How do you encourage guests to read your house rules?

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

How do you encourage guests to read your house rules?

Paula_0-1722976637252.jpeg

Hello everyone 😊

House rules are a key part of creating a great experience for guests and Hosts alike. Many Hosts in our community have emphasized the importance of encouraging guests to read and follow them. Some Hosts have mentioned that, once the booking process is complete, they share this information through a message via the Airbnb app. Other Hosts have preferred to leave a printed copy in the accommodation.

Today, we invite you to share your strategies for encouraging guests to read your house rules. What are some of the most successful strategies you've implemented?🌟

Please share your thoughts in the comments, and thank you so much for sharing.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

19 Replies 19
Patricia2526
Top Contributor
Manila, Philippines

Hello @Paula 

We use icons or graphics posted near door entrance  to emphasize important rules, such as no smoking or quiet hours, which can catch the guest’s attention more effectively than text alone.

We meet our guests in person, so we go over the key rules during the check-in process. But If you do self-check-in, consider sending a welcome message that includes a reminder to review the house rules.

And under our listing descriptions “other things to note” we require guests to acknowledge the house rules as part of the booking process.

I noticed some guests 'broke' our house rules and soon realized that many people simply won't read the house rules before they make the reservation. 

Since I still prefer guests know the house rules before booking, I now include house rules in the response to guest's inquiry and reservation request. I will approve only after they confirm the acceptance of the house rules. 

Obviously, the house rules need to be short and simple. Too many rules can be ineffective. 

Guy991
Top Contributor
Sintra, Portugal

Hello @Steve4385 ,

What do you do when the guest doesn’t reply to the message and the time to accept or decline a request is approaching the deadline?

Simone1943
Level 2
Phoenix, AZ

I have them include and on QR code for them to read prior to booking and check-in.

If they haven’t read them, I do kindly ask, especially if it states something specific to their booking - just to confirm. That way there are no surprises and a positive outcome on both sides!

Joaquim125
Level 2
Maputo, Mozambique

Hi Paula,

I prefer to leave a summarized document with key dos and dont’s related to the house  policy.

Joaquim