Guests canceled reservation after their checkout

Muslim4
Level 8
Almaty, Kazakhstan

Guests canceled reservation after their checkout

Today a few hours my guests left - Airbnb canceled their reservation. I immediately contacted the support and they told me they canceled it 'due to Guest complaint that the listing was messy/dirty'. That was the first cancellation ever for me and the guests already left the apartment. I always ask my guests if everything was okay before and during their stay. They didn't have any complaints at all.

So, I have a very serious question to Airbnb: why is that happening? Why is there this kind of option for guests that allows them to rent someone's else's property and live there for free? 

I don't think that cancellation after a guest already left a property makes sense at all unless it's an emergency or something extraordinary. I think that's totally unreasonable because it's a good way for scammers/fraudsters (or I don't know how to call them) of all kind to rent a property and after they left ask for a refund using any fake reason like 'dirty listing' or anything else. It means that any guest can do that to live for free.   

3 Replies 3
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Muslim4 I would call/message Airbnb and point out that the guest is supposed to give the host a chance to remedy a cleaning issue. Suggest to them that you will take them to the small claims court if they do not reinstate your payment.

I contacted the support today regarding the money that they deducted from my account. They apologized and scheduled the payouts with the same amount of money that was already deducted.

Wanted to make sure that this cancellation won't affect my listing visibility and my super host status that I am willing to regain. Asked them about it, they told me I shouldn't worry about it.

Muslim4
Level 8
Almaty, Kazakhstan

I also think that if a guest have a complaint after they left, the reason for cancellation should be VERY SERIOUS. It should be adequate enough because they already used the services a host provided them with. Otherwise, it means guests can do anything they want. They accidentally found a 'dirty towel' or 'stain on pillowcase' - and that's all - they complain that the entire property was dirty and they want a full refund.