my post is just yesterday the guest canceled and my dates are opened up, the price raised and we’re guaranteed half the money they owed us at this point.  I did not let Airbnb BULLY me!

@Thomas1033  That is the worst.  I'm glad it got resolved and that you stuck to your guns!  Post an update to your original thread.  We need to give other hosts the chance to grow a backbone.  🙂

Happened to me as well and it was a long term stay with a very clear cancellation policy. I told Airbnb that they put me in a non-win situation. The guest got angry and wrote a bad review detailing everything under the sun that they were unhappy with.  I had to spend a lot of time discussing this with Airbnb for them to eventually remove the unjustified review. Airbnb needs to adhere to their own cancellation policy that all parties have agreed to. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

I think VRBO has an option for guests to purchase travel insurance for 10€ ( correct me if I am wrong)

I wish Airbnb have one too and stop bullying hosts for a refund.

Jen305
Level 2
Dartmouth, MA

I agree if you have a strict policy against cancellations and the guest had no urgent reason to cancel than Airbnb should have stood behind you. Instead of telling the guests to contact you, they should have said I’m sorry but the host has a strict return policy that does not allow refunds. 

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

When it comes to leases in California, when someone breaks a lease they are refunded only to the extend that damages can be mitigated (by renting to someone else). Transient occupancy is obviously different. But if ever you wanted to be very reasonable, that's maybe the policy that you might consider. Personally, during the summer tourist season I have NO PROBLEM refilling vacancies when people cancel, although I've never had anyone cancel less than 5 days out or so. I have the most relaxed refund policy (24 hours) so this issue has never come into play.

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Julie732 

Now do you understand hosts are just cannon-fodder to Airbnb

self-employed LOL

wake up hosts Airbnb are riding us hard because they just don’t care.

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

By actively encouraging guests to go back to hosts for refunds where none are due, Airbnb puts the host in a hugely awkward, uncomfortable, disadvantaged position, and stirs up untold amounts of unnecessary bad blood and ill-feeling  between hosts and guests. It really is an unethical,  unconscionable practice. And short-sighted beyond bellef. 

But Airbnb are even going one better than that now, and arbitrarily gifting refunds to guests, from hosts' money, without host consent, and without the guest ever having even requested a refund in the first place... the "violation of the Hosting Standards" btw, was that the aircon was portable units, rather than fixed. 

Screenshot_20190606-183117.png