Entering the unit during a guest's stay

Answered!

Entering the unit during a guest's stay

I'm curious if, as a general rule hosts enter their Airbnb rental units during a guest's stay (understanding that the guest is aware it's happening).  

For instance, to check for towels or bedding to launder or to replenish consumables, along the lines of maid service in a hotel but without tidying up or making beds, etc.

1 Best Answer
Sarah3236
Level 2
Bristol, GB

From a guest perspective, I don't have a problem with host entering a room when out... it's no different to housekeeping when you're staying in a hotel. 

That said, I ended up here on the forum to see what the policy was because I've just got back to my room to find that my host has been into the room and opened my suitcase. The bed hasn't been changed or any other likely reason they might have come in. Not really sure how to deal with this as I suffer with terrible anxiety related to confrontation.

View Best Answer in original post

60 Replies 60

@Sarah977 , Hey Thank you for your helpful response!

I just want to clarify that, the majority of the things I noticed were after-the-fact; the size of the dog by itself I gave the benefit of the doubt over, since it’s possible to have different ideas about what constitutes a “medium-size” versus a  “large” dog (plus,  I didn't exactly feel the need to split hairs with the dude when he arrived, thus, getting off to a horrible start -But now I’ll know better).  

However, the temperament of the dog being a different deal entirely, also Is something I couldn’t have Known until I’d had some time with The dog.  You know how some dogs are just hard to get to know?   Well, this Isn’t one of those dogs.  This dog is just Plain mean -he still is growling and barking at people after a week.  

So .... you are saying I should throw the guest out....That may indeed be the appropriate thing to do at this point, but I am Not sure how I would Approach it; do i need to contact air bnb?   I can always contact them or read up on their disposition in this type of situation.  

thanks again. 

@Kelli214  Of course I'm not the one faced with this guest, so don't know exactly what approach I'd take with him- he doesn't sound like someone who is easily approachable, but I might send him an Airbnb mesage (so it's documented for Airbnb to see, if necessary) something along the lines of  "Hi XX,  I'm pretty upset with the fact that you misrepresented the nature of your dog, telling me he was very friendly, when he is still growling and barking at others in the household after a week. You also assured me that the dog would be going everywhere with you, when this has proven not to be the case. I accepted you and your dog based on what you had told me, and because you have not followed through with your assurances, and left the dog alone in the room while you go out, I am wary about damage the dog may do or have done in there unsupervised. While I respect my guests' privacy, the fact that you have repeatedly disallowed me from entering the room to place fresh towels and do a quick clean leads me to feel you are trying to hide something. I am open to discussing this situation with you, but if you are not amenable to this, and continue to leave your dog alone here, it would be best if you look for another place to stay and cancel the remainder of your stay here, as I am quite uncomfortable with this state of affairs and it appears that you don't understand the need for mutual respect in a home-share."

If he doesn't answer, gets nasty about it, or insists on continuing his behavior, seems like the next step is to call Airbnb, explain the situation, asking them to look at your message stream with the guest, telling them he completely misrepresented the dog situation, that the dog is growling and barking at others in the household, which is completely unacceptable, and that you'd like them to cancel the rest of this guest's reservation with no penalties to you.

Or if the unfriendliness of the dog and the behavior of the guest is such that you are going to be stressed having him remain in your home altogether, which to me is a quite reasonable stance, skip the first approach and just ask Airbnb to cancel his booking. If he was just there for a week, it might not be worth doing, but having this situation in your home for a long-term reservation seems untenable to me.

Mara185
Level 2
Albuquerque, NM

Hello everyone.  I am Not a current host.  However  I have been preparing the groundwork,  to host overseas.  I am however a house -mom for an Airbnb.  I work with the host, clean and care for the property and guests.  I do pay a reduced rent  I don't agree with the host entering while the guest is away or in the house,  TO me it is an invasion of privacy.   As any other rental. Landlord /tenant policy... there must be a 24-hour notice to enter the property. That  is  more professional, agreeable and acceptable IN MY Opinion Unless there is  some emergency where I MUST ENTER - I will always give a 24-hour notice of entry when I do activate my listing.  I was  going  to travel  next week, but with the current situation I canceled the trip. 

Matlin0
Level 2
Fort Wayne, IN

Hi, I'm currently having an issue, my airbnb host had a showing of the rental while im staying here. She's bringing multiple people in to look around while I'm not here and without permission. Is this okay for her to do?

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Matlin0 No it isn't unless her listing said that she would (and even then its a bit rude not t warn you).

Probs best to bring up with the host that this is unacceptable. Alternatively contact Airbnb and ask them if you can move to a more suitable place.

Candace143
Level 2
Wisconsin Rapids, WI

I currently have a guest who has broken several rules and we have given him 2nd and 3rd chances.  It is the lower level of our home and we had to go down there to do some work, so we asked if it was alright.  He said yes.  We went down and I spent 3 hours cleaning and removed 6 bags of garbage.  Things were damaged.   They agreed to pay for damages and additional cleaning.   This was on Feb 4th (they arrived Dec 27th and are leaving Feb 28th).  The one major rule that was broken was no food in the bedrooms and there was SO MUCH food and dirty dishes everywhere.   The other rule was not leaving open food containers, which were everywhere and we now have an issue with mice.   I have had to go down there to set traps in the utility room and he is aware of this.  The place is still a mess and there is a terrible smell coming from the bedroom.   Am I able to go in and make sure nothing is wrong?  I  about to ask the guest to leave I think. 

@Candace143  Yes, just tell them they have to leave due to disrespecting house rules before you have a major rodent and cockroach infestation. Best not to enter the space without permission, as that will be grounds for Airbnb to issue a full refund if they lodge a complaint.

In the future, don' t give guests third chances. One polite but firm reminder of house rules and general respect should be more than enough.

Right now there is probably around $1000 in damages 

@Candace143  Even more reason to terminate their booking ASAP.

Candace143
Level 2
Wisconsin Rapids, WI

What I feel is ridiculous is the fact that they will get refunded for the nights they aren't staying. 

@Candace143 they should not be refunded any amount, plus they should be charged for the damages AND refused future rentals at airbnbs.

@Dianne269  What 'should' happen and what does happen are two different things. Anytime a host requests a cancellation, the guest is refunded any unstayed nights.

But of course they should be charged for damages.

Molly361
Level 1
Jackson, WY

I am renting an Airbnb from Karen in Chatham, IL.  The unit is a mother-in-law suite attached to the main home with is owner-occupied by the host Karen.  The host Karen informed me that she was selling the home and moving and would like to show the property.  I gave her permission for a single showing on two separate days.  She then showed the property again with asking my permission.  I asked that she not show the property again during my stay and that I would check out as soon as possible (difficult to due secondary to my work constraints).   She continues to show the property multiple times daily (but is not informing me) but will not honor my request not to enter the property with prospective buyers.  I came home last night just in time to find her about to enter the property again with other people.  I have my valuables in the property - a work computer, an $8,000 racing bicycle, jewelry).  She has offered to process me a refund but never does so.  Kindly advise on a course of action.  I have filed a complaint with Airbnb customer service but have not been offered any resolution on this front so far from Airbnb.  Kindly offer any advice you might have. 

I personally would cancel the reservation...

Attorney!!!