Entering the unit during a guest's stay

Answered!

Entering the unit during a guest's stay

I'm curious if, as a general rule hosts enter their Airbnb rental units during a guest's stay (understanding that the guest is aware it's happening).  

For instance, to check for towels or bedding to launder or to replenish consumables, along the lines of maid service in a hotel but without tidying up or making beds, etc.

1 Best Answer
Sarah3236
Level 2
Bristol, GB

From a guest perspective, I don't have a problem with host entering a room when out... it's no different to housekeeping when you're staying in a hotel. 

That said, I ended up here on the forum to see what the policy was because I've just got back to my room to find that my host has been into the room and opened my suitcase. The bed hasn't been changed or any other likely reason they might have come in. Not really sure how to deal with this as I suffer with terrible anxiety related to confrontation.

View Best Answer in original post

60 Replies 60
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Kate157
Level 10
SF, CA

Hi @Scott-and-Cathy0 as long as you have the guest's permission, I think that's fine. I would never enter the guest's space without permission except if there was a big emergency - I have never had such an emergency, but it's always a possibility.

Leemuel0
Level 2
Cabuyao City, Philippines

It's when guests did not mention any additional person entering the house that is not accounted during the stay. You can look for evidence of people being added to the itinerary without payment. It's easier and more convenient to check with an entire house when you can just look in the common areas (living, kitchen) and then call upon the guests in their rooms if anything escalated. Worst case scenario is when you have to really check with the rooms.

@Leemuel0 wrote:

It's when guests did not mention any additional person entering the house that is not accounted during the stay. You can look for evidence of people being added to the itinerary without payment. It's easier and more convenient to check with an entire house when you can just look in the common areas (living, kitchen) and then call upon the guests in their rooms if anything escalated. Worst case scenario is when you have to really check with the rooms.

YOU ARE !00% WRONG. YOU DO NOT ENTER A UNIT WHEN THE GUEST IS GONE. PERIOD!!!

@Nina75 :  I always ask,  but "my house my rules."

Incorrect, the owner has zero rights to enter without permission. That is illegal entry and it can lead to major legal consequences for you. Only the Police can legally enter the apartment without the renters permission.

@Henrik90  Unless an Airbnb guest has a long-term booking, over a month, they are not a "renter"- they are a short-term guest. Same as if you stayed in a hotel- the cleaning staff, security, and other hotel staff do not require permission to enter. 

I respect my guest's privacy and don't enter their room during their stay, unless they ask me to for some reason. But I would certainly enter if I thought there were an emergency situation, like I saw smoke pouring out under the door, or the one time it started raining and I noticed the guest had left all the windows wide open- if I hadn't nipped in for 15 seconds and closed them, she'd have come home to a soaking wet bed.

I can assure you that the vast majority of hosts have no interest and better things to do with their time than to be snooping through a guest's belongings or checking to make sure the guest is being clean and tidy and hasn't left a lamp on.

Douglas52
Level 2
Colorado, United States

That applies to long-term tenants, but I'm skeptical that it applies to short-term stays.

Wanda186
Level 2
Noosa Heads, Australia

How does a guest report this to Airbnb?. I know they were in my accommodation as they taped the air-conditioning vent down so it couldn't be used. Also, the part of the unit showing that it's in use was taped over.

If I stay at your unit and you enter the unit you be getting a cancellation and lawsuit buddy.

Rossana94
Level 1
Miami, FL

I wonder if it is allowed form someone who is not your host ! To allow themselves into the apartment...... and start criticizing you because you called the app to complain about the AC yet this person who I had no idea who it was ! Kept insisting she was sent by the “owner” kept telling me why I was complaining...... 

Ended up running away from the appt gave this unidentifiable female the keys and left 

Yes, its allowed! My business partners goes and speaks with my guests all the time, and fixes things when necessary. Its never been an issue except once. once in 3000 reservations. I dont fix things, my business partner does.

Wanda186
Level 2
Noosa Heads, Australia

How does a guest report this to Airbnb?. I know they were in my accommodation as they taped the air-conditioning vent down so it couldn't be used. Also, the part of the unit showing that it's in use was taped over.

Nina75
Level 10
LA, CA

It is 100% UNACCEPTABLE to enter a Unit when a guest is NOT there, or without their approval... That is an absolute violation of a persons Right to Privacy. Once I had to enter to fix a toilet and the guest gave me permission to enter when they were not there. Once I had bought a little table to take into the apartment and I asked the guest if I could drop it off inside of the front door and the guest said NO! I was pissed off but She has a right to privacy.

One time my business partner had to go into my backyard and pick up a ladder and even though I told the guest that he was coming by the guest was still pissed. I could care less, I can walk outsde of my property all day long and make sure that there are no parties make sire that everything is ok, but you do not enter a property unless you have approval.