Guests booked for 2 months then called to say they will cancel unless allowed to bring 2 cats.

Tami1
Level 4
Benton, KY

Guests booked for 2 months then called to say they will cancel unless allowed to bring 2 cats.

First of all,  it bothered me  that they called weeks after booking to inform me about the cats, leaving no "paper trail" on airbnb's messaging platform.  I told them I had allowed this once before but only if they agreed to pay for professional cleaning costs  in advance.  They agreed no problem, yeah right!  After called 3 cleaning places I learned the price would be 250-300.  I will message them this news later today.  These guests  are young, 2 single guys and a couple who look to be in their 20's.  They're all staying here to set up medicare support temp offices  in the 4 walmarts nearest me for 62 days.   Honestly I need this booking, the season for tourists here is May-August. After that I have managed to get a few traveling professionals over the years but it's slow.   Should I go ahead and  add the fee now? I doubt there's anyone else who'd allow 2 cats to stay inside unsupervised all day M-F for 2 months.  On the other hand,  the  last thing I want is for cats to spray in my place or leave a stinky mess that I am stuck with!    Thanks for your opinions.  

2 Replies 2

@Tami1 

I guess this is up to you but I would definitely put all this information in an Airbnb message to them to document it. Yes, I would get the fee now before they arrive. 

@Tami1. Hi Tami, if you do accept consider the fee compared with boarding fees for 2 cats for 2 months as well as the potential clean up fee. You probably also need to send them a pet questionnaire and agreement for this length of stay.

With cats they will scratch as well as spray and even if short haired drop hair so your carpets and rugs are fair game. Do you have a scratching post, areas they can sit in the sun inside as well as outside? Kitty litter trays; where are they going to sleep?, etc. Its possible they are bringing all these things and are responsible pet owners but you need to ask and get it in messages so its in writing. Invest in some good de odour treatments as well.

I host pet friendly but they are really only suitable for dogs as cats would need to be kept locked up at night, given all the vulnerable local wildlife.

Just my 2 cents but I think your gut is telling you something. Why not offer some price special promotions- spread over multiple bookings it may be cheaper and less stressful in the long run.