Falsely accused of damage I did not cause - Airbnb sided with host

Hannah1445
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Falsely accused of damage I did not cause - Airbnb sided with host

I really need help! 

I recently stayed in Naples and there were some maintenance issues with the property and so I requested a partial refund and left an honest review. It was not wholly negative and I praised the hosts for being so nice and helpful. 

Anyway, the hosts have launched a vendetta against me. They left me an awful review full of disgusting lies and made a reimbursement request based on a false accusation. They claim that I soiled a towel which is an absolutely DISGUSTING accusation. I did no such thing and the entire ordeal has dragged on for 3 weeks, absolutely decimating my mental health with the stress and anxiety of being under a spotlight for something that I didn’t do and potentially having to pay because a host is seeking to take revenge.

I would like to add that Airbnb have not contacted me at all about the refund request that I made and so I am in limbo with that.

Little did I know that guests are expected to take photos of their towels upon checkout in order to defend themselves against such gross lies. If I had known this, I would have photographed every square inch of the towel. I have no way to defend myself. The host did not accuse me of anything until a few days after I made my refund request. After a week or poor communication with the Resolution Centre they have found in the hosts favour and I am expected to pay for something I didn’t do and the damning review he left will not be taken down either. I’m devastated, humiliated and completely in pieces. No matter what I say to “Customer Services” they do not believe me. I feel awful, dirty and sick to my stomach. 

Can anyone assist me? I’ve been crying for hours and have no idea what to do.

3 Replies 3
Marie8425
Top Contributor
Buckeye, AZ

@Hannah1445 

My question would be the pleasant review your female the negative review your male?  Your name and picture implies a female Guest.  I would focus on the inaccuracy you can prove incorrect.  Obviously a male caused damages and Airbnb should not allow a review for a male on a female profile.

Hi @Marie8425 , 

I am female, yes. 

I assumed that Airbnb would notice this but now they have made a decision and they have told me that I need to pay. 

I don’t know what else I can do 😔

@Hannah1445 

I don't know that you can change the damages case I don't know the details.  I would start a new request to remove a review obviously about a male and your female.  Airbnb does not allow reviews to be edited and the review says he and his and no referral to a female so not an error.