Damages, Theft and Verifying Guests

Answered!
Karen3489
Level 2
Tacoma, WA

Damages, Theft and Verifying Guests

I am a brand new host offering long-term stays of 28 days or more. I am feeling a little uneasy about what I have read here and elsewhere from other hosts about damage protection and theft. I am also uneasy that I personally do not know much about the guests in my house since there is no lease application, employment or credit check or reference check for past rentals.

I know AirBnB does a background check and verifies identity, yet I don't know how much that matters as literally every single scammer who has contacted me (at least 5 in the last few weeks) has been "verified."

I saw the Aircover page to fill out a form. I know there is a catch-all clause for wear and tear.  But if a guest accidentally breaks something (not just a wine glass) but say multiple things are damaged or a larger piece of furniture like the sofa or bed, artwork, or an appliance breaks, will Airbb actually reimburse for that? And if so, what is the process for making a claim?  What would I have to provide? Do I need close-up pictures of everything prior to damage to prove that it was in fact damaged?  For things that a photo will not provide evidence, like a broken garbage disposal, do I have to pay a handyman or something to come and give me a written estimate?

What if something is swiped/missing or multiple things. A friend had three toss pillows, two throws and an umbrella taken by his last tenants. While it may seem insignificant, when you add that all up it can easily by a couple hundred dollars. For me, since I am only looking to break even on my rental, that would put me in the red. Especially if it happens regularly with each stay.  Does anyone have any experience with theft in their rentals?

I got my first guest booking and they actually seem really awesome and legit so not worried about them at all, but just asking more for my general knowledge so I know what I am getting into and what to expect. Thanks to anyone who can offer insight from their own experiences. There are a lot of Super Hosts so I am guessing most of their hosting experiences have been successful and positive and  maybe I am just needlessly overthinking and worrying!

1 Best Answer
Jennifer1897
Level 10
Irvine, CA

Hi @Karen3489  Welcome to hosting. 

First and foremost, I am not sure where you read that Airbnb does background checks, because they do not. The only verification that is done is through the ID, which I believe is still optional. As far as the ID being a valid source of verification, there is a gray area, because we as host don't see the ID, and at times I have had guest book with obscure names such that are obviously just a moniker or nickname. For example, I had a guest book as "DJ Powers." I had to pry his actual name out of him, despite it saying he had a "Verified ID." 

I have hosted quite a few stays and made four claims through what is now known as Aircover. The best way to approach claims is to add photos if possible then provide verification of cost, whether it's just a generic quote online or an actual provider estimate.  I will give you an example. I had a couple smoke in the room. The drapes and throw pillows all had to be professionally cleaned. Obviously, this is something you can't provide photo evidence for.  What I did was I found a local dry cleaner and generated a quote on their site. I then took a screenshot and uploaded it to my claim.  I have done this a couple where the damage was not something tangible per say.  As far as before and after photos, I have never been asked to provide before photos showing the item was in good condition, but I do think it is wise to have photos of all areas of your accommodation, in the event a guest denies damage or the support team asks for further photos. 

As far as theft goes, you really have to pick your battles. Smaller items being lost or taken are generally seen as part of the business. I wouldn't be chasing down a towel or umbrella from a guest, nor would I submit a claim for them.  If you are extremely tight on your budget, consider supplying lower cost items that won't break your bank if they get damaged or disappear here and there. For example, you can purchase decent towels, blankets and sheets at discount stores, but if you buy them at a department store, they will be a higher cost and thus equate to more of a loss if something happens. 

Overall, the best thing you can do is set requirements for booking, and/or turn off instant book. You can elect to require guest to have things such as an ID, or prior reviews. By turning off IB, it also makes guest submit a request, which allows you to ask questions and essentially vet them prior to approval. This will help you weed out problematic guest and make for better hosting experiences.  

View Best Answer in original post

10 Replies 10
Jennifer1897
Level 10
Irvine, CA

Hi @Karen3489  Welcome to hosting. 

First and foremost, I am not sure where you read that Airbnb does background checks, because they do not. The only verification that is done is through the ID, which I believe is still optional. As far as the ID being a valid source of verification, there is a gray area, because we as host don't see the ID, and at times I have had guest book with obscure names such that are obviously just a moniker or nickname. For example, I had a guest book as "DJ Powers." I had to pry his actual name out of him, despite it saying he had a "Verified ID." 

I have hosted quite a few stays and made four claims through what is now known as Aircover. The best way to approach claims is to add photos if possible then provide verification of cost, whether it's just a generic quote online or an actual provider estimate.  I will give you an example. I had a couple smoke in the room. The drapes and throw pillows all had to be professionally cleaned. Obviously, this is something you can't provide photo evidence for.  What I did was I found a local dry cleaner and generated a quote on their site. I then took a screenshot and uploaded it to my claim.  I have done this a couple where the damage was not something tangible per say.  As far as before and after photos, I have never been asked to provide before photos showing the item was in good condition, but I do think it is wise to have photos of all areas of your accommodation, in the event a guest denies damage or the support team asks for further photos. 

As far as theft goes, you really have to pick your battles. Smaller items being lost or taken are generally seen as part of the business. I wouldn't be chasing down a towel or umbrella from a guest, nor would I submit a claim for them.  If you are extremely tight on your budget, consider supplying lower cost items that won't break your bank if they get damaged or disappear here and there. For example, you can purchase decent towels, blankets and sheets at discount stores, but if you buy them at a department store, they will be a higher cost and thus equate to more of a loss if something happens. 

Overall, the best thing you can do is set requirements for booking, and/or turn off instant book. You can elect to require guest to have things such as an ID, or prior reviews. By turning off IB, it also makes guest submit a request, which allows you to ask questions and essentially vet them prior to approval. This will help you weed out problematic guest and make for better hosting experiences.  

Thank you for your response and advice Jennifer! This makes me feel more confident about asking guests questions/vetting during the booking process.

I actually found this on the Airbb Help page stating they do background checks in the US: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1308

Did Airbnb approve/reimburse you for your claims?

I agree it would not be worth filing a claim for small items like a single towel or mug. And accidents do happen so I get it. However, if a guest clearly swiped all my toss pillows and throws, I think that warrants a claim for sure? Also, I am wondering if it's okay to ask guests directly about missing items or is that a no-no?

@Karen3489 

"If we have at least an accurate first name, last name, and date of birth for a Host or guest, we’ll perform a background check at the following times (only in the USA and India)"

notice that word "if" at the start. do guests provide dob when they sign up? 

and then in another linked article they all but admit the checks are not so great:
Because our background checks are limited, we can’t guarantee that they’ll identify all past criminal convictions or sex offender registrations by a guest or Host. Therefore, you shouldn’t rely on them as a guarantee that the user has no criminal background or other red flags.

and

While we have a process for periodically reviewing criminal records of active US users, we may only conduct a background check once per user, which means their most recent check may have been months before you’re due to interact with them.

Wow this is really sneaky and unethical. How discouraging. I guess I will really need to scrutinized each word carefully and watch their use of the word "ifs."

Hi Karen, your questions are legitimate and you're doing right asking for host feedback.

- I believe it is risky to do long term rent on Airbnb.  The platform does not provide adequate protection or options to hosts for this kind of stay.

- long term rent over 28 days can be subject to local laws, for example concerning evictions, check out your local situation!  and require them to sign a separate rental contract with everything that needs to be in a long term lease, to protect you (put this in your house rules).

- your house rules should be extremely thorough and reflect everything needed about LT stays.

- I would impose a short term stay first, to screen LT guests. People show their true colors very quickly.

- Airbnb is bragging about getting ID from guests.  THEY get it, but they will not share any aspect of it with you.  So they know who the guest is, which is already something, but under no circumstances will they share any aspect of it with you.  So put in your house rules that they will have to show you their ID within 48 hours of booking or whatever (show it on a video call for example, since asking for them to send a photo is frowned upon).

- You can take an additional security deposit thru resolution request, and send it back after the stay.  That would allow you to get refunded for damage to pillows or small things missing.  Put it in house rules and get their express agreement before accepting the booking.

-  They are bragging about increasing Aircover to 3 million dollars, this is useless in most cases.  To receive coverage you must first confront and accuse the guest asking for payment.  This is very unpleasant and in most cases you probably won't do it.  For large damage you'll do it but then also have to provide minute details such as purchase invoice of the object and proof that the damaged object is the exact one on the invoice, etc.  Then they will refund you a depreciated value of the object based on how old it is, not the purchase value for you to replace it. 

- If you feel you must turn on instant book, tick all the boxes - recommendation required from prior host etc, and use the IB message to set the tone and state your most important rules (extra security deposit, etc)

I've hosted hundreds of guests, most are great people.  

The key to filtering for a problem guest is communication, ideally before accepting the reservation, and before the stay.  If the person responds in a timely and polite manner to your messages, shows that they will be respectful, not entitled, and have read your house rules etc.

Hope that helps.

@Karen3489  you can contact the guests directly but someone who is swiping your pillows and throws didn't do it by accident so they are unlikely to admit to it. i've had a blanket and large cushion stolen and I messaged the guest and she ghosted me. the res was actually via BDC and they have no recourse for this stuff (and no review system) so i let it go. 

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hello @Jennifer1897 , just noticed that your answer has helped @Karen3489 , Thank you so much for actively helping out the community. Really appreciate it.👏🌟

Bhumika

Can't find what you're looking for? Click here to start a conversation!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Karen3489 

You think to much, 

Over the years and considering how many guest we have had very little has been stolen, Then again I have never done self check in I think that's where a lot of trouble come from,

All the guest know I only live 5 minutes away,

We had many properties on airbnb before covid we have had the odd towel go and the other week I noticed 2 ashtrays had gone, 

*** We had one take a full box of 300 tea bags, they had only booked for 3 days no way they had used all them, 

**[Inappropriate content removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

A few impressions...

1. Since you are brand new, why not start with a few short term stays first before plunging into long term stays?

2. There are legitimate reasons for claims of course, but also legitimate reasons for rejecting them. Savvy hosts put emphasis on one thing foremost, preventing problems in the first place by not offering a place with delicate things and not stressing over minutiae.

3. Do yourself a favor by not offering a place to 'come out even'; what that approach would mean is that every time you incur an unexpected cost you will feel like hosting is not worth it.

4. When you get a chance, retake a frontal picture of your place that shows it bigger than the one now, and maybe charge $99 to help address point #3 (occasional damage).

Relax, this has worked out for millions yet there are the doom-Sayers. It could be a lot of fun if approached with a smart attitude. Good luck.

I agree with you on points 1 and 2.

Point #3 tells me you are coming from a position of privilege. How are you to tell me what my reasons should be for hosting an Airbb. You do not know my game plan or long term investment goals

Point #4 is a little odd to me. How can you suggest a rate for my property or location that you know nothing about? 

Relax? Giving someone the keys to your house is a huge risk when

1) Airbb does not screen guests or do background checks. Any screening (or prevention) has to be done on my own through a message app that does not allow you to attach files such as a lease or signed agreement.

2) there is no damage deposit that you can count on. I was told here that the best I can do is buy everything super cheap and just replace stuff every time even it's its a couple hundred dollars.

3) You literally know nothing about the guests staying in your home and using your things. Not their address, not their employment, not their financial stability. When you go to a hotel you have to at least give them your ID!