Help needed

Help needed

Hy guys

I am looking to understand the aibnb policy to protect clients.

there is insurance for host but what about us

we book a place on airbnb at 133 euro 2 nights. We arrived, the place was scary and smelly and was middle of the night plus a game in the city so we had to pay 650 eur to take another place urgently.

prior that we reached airbnb customer support and asked for a different stay for the second night but because prices were now 400 euro/night and not 60 euro/night they told us to book another hotel and they will give us a coupon of 20 euro and 44 euro for the first night . We paid 640 and they wanted to give us 64 euro. 
I want to understand, should they provide a stay and cover for the cost? And if they don’t have availability and we booked on hotels , shouldn’t they cover for the total pay? 
where is the protection here? Was it our fault that the listing was not safe to stay and the prices were higher? What if we didn’t had the money? Stay in the streets, that is airbnb protection?

did you had similar case? How did you get it solved? I want to take a lawyer on this. What do you think? Who knows the policy protection for the customers?

thank you 

3 Replies 3
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Sescu2 Believe me, from all the stories you hear on this Community Centre, Aircover for hosts is just as bad as Aircover for guests. Sadly there are bad guests and bad hosts out there. Interestingly there are also bad hotels so basically whatever you do travel is a risk. The only mitigation is to study reviews and I would be interested to her what they were like for the place you booked. Also was it at the cheap end of the market?

@Mike-And-Jane0 , agreed. Reviews and ratings are very important in determining whether to book a place (at least with me). There are several reviews mentioning concerns (scary, sketchy, etc….) and with a rating of 4.50 stars this would have been a big no for me. When looking at a place to stay, I only look at places with a 4.95 or higher. I also read the reviews from past guest(s).  Safety and cleanliness are important factors to me vs cost. 

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Sescu2 

unfortunately customer services at Airbnb is appalling and not trained properly in its policies .

there is indeed a guest cover policy.

Follow the advice on your booking confirmation if a listing is not as described you need to approach the host with evidence of the issue  to try and resolve .

If it can't be resolved then you contact Airbnb they  can indeed cover alternative higher cost accommodation if that's all that's available . 

search Airbnb Help website for 'guest cover'