Getting jaded about how clueless ABB guests are... Help?

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

Getting jaded about how clueless ABB guests are... Help?

Below lies the VERY LONG saga of 24 hours in the life of an ABB host when clueless guests invade your inbox with nary a clue about how to travel in the adult world...

Read if your inbox is less exciting. Please advise if you're able. 🙂

Thursday 1233 AM - A guest whose profile says they are in same state/same time zone as me sends me a Reservation Request for dates in November.

Good News: they have to send the request bc they're asking for 3 days in a time when I've set a 5 day minimum.

Bad News: they want to stay for 3 days instead of 5 and checkout at 10am on Thanksgiving Day. They also have a brand new, entirely blank profile, haven't read my listing and their message says "looking forward to exploring the city and enjoying your place"

Thursday 1239 am - I send a message bc 1 - she hasn't read my listing 2- she has a new profile

"Hi there! We've received your message, Thanks for inquiring and Welcome to the Barn!!

We appreciate that you've found us, please read the whole listing including the House Rules. There you'll find the "Hidden Questions" awaiting your response (you may need to click the + Read More button to see the full rules text and a full-size device is always easier for detail reading on the listing). Knowing that you've read the whole listing helps us assure successful stays at the Barn.

Also, this week is currently set to allow longer stays (4+ days) that don't include a checkout on Thanksgiving Day. Were your plans for that week flexible?

Please let me know if you have any questions, we look forward to meeting you! Thank you, Kelly Wheelock

PS...
What brings you to the area?
Who are you coming with?
Do you know your arrival time?
Does your Guest Profile tell us enough about YOU to know who we'll be hosting??"

I also attach links about how to create a good profile & a generic these are good guest behaviors article from ABB Help Center.

Friday 915am - She answers, no they've made flights already (her profile says she lives 3 hours from me, not a location people would normally fly from), can I make any adjustments? She addresses none of the other things I've said.

Friday 1015 - 
Good morning XXXXX! The cleaners charge a 'holiday surcharge' for checkouts on holidays, if you'd like to cover that then I could adjust. ($65)
Also, I'd want you to have read the full listing before I confirm your booking since you become obligated to those terms.
Come back and tell me what you think of that after you read those. Thanks! Kelly

Friday 1142 -
Good Morning Kelly! I dont mind covering $65. Will you be able to do some adjustments on the checkout time on Thursday then? Its completely okay if you arent okay with it.
Also, will we have access to oven by any chance? Because we were wondering if we could bake

Friday 1215 - She still hasn't read the listing!! I know this because we dont have an OVEN!!

XXXX, please go ahead and read the listing on a full-size computer. The kitchen is covered extensively in text and in photos. We’re more setup for snacks & reheating rather than full-size baking. If you’d rather stay throughout the day on Thursday then yes, you can stay as long as you like if you select purchasing Thursday night. With a late Thursday checkout then the cleaners would come at 10am Friday morning so you’d have the room rate for Thursday but not the holiday surcharge. Up to you which you’d prefer.

Friday 1223 - 
Okay Kelly. Got it. I have read the listing and instructions. I would like to go ahead and confirm the booking.

*At this point, I'm ready to give up, hit decline and be done with this girl bc SHE STILL HASN'T READ THE LISTING!!! But I have until midnight, so I just let it sit for a bit

Friday 130 - Second guest hits Inquiry in my inbox and she wants to checkin TOMORROW
Hi Kelly 🙂 I am a tired Momma who is looking for a quiet nature-filled getaway. Does the Barn sound like it fits those parameters? Is there a place to sit outside?

**** Now I have 2 of these girls at once, seriously, does the barn have a place to sit outside? Is the thumbnail photo of a porch swing???

Friday 217
Guest1: Please dont hesitate to reach out if you have any questions/concerns. Looking forward to the stay 🙂

*Oh dear, deep breathing.... I'm still weighing punting this girl or asking a 3rd time

Friday 241, responding to Guest 2
Hi xxxx! I get being a tired Momma right now! Are you looking at the Real Texas Barn listing? I'm concerned that you can't see the photos of the porches, those are usually fairly prominent in the listing.

Friday 509, Good host in me wins out, responding to Guest 1
Hey, sorry! I must have missed a message somewhere. From what I can see on my end: your profile is incomplete, I don’t have an answer back from you about Thursday/Friday and your departure time and that section that says “make sure you answer these questions” I haven’t seen that back either.
Our internet has been having issues today so I apologize if you’ve already sent this info. Please try again. Thanks!

Friday 523
We will check out on Thursday at 10 am and we are willing to pay the cleaning charges of $65 as well

*seriously......

Friday 535
To answer your question in the instruction section, I have not made any prior airbnb booking and there are no roosters in the barn
Please let me know if you need any additional information from my end.

***Hallelujah, we've made it.... At this point I'm seriously thinking that @Robin4  is right, IB is better and this nonsense is for the birds

Friday 601, Guest 1
I say "great, I'll accept your booking now, look for the email to come from me with your rental contract, etc... btw you should add an email to your profile and download the app, yadda yadda, thanks so much" Whew!! Problem solved... have a booking... new guest, but we've managed...

Friday 612, Guest 2
xxxxx, are you there? It takes abb a full 24 hours to prepare/process a new reservation for arrival, so we're running out of time for a Saturday arrival, though I'm happy to discuss Sunday if that's better for you. Lmk how I can help, thanks, Kelly

Saturday 1224
Kelly, we had to change our plans because of which we had to cancel. We are so sorry for the inconvenience caused.

And still no word from Guest 2 AND I got the email from ABB informing me that the guest who spelled out their WhatsApp phone number in an inquiry last week was removed for being a scammer, shocker.

UGH! I have a hair-trigger reaction to clueless already, and days like this aren't helping!! How do you keep your resolve when guests are this obtuse? What would you have done?
30 Replies 30
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Kelly149   About halfway through your post I was yelling at my computer for you to DECLINE these people!  You have the patience of someone who has a great bottle of wine and a massage appointment waiting in the wings.😋

@Linda108 thank you!! It's such a balance. I tend toward a hard and fast No!, husband (who btw isnt the one handling communication with these people) tends toward 'a bird in the hand' and wants to give people the benefit of the doubt... but those are minutes of my life I'll never get back

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

@Kelly149 , yup.

I am titling what is happening in my own inbox just now "All Locals All The Time". 

@Lawrene0 @Wouldn’t you just fall over if a guest said “is there outdoor space?”

these people should all stay home!!!

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Kelly149   

• She still hasn't read the listing!!
    I know this because we dont have an OVEN!!

Are You sure? Maybe You've got one but forgot about it. Go and have a look.

@Ute42  We do actually have a countertop oven but I wasn’t about to get into that. 
baking!?!? in an ABB!?! 
seriously, bake at home. Or go visit one of our lovely local bakeries. 

@Laura2592 ‘s wedding baker can bake here. No one else. 

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

I did a double take thinking this was my inbox for a second. 

@Kelly149 

@Colleen253 am I a sucker for spending all day talking to her? what would you have done?

@Kelly149  Well, guest 1 would no doubt have gone on to be just as much of a pita during the stay. One that flaky should really be a quick NO. Guests like that usually end up costing more, one way or the other.  Not worth it. 

@Colleen253 that's the million dollar question, right?... will the money outweigh the trouble... the problem with abb guests is that they have so many ways to cause trouble

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Kelly149  Well, guest #1 is so clueless and communication-challenged, she probably meant she wanted to roast a Thanksgiving turkey, rather than bake some cookies.

I would have declined her booking after the second time she ignored the questions and everything else you wrote her. You are far, far more patient and diplomatic than I would be able to muster. And I don't think people like this deserve such ongoingly polite and patient responses. 

The "bird in the hand" just pooped in that hand. At some point fairly early on in communication with a guest, I think a host has to decide if further communication, rather than a decline, is worth engaging in, on the off chance that this guest will actually book, or not cancel, or turn out to be a good guest (chances are, they won't). Had she actually booked and kept the reservation, what you had to look forward to was her not replying to messages asking for an ETA, failing to read the check-in or check-out instructions, assuming that there would be amenities which weren't listed, etc. When someone shows you clearly who they are, believe it!

Maybe if hubby was doing the communicating, he would have changed his tune about giving them the benefit of the doubt 🙂 Sure, he saw the communications, but he wasn't the one sitting there having to come up with appropriate responses to their cluelessness and total ignoring of the content of your messages.

@Sarah977   "The "bird in the hand" just pooped in that hand."

That is just gold! 😄

And exactly why I don't want a bird in my hand until it's cooked. I can understand Robin's rationale for preferring Instant Book, but since that doesn't work for me I tend to just decline quickly if it's not clear that what the guest wants is a match for what I'm offering. If the guest is new to Airbnb I might give them a brief explanation of how to optimize the search filters, and wish them the best of luck finding the perfect listing for their wishes.

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

OMG @Kelly149 I would have just declined the first one as soon as they started asking for special check outs on Thanksgiving.

We got smart and now block off Thanksgiving and New Year's Eve. Thanksgiving guests are messy and want to have a full on meal. Our cleaner is not coming over that day or on Black Friday to scrub down pots and remove turkey carcasses from the fridge. New Year's Eve? Ripe for a party. Again, my cleaners aren't coming NY Day to clean bathrooms after guests have too much to drink.

We don't have as much trouble with Christmas stays but it seems like people visit family and aren't holing up to make their own huge feast. Reservations have to be from the 23rd through the 26th or 27th-- we don't set up or clean up Christmas Eve or Christmas Day.

@Laura2592 well, yeah, I wasn't doing a thanksgiving checkout for nothing, that's for sure... and the cleaning people are often me, but I always refer to "them" in regard to extra charges bc it seems to help people not think, wait, I'm already paying you, why would I pay extra