Guests: Couple versus Single

Answered!
Harold75
Level 10
Montreal, Canada

Guests: Couple versus Single

Adapting your home.jpg

Greetings fellow hosts!
 I would love to get your comments and advice.

I am a humble Canadian host, who lives on-site in my home. I offer solo travellers a private bedroom (with single bed, desk and clothes drawers) and private bathroom.

The  private bedroom is about 175 square feet of space (not including the bedroom closet).

A few guests suggested I offer the private bedroom for a couple; remove the single bed (measuring 39" x 75 "), and put in a double bed (measuring 54" x 75").

To do so, I would have to remove the clothes drawers and get creative in the closet!

Would the end result  be too limiting, too cramped?  

As a host, do you tend to get more guest as couples  versus  singles?   

Again, your comments and advice would be greatly appreciated!  

Thank you! 

1 Best Answer
Ale113
Level 10
Barcelona, Spain

My experience:

If you have "special" House Rules or details you need every single guest to do, **don't host couples**. 

If most of guests don't read your room's profile, be almost sure that one in the couple won't have any idea about your space before coming.

Also, **never take out a desk/table from a guest room**. It's one of the things people use to ask for. To the point that my big room don't have any table and I had complaint in the reviews because of that (true!).

Personally, I stopped hosting couples and I truly think this is one of the best desicions I took in Airbnb.

View Best Answer in original post

99 Replies 99

@Helen427   

Thanks for commenting.

My cottage: yes  I will focus on the double bed accommodation.  I host that remotely when I am in the city.  It is not my shared space.   

Now when it comes to a shard space with guest or guests,  point  raised in these discussions is noise  For my shared space situation,  a single guest is "worth it"    You may ask why? 

Potential of increase in noise from couples versus singles 

Hearing two people talking, stomping in the hallway,  doors closing,  or muffled sounds thru the walls.   

Emma294
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

Hi I have a single room and a double room. To be honest I get as many single travellers as I do couples. Many people use airbnb as singles and I feel it works well. The only observation I would make is if you put a double bed in the room, you could get some negative reviews about lack of space and then end missing out on bookings. Emma

@Emma294   Thanks for replying.     I agree with you that a double bed may generate negative reviews concerning a lack of space in the room.   I can also imagine more noise generated because it is now two guest instead of one 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Harold75   I think the noise issue depends on what the reason for people booking your space is, for example, in our case, 90% of our guests come to visit New York, so they are gone from morning until some time in the evening.  If people would book your space and plan to go sightseeing, then the noise probably wouldn't be that much of an issue. It's worth trying it out though, you can always go back to a single guest if you find that 2 people makes things feel too cramped.  I don't know about a luggage rack, it's kind of useless, I'd get something more like a small trunk or a table, something that could serve dual purposes, where as 'luggage rack' is only good for the one thing, if that  makes sense.

@Harold75 What I was trying to explain the other day (I think I explained it in a clumbsy way). The first couple of years I was having far to low prices and I think most guests chose my room mainly because of the price. Copenhagen is expensive so most of the guests I got cooked a lot and was in the apartment much more than the guests I got now. The guests I got now are usually leaving in the morning and are coming back late in the evening. They hardly ever cook. It's perfect for my setup as my home is more suitable for "bed and bath". Maybe it doesn't matter in your situation how much the guests use the kitchen? I just wanted to point out that there is a big difference in hosting couples. That is also why I redecorated (it was a cheap re-decoration btw) and now buy flowers, snacks etc. to make up for the higher pricetag. When it comes to noises - all of my guests have been very considerate when it comes to "nightly noises". I have never heard anything. 

@Sandra0  Thanks for the additional information.   You make a good point about increasing prices.   

In my home, two guests used the kitchen to make breakfast.  NO guest ever made supper.  I would prefer guests not use the kitchen to make complicated meals.  Simple meals, breakfast or a light lunch. That is good. 

And you are correct :  THERE IS A BIG DIFFERENCE in hosting couples versus singles.  

I can imagine an increase in noise of all sorts!   Talking, walking in the hallway, slamming doors.. Noise is doubled!  

@Mark0  Thanks for sharing.  I tend to find the same ...  guest gone from morning until evening.   It is when the arrives back after 10 pm.   I have discovered most guests are quiet and respectful.   As it is one guest,  the noises are not as loud. Noise?  By this I mean noises such as walking in the hallway, shutting the main house door, going to the bathroom (flushing), etc    I shudder to think of two guests! 

You mention the luggage: good point about it being single-purpose, only good for one thing. 

Harold75
Level 10
Montreal, Canada

Couple versus Single hosting

Discovery number #2  :  an increase in hot water consumption!   I did not see that one coming!

@Harold75  What, you assumed all couples would shower together in order not to run up your hot water bill? 🙂

@Sarah977   Silly me!   🙂

Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

Lots of good Ideas @Harold75 , being capable of hosting for 2 is a no brainer, more bookings will follow immediately.  I think I would get rid of the dresser, put the desk on the wall the dresser is on and put in a platform full or even queen with drawers underneath and maybe add a nice maple clothing hanging bar beside the desk.  That would give you the space, maintain business friendly and still give some space for two people to walk around in the space.  a Trundle bed is also a possibility but both desk and dresser would have to be on the same wall to open it with space.  Just some thoughts, safe travels

@Melodie-And-John0   I appreciate your reply.   Being capable of hosting for 2 , I can see more bookings.  This is what hosts seem to notice.    The complications are the management of the space (you give ideas here, thank you).    I also noted increase in hot water!   Possibly an increase in background noise levels (like heavy walking in the hallway, slammed doors, disagreements etc).    So much to think about.    So it comes down to : Is it worth it? 

I'm pretty new to this, four guests so far, but I don't think couples are worth the extra trouble given that you can only charge a small amount more. My roommate experience of many years also warns me off couples, the status of their relationship tends to dominate their surroundings.

Ale113
Level 10
Barcelona, Spain

My experience:

If you have "special" House Rules or details you need every single guest to do, **don't host couples**. 

If most of guests don't read your room's profile, be almost sure that one in the couple won't have any idea about your space before coming.

Also, **never take out a desk/table from a guest room**. It's one of the things people use to ask for. To the point that my big room don't have any table and I had complaint in the reviews because of that (true!).

Personally, I stopped hosting couples and I truly think this is one of the best desicions I took in Airbnb.

@Ale113   Thank you for sharing your experience.   You give an interesting perspective. 

One partner reads the description, the other does not.   I can visualize this happening!  It sounds so true! 

AGREE   Leave the desk (table)  is the room!  Yes!  Guests use that table all the time.  

You were not joking when you said you do not host couples. I saw your listing.  In the photograph of the bed it shows over the photo Only one guest.  You have clearly made your intentions known.  A single guest.  Very clear. 

Thanks again for sharing.