Avoiding the Foreign Transaction Fee

Terrence0
Level 10
Mount Prospect, IL

Avoiding the Foreign Transaction Fee

I have a suggestion for Airbnb.  Currently, they have a very inefficient policy that they pass off onto the traveler.

I have a credit card that doesn't charge foreign transaction fees (like many other avid travelers) - my bank covers these fees for me.  Airbnb charges foreign transaction fees to book based on location - in fact, if you are booking and you switch the currency to the local currency of the listing, you will see a 3% lower cost (the foreign transaction fee cost) than if you look at it in another currency.  For my last 2 trips I have attempted to pay in the local currency (for example, if I am travelling to France, I will try to pay in Euros), but Airbnb will not let me do this.  Instead, they force me to pay in US dollars because I live in the US (even though I want to and have tried to pay in Euros), then they take my US dollars, convert them to Euros themselves, charge me a 3% fee (which my bank would have done for me for free!), and then pay the host in Euros.  This is dumb and inefficient - even worse, they pass this inefficiency off on me.  Give customers the option to pay in the currency of their choosing.

228 Replies 228

I use Airnbn very regularly and often change my mind on bookings. I like the fact that the price I pay will be the price refunded regardless of currency fluctuations! I also use Booking.com and have lost ££'s when cancelling and local currency was less beneficial than the amount I originally paid.  Take the rough with the smooth!

Why is there an international fee if your booking is USA and you live in USA.WTF

April 2022

AIRBNB doesn't make you aware during your booking

Arturas5
Level 2
Åmotfors, Sweden

Hi, if you want to avoid currency exchange fees just open Revolut bank account, you will get 0% exchange fees when paying in other currency's, free debit card, free cash withdrawals etc.

I using Revolut for years now, doesn't cost anything and is very handy when traveling, other people use it as a main bank also.

Use my link on sign up and I will share half of the referee bonus , so 30eur for you 

https://revolut.com/referral/arturalm!AUG1-22-AR-H1 

Happy day's 

Charlotte1068
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

I've found this as well. I paid for a UK trip, with my UK bank account, and was charged in Euros then charged a foreign currency conversion fee? Seems a very weird way to get extra money!