Can't help feeling despondent at times as a host

Answered!
Isabelle3
Level 5
Leura, Australia

Can't help feeling despondent at times as a host

Feeling slightly low after a very ordinary guest review when I went well above expectations, offering my best 25 years australian wine, lending best books, cooking, laundering, showering kids with gifts.... Yey amongst all my 5 stars ratings these the guests gave me 4 stars.  

You think you've made friends but it's fleeting and this experience pulls me down.  There is no pleasing some people and I feel this rating particularly harsh in the circumstances.  Sorry, I know I probably invest too much emotionally and pride wise.  🙂 for me it's much more than business, I give it my all.  

Does anyone else feel the sting of unfairness at times?  Ratings are all very well but so subjectives

1 Best Answer
Fiona41
Level 2
Sydney, Australia

I just stumbled across this post looking for something else and I have to say that I am stunned that your listing could have received a less than perfect review!  Inexplicable!  La Maison Bleue looks fabulous!  There appear to be quality furnishings, the decor looks very tasteful, the accommodation spacious and light and airy, the location seems to be excellent, the price very good value & you seem to be the perfect hostess reading many of the reviews!  I simply can't imagine why a guest would have given you a bad review!  I hope you managed to get it removed!  Perhaps it was a slip of their fingers, or they didn't fully understand the rating system????  Whatever the case, I would LOVE to stay there and wouldn't be put off by one less than happy review/guest out of numerous other very satisfied guests!  All the best with your health issues and future hosting!  Warm wishes, Fiona

View Best Answer in original post

123 Replies 123
Raffaele-and-Astrid0
Level 10
Coogee, Australia

Hi Isabelle,
when it happens that the guest give to you a low rating, in a very gentle way, ask why, ask them for a feedback outside the official review, if they want to help you, you can understand the reason and where it was your mistake about that specific point.
that can help you to understand better how the pepole looking your house. 
Happened to me a few time, and I've always recived an explanation about the low rating, and that helped for make a little change and avoid the problem with the future guests. for us it worked, try it. 😉

I hope you the best.
Cheers Raffaele

Heidi4
Level 2
Culver City, CA

This just happened to me as well.  After nothing but 5 star reviews, I received 2 4-star reviews in a row!  And they both happened to be from guests for whom I had done the most extra work.   Both took me completely by surprise because in their communications to me, they were really friendly and in one case they kept telling me how happy there were!  

One guest I think just didn't like the place, and left a few private comments.  He suggested I get chains on the doors (like a hotel), rugs on the floors and suit case stands.  He even left a lot of clothes behind in the closet which I packed up and sent to him (he reimbursed me for the postage).  Ok.  But, the second guest I have NO clue why they only left 4 stars.  They broke the coffee pot (hey, it happens) and I had to call a plumber for something that I thought could have happened to anyone, so I didn't charge them.  And the plumber showed up 10 minutes after they told me about the issue!  And they were very grateful, but still they only left 4 stars. 

I'm still new to hosting and have found everyone's replies to the post really helpful.  This happens to every host, and you just keep doing your best (within reason) and over time you will mostly have great reviews.  You can't please all of the people all of the time!  

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

Hi @Heidi4,

You can't pick them, you can't see them coming.....Some will tolerate no end of trouble and still give you a 5 star review....others will ping you for anything. I had one guest, who although I list my cottage as NOT having a kitchen, but I do provide in the cottage...... cupboards, electric hotplate, Kettle, toaster, sink, all crockery and cutlery, fridge and a fair amount of food, still expressed dissapointment there was not an oven or a dishwasher for their use! And based on that, what do you think they pinged me a 4 star rating on.....'Description accuracy' would you believe!!!

But Heidi, reading all the issues with guests perception, one thing absolutely stands out plain as plain! An absolutely overwhelming number of complaints come from guests who have minimal 'face to face' contact with the host. I think a lot of hosts who 'host from afar' give the guest the impression that they were not important enough to warrant a handshake...that personal contact, and Heidi, this after all a 'Hosting' site, and that is what the bulk of guests want! Otherwise they would stay in a hotel! They possibly feel a bit let down and this is their way of letting the host know.

I am always on hand throughout the guests stay, they in the cottage and me in the house. I am not in their face but when I give them a hug and a handshake when they depart, virtually always I know I am going to get a straight up 5 star review.

Cheers, have a great year Heidi, and don't let that odd 'dent' in that review bubble get to you......Rob

Hi @Yen-and-Robin0,

Thanks for the post. Those are great words of advice.  I appreciate it, especially the wisdom about the personal touch aspect of hosting.  Thanks again!

@Robin4  I have to disagree about the 'host from afar' part.  I am always in the house when I have guests and a number of guests where deeply disappointed when they arrived to found out that I live in my home. Some even thought... book a room, and get the entire appartment. They have the room they booked, but also a comfortable large sitting room for themselves, as I have another private sitting room for myself. But guests (most of the times) are also free to sit with me in my sitting room if they wish for my company. 

Hand shakes or hugs doesn't mean a thing. Guests can smile in your face, saying that it was great and still give you a louzy review or lower stars. I had 5-stars ratings for everything, and still got a 4-star for value. There is just no way to beat this. Sometimes it's says more about the guests than about the host or the accommodation. 

Hi again @Maryam-Al-Fakheer0 You may possibly be right Maryam but I am going by my experience, and that of many of the people who post on this forum. Mayam.....there is no blanket rule and you have to do what you are most comfortable with and, what gets you the best results.

I am new to this, having only been a host for 6 months but, in that time I have built up a review list that is the envy of the hosting community. Some of them are going into paragraphs of praise.....so I won't change! For me the personal touch has achieved wonderful things. It has headed off possible complaints because, I am only a door knock away. Hopefully this time tomorow I will have my 'Superhost' status, and if that does happen....all in the space of 6 months, I think that will tell me that this is the way to do it....

Cheers Maryam, and look after those lovcely properties of yours.....Rob

Great war stories, but keep your chin up.

The value rating just does my head in, provided your pictures and amenities line up to what is advertised that should not be an issue. How can people complain about value if they booked knowing the price? I agree with the accuracy rating.

For those that go beyond, don't. As mentioned earlier, greet them with a smile, have a prepared handbook that has house and local tips and how to get around and go beyond by providing a bit of fruit and milk etc. I don't understand providing local wine, scotch, free rides etc - That is where you can blur their expectations, what if they think the wine provided in cheap? That will go towards your value rating.

Also, take on board the 'this is missing' feedback - I think that is great feedback, I did that and filled kitchen with cheap (not expensive) utensils that were missing. Just fill your place with things a travelling guest would need, not expensive luxuries – this creates an expectation gap.

But (and probably a topic for another day) I think Air BnB needs to be really careful about big corporation operating. In Melbourne, Australia I see a flood of cheap (I mean really cheap, for what is on offer – great value - doing a quick PL they have to be running a loss currently) apartments – many in same building and managed by same company. I see they are undercutting local Air Bnb Hosts, fill bookings and get 100’s of ratings and top search response and then over time they will collude and raise prices (I see Airb Bnb love low pricing, with pricing tips so this is music to their ears), pushing out the single/double sight hosts.

You can say that is business sure, but reading forums like this, clear to see a swath of hosts exiting the platform.

Monika2
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Yes, I lost my superhost status and a reduction in guests after two young women posted bad reviews.  The first wanted to use my washing machine EVERYDAY to wash one set of underwear and a light summer dress, when I refused on environmental grounds, she declared in Singapore her clothes were washed everyday as she took them off!  This was a very fashionable young woman with a suitcase of clothes.  The second bad posting was from an absoute nightmare guest, she was keen to establish there was no need for directions to the flat as she was studying here but then got lost, arrived for a 7 day stay with a gigantic rutsack and a suitcase, then the next three days would bring more suitcases and a large cardboard box.  Locked her bedroom door, which was fine, but lost her room key on a Saturday night when I was away.  One phone call at 10.30pm to say she was in the flat but not in her room so I didn't think it urgent to rush home.  When I arrive at at 12.45pm she was instructing a man withn a toolbok into my flat with the intention of drilling my lock.  Somehow she did not think it necessary to tell me or get my premission.  She was upset that I was angry and took snaps on my phone of the locksmith which she had found at that time on the internet.  Since her review my guest list has tapered off with many views but no bookings.  So after three years of lovely, funny, interesting guests with many planning a return and several invites to there home, two poor reviews from unrealistic guests has damaged what was until then a positive and shared experience.

@Monika2, so sorry for you that you had two guests in a row leaving dreadful reviews. Or better: I feel with you, I had that over the holidays too, but some nice since. 

I don't think that the bookings suffered because of that, rather that you are another vicitim of "the black hole", periods with nearly no views and bookings, which seem to happen since October to many hosts from time to time for shorter or longer periods. Even to superhosts with no recent dumpings. My average revenue on the room listing since October is 2/3 of what is was before, whilst I should have had no less guests with all the professional travelers in autumn / winter. 

There are some crazy persons out there, loosing keys and breaking down a door. I had mine saved by a neighbor, who called me whilst taking the guest in. He gave her internet access (mine would pass into the courtyard too) but she did not contact me. I got a friend there, but her own partner had already returned. The reason of that urgency? She did not want to get her dog wet. 

Since then, I have it in the full house terms / contract that guests are not allowed to call any craftsman for whatever urgency whitout my permission. 

For the shared space, I have keys in a bistro, and with friends. Needed that three or four times since last Summer. 

Maybe you will need a code lock on the bedroom door if people loose that key 😉

@Robin4, my notifications were switched back to default No Notifications, I only see your posts today. I love the opossom story plus joke. Have to tell that to my sister. Her first husband had an uncle who was a priest, whole family very holy. She is not (you should do a complete background check before falling in love, but she had not) When they had a big celebration of his 50 years jubilee as a catholic priest, my sister landed in a hospital, 50 miles over country roads, all sirens hurling. In the end it was no early heart attack at 25 years old but only a panick attack. - A bit of swinging of holy smoke and sprinkling of holy water does not only drive oppossums away. 😉

@Maryam-Al-Fakheer0, I get a lot of guests who choose a shared room to have some handholding in case of need, single women who lost a partner and fear to be alone, single men who want a female (motherly) presence in the house, young folk on their first trip. Those that are honest to themselves about it, or even tell me, are usually very grateful, also in reviews. 

I get a few also who book cheap and hope for extras, but my place is not the absolutely cheapest. It is cheap for the service.

Maybe a private room is more attractive to people who do not want to pay a hotel, but want to get the service plus extras. A shared room is a different experience, so maybe the guest who want maximum benefits on minimum price hesitate at that. 

But the most demanding guests, who think it is normal to can dispose of company and ressources without giving back a thing, still give bad star evaluation (not the written text) 

Monika2
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Thanks Helga for info on general low take up since October, this is a new experience for me as before this incident reservations were fully booked unless I manually blocked days off.  Fortunately in the past I have had some wonderful guests with some becoming friends who correspond or visit with other family members/friends even when not staying as a guest.  These are the experiences I want to hold on to as a host.

@Monika, we seldom get guests at all from early November until May, but people don't generally travel for fun in North Dakota in the winter.   

It's interesting how the most high maintenance or "entitled" guests are the ones that deliver the lowest ratings.  I've recently gotten 2 four stars ratings in a couple of categories, after a run of 100% 5 star ratings.  What is up with guests who compliment the property on its location in the written review then give the location a four star rating?  And I can argue the question of value and ratings reflecting that very subjective category until I'm blue in the face...it really boils down to whether the guests get the sharing economy philosophy or not. People who stay at our property have an opportunity to stay in two unique cottages with a lovely courtyard between them. Yep, it's at the upper edge of the price point for our area, but it sleeps 6!  I don't know of any similar setup here in the historic district, and most guests appreciate what sets our cottages apart from other vacation rentals, let alone hotels.  It's not a hotel!  But of course they either they get it or they don't, and if they don't, ratings suffer.  I can do my best to ensure that every possible need is anticipated, but when guests are super-demanding, they are probably not a good fit for a 155 year old property with its share of quirks.  I get a little bit upset, of course, when I don't get 5 stars, but am learning to just move on from the disappointment or I won't last too long at this.  Oh, yeah, the guy who dinged me on "accuracy" felt he wasn't getting enough attention when I didn't answer umpteen questions on what to do and where to go here in Savannah, since I say in my listing that I am happy to steer people to the good stuff.  Why wasn't I available to answer his many questions?  Because I was frantically cleaning to accommodate his last minute reservation. He and his entire family had spent the night before in an Airbnb property in Charleston with no power or water due to the floods, and I bent over backwards to be ready to welcome him to Savannah within the time frame he needed. No good deed goes unpunished.  

@Ann3, I had a guest coming by train, staying the night and flying out on a plane, the inverse on her return trip 10 days later, another night. She had started hosting, we socialized, I explained a bit how to set up two listings for her two rooms etc. 

After the second night, the first rating came in, she had given me twice 3 stars, twice 4. One of the 3 stars was on location, she was in walking distance from the station and the airport shuttle bus. To avoid a second dumpng, I askded why she did that as the written review was short (most write novels for me) but not bad. She said she did not want to be as ridiculous as the jurors of a kid's song contest she had seen on tv, who gave every kid 10/10. So she did not wish to give all 5 stars. I read it several times, I showed it to French native speakers, it does not make sense. 

I explained in detail how stars work on airbnb, as she is a host now herself, I got a nicer review, 5 stars on global and no other star at at all. 

In between those two nights, I had a young American student, booking last minute including the Sylvester night, where it is very hard to get short term bookings, harder still at low prices. I gave her the normal price, stayed up to 1:30 am for her, she mentioned that in a review, which started nice and ended how her head was in danger as she is tall (that alone is no problem but very overweight, drunk and tall is). To top it off she gave me 3 stars on value and 2 four stars for other categories she had lauded in her review. 

The next one was a repeat guest, on IB, I was invited that night and to do her a favour, I took my parrot with me, leaving her access to the whole apartment, tv and computer in my room, cleaning my room especially for her, all that for 40 Euros. She gave me 4 on global and value. Just paid my electricity for two winter months: it's close to 6 Euros a day...

With people like that, I don't see what I could do more or explain more to get a reasonable evaluation. It's just frustrating. 

@Soni-and-Jon0 how do you know that only Global value counts? I thought all star count. Do you have a link to that?

@Helga0, I can completely relate.  Sometimes it seems like the harder we work at pleasing people, the more it backfires.  I already ask them if they have read the house rules, etc., but I keep wondering if what I really need to ask is if they understand the sharing economy. Honestly, I think the last guests were most unhappy with the fact that the internet was slower than they were used to.  Alas, we only have two providers available in our neighborhood, and neither one is worth a **bleep**.  First world problem, and one I can't do anything about.  The verbal review was glowing.  Pity about the stars.  I am growing a thicker skin as we speak.  

Kelly3
Level 10
Seoul, South Korea

@Ann3 I completely agree. Airbnb is keep pushing hosts to go above and beyond to the guests, but we need to be careful about it. Some are just taking advantages of the host, and never able to be satisfied. I wonder how they are at hotels.....

I don't even expect them to understand the sharing economy - I wish they have common sense and a brain.